Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Might buy a used ea82

K, my motor has 120,000 miles on it.. 1986 GL wagon carbbed, and its not a horrible ticking from the valve lashers...

I have an offer on a 1988 DL wagon that was wrecked.. the front is smashed, but from what I can tell, the motor is fine. just the rad is fuct.. Its a replaced motor with 50 some thousand miles on it

What is the compression reading I should look for to decide if I should buy it.. I think I can get the whole car prolly for 100 bucks just so the kid can get rid of it (college student)

He's from my home town, and he said the car ran good before he wrecked it.. The only think is he doesnt have a Tach, so I wonder how hard he drove it, not seeing the red line

As for the rest of the car, I'm gonna part off the running gear and shocks/struts and trash the rest of the car..

Anything else I should look for on the motor?

I talked to my buddy tonite, and 150 was the going price... the only thing thats really wrong with the car is the front clip is bent, and the front windshield is gone but the rest of the car is alright...

Buying it seems pretty good.. I will have a spare single range 4wd tranny and all the running gear.. who knows it might have new cvs on it..

Originally posted by torxxx

What is the compression reading I should look for to decide if I should buy it.. I think I can get the whole car prolly for 100 bucks just so the kid can get rid of it (college student)

Mine's an '88 also, and it puts out compression readings of 170-180. Smashed rad is no problem, you'd probably need to change it out anyway by this point. Also, unless he was in the habit of racing the engine, no tach isn't a problem. My DL doesn't have one, and it's easy enough to shift by ear.

I envy you guys...getting all these $100-200 deals on EA82 cars. Can't find any in this part of the country...rust ate them all, I think.

alright I'll do that..

I'm taking off everythign thats still good and then as for the rest of hte car, its getting chopped up into pieces that will it in the back of my wagon and gettin toted out into the woods...

I just gotta remember to get all the vin numbers off the car.. Theres the door vin, driver side top dash vin and the vin on the engine right

Yes YES!!!

I'm starting to like this idea.. I dont know though, the frame rails of the unibody would need some serious bending to get it back.. At the middle of the 1 and 3 cylinders it is bent at like a 20 degree angle from where it was supposed to be

Guess you dont know about South Cushman.. lol Redneck party land.. last weekend I was at the ice track and there is about 30 whole cars out there...

But seriously I wouldnt really throw it in the woods.. I'd take it to the large metal container at the transfer station........ Free garbage disposal for anyone who lives in FBKS

uPDATE...

Went to my jy today and talked the owner. He rebuild a XT turbo.

Engine is a used, but its got a year warranty and I know the guy pretty well, if anything happened to the motor, he'd fix it right up.

5 speed push button 4wd.. New clutch, new exhaust

He mentioned trading me for my wagon.... The car will be finished in the next few days and then I'ma go test drive it.

And hten theres the 1988 GL-10 wgagon.. Engine fire wrecked under the hood but hte firewall saved the rest of the car. the interior is very clean..

400 bucks for that... Wonder if it would be work getting that car too?

Hell its 4 extra cj joints, and exhaust all the seats I need and nice new carpet......

Anyone need parts?