Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got an 87 GL wagon!

NinjaTech

• 2 weeks later...

I got a weber 32/36 today for $70. The guy said it was off a toyota 20R or 22R and was recently rebuilt. It's also a manual choke model which is great since I wont have to bash up my PS reservoir or adjust it seasonally.

The jetting is as follows:

Primary/Secondary

Idle 50/55

Main 140/135

A/Cs 160/170

I'm going to switch the A/Cs since it should be 170/160 then just see how it is with the current jetting.

Kool, that should help a bit, especially with some exhaust work done! Ever get that glasspack put on?

~Eric

yeah I hope it helps. It will declutter the engine bay at least. I didn't get the glasspack on. I haven't been able to get to my friends, especially since I started getting really sick last week. Almost over the cold now though. It's unfortunate that I can't just pull my car into the welding shop at school. Someone stole the portable welder so I can't do anything like that anymore. :(

• 2 months later...

Been awhile since I posted last. I been pretty busy working on my race car for the next lemons race.

Yesterday I finally got some tires for my peugeot wheels. They're 205/75R15(27") AT's. I haven't taken it offroad yet but I might take it up to capital forest and see about going up some trails. All i had to do was take the front mudflaps off and hammer in the front corners of the front fenders. It rubs a little bit when I'm turning in a parking lot where the mud flap was on one side so I need to take my BFH to that. :banana:

I also got my weber carb on the car about a month ago, it's been a lot better than the hitachi but I'm still having problems. I have some issues with it backfiring and dieseling more often lately. It also has a little hesitation sometimes when I go to accelerate, it's worst when it's cold. I did step up the main idle jet to a 55 and it seemed to help out some. If you have suggestions I'm all ears.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Edit: Can a moderator change the thread title to NinjaTech's 87 wagon build? Thanks. :)

Edited by NinjaTech

Tried and failed to get up the peak in capital forest. So far I'm happy with the tires though. The trail is pretty tough with some of the rocks leaving you with a flat face to try to pull a wheel up. I really need to get my LSD installed. I would weld it if it wasn't my daily.

only got a few pics but here they are. :)

CIMG0803.jpg

CIMG0804.jpg

CIMG0815.jpg

Very cool. We pretty much have twin cars but mine is SPFI. I still have a bit of work to do to make her a reliable daily driver. I really cannot wait to get her up and running.

Here is mine http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110173

haha, so we do. I need to get a new hood for mine. I'm also going to put my new radiator in, in a few minutes. It was getting a little hot yesterday but I'm pretty sure my head gaskets are still intact.

Also, I might go to Tahuya next weekend with my friend in his ranger if anyone wants to meet up. A small subie meet would be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey! I was thinking about going with the General Grabbers too. They seem to be about the cheapest AT tire around. How they working for you?

I didn't get them, if you looked at the pics you'd see that I have wild countrys. I got them for $100. They're been working pretty well for what's around here.

I still need to get a new axle though, been pretty broke lately and haven't made it to the junkyards yet.

Let me know if that wrecking yard axle works out for you. NOW I've posted in your thread!

It was nice meeting you today.

Hey man, it was cool running into someone from here. Thanks for getting my friend in the yard. I didn't actually get any of those damn axles off, not sure what I was doing wrong for them to not come off since they slid on the splines ok. I did get a new tail light though. I ended up breaking my 3/8ths ratchet so I have to take that to sears now :-\.

nice build.

Thanks dude.

I went back to pull a part to get the axles that defeated me last time and was victorious! I was disappointed that one of the cars was gone so I only got two axles instead of four.

I'm also going to start working on my rear LSD swap in the next day or so.

I wish the weather was going to be better this week since there were two legacys that haven't had anything on the engines messed with yet or any wires cut.

Hey, nice looking Wagon, I just got started on mine and haven't even posted on the off road yet. Where did you get you information for DIY 2" lift?

I am thinking of starting out with a mild lift. Keep up the cool pictures also.

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112653

I just used the search function and end up finding this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103951&highlight=2+inch+lift&page=2

It was really easy to make but I redid the front the other day since I had some positive camber. I haven't had a chance to install them yet. I'll post up pics when I do.

CIMG0847.jpg

CIMG0848.jpg

Also, progress on the LSD removal. I rounded off one of the stub bolts since I didn't know it was a recessed torx. So now I have to go get some 1/4 drive torx sockets since I only have 3/8 drive ones.

CIMG0850.jpg

CIMG0849.jpg

I forgot to post these pics of what I did to that stubborn busted axle.

CIMG0843.jpg

CIMG0844.jpg

CIMG0845.jpg

CIMG0846.jpg

The splines were rusted pretty good and the PB didn't even get in there at all.