Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine Rebuild kit for EA82T?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:10 AM

Where can I get one at a good price?

Complete rebuild kit. Seals, gaskets, rings, ect.

I'm planning on buying the XT sitting in the partsyard... a rebuild later with a new oil and water pump and battery, it should be a happy little wedgie. (new exhaust and twin turbo'd too)

All of this work to come within about two or three months time.

#2 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

Jon easy as reading
Parts slightly above cost

As for your "statement"
"twin turbo'd too"
That is a very bold statement. Sure hope it is "of fact".
Please by all means keep us a breast of the developments.
This car will no doubt have the very first drive by wire, steering, brakes and clutch.
A radical engine and fuel management system is no doubt planned to go with these TTs??

It will be a marvel of bodging, lookin' forward to the pictures.
Here's gid on ya. and hope it comes to pass

#3 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:51 PM

my current pay (not including overtime, which I do receive a good amount of) along with my bills...

I make over $540 every two weeks.

My current bills are $100 a paycheck towards my rent. $40 a week towards gas... and $20 a week towards spending. (CDs, food, whatever I want) I'm being more frugal now than I ever have before. LONG STORY. I used to bring in $330 a week after taxes and I don't know what happened to it. That was months back.

So... $220 a paycheck out of $540 (and I do get overtime, so my actual pay will be higher... this is all after taxes) I can save up potentially $320 or more every two weeks.

In three months I should have $320 * 3 months * 2 paychecks a month = $1920.

* Car - $350 to $400. See how much I can haggle down.
* Major rebuild kit - $200 to $250. Don't know, NEED a quote.
* extra turbo - $75 or $100
* custom exhaust needed made up - $200 to $250, nothing fancy. can get some of it made by myself and friends. the downpipe is the important part.
* new injectors - don't know what works or what doesn't, don't know what to figure.
* solvents and such - figuring high, $60
* paints - $20 just to be safe
* cam regrinds - $120 (don't need an insane grind, just something better than stock)
* staying with the 7.7:1CR pistons
* intercooler - $100 to $150
* Cu head gaskets... - $60

At most, this brings the cost up to $1410 for my project. There will be lots of little things I'm sure... that gives me roughly $510 to work with extra for injectors, pump, fuel lines, management, and whatever other little things I want.

Of course, this is just a three month idea... I could have something driveable in three months and add on stuff later.

;)

Overall concept is a twin turbo engine, with two stock EA82T turbos. XT for the body and concept car, body work done, repainted rally blue. engine and transmission painted rally rellow. intake rally blue. FWD might swap in a better tranny though, don't know what the gearing is.

Reasons for the EA82T turbos and not something smaller - If the car spools up with one turbo and two banks of exhaust at about 1500 RPM, then with one turbo on either side, it should spool up at higher than that... about three grand or so. This way I can get economical driving when I don't shift above when the turbos kick in... then when I want to slam it, get launched into the seat at three grand (or whatever).

Was thinking my exhaust could have an H pipe before the turbos and a Y after words... that way I can equalize the banks and move the exhaust back through the stock location to the back fo the car... don't know what size of diameter, but I want it to provide torque. don't care about a huge 4" cat back system.

Caboobaroo wants to make a EA81TT with two Chevy Sprint turbos, but I don't want my car to ALWAYS be running the turbos and sucking in soo much gas. if I mash the pedal and shift at 6k, I at least know *when* I'm throwing money away into my mileage.

These are my ideas. So yeah... I think it's doable. My BIGGEST concern is strength of the transmission and axles.

#4 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2004 - 01:15 PM

Sounds like a well laid plan.
Please don't take this wrong I'm all for radical mods but..
two small items you fail to mention.

1) are you planning on twin MAFs?? How do you plan on wiring them? Twin ECUs??
One MAF and a "Y" pipe??
Is this a hot wire model?
Fuel cut will kick in like now with all that flow.
Bigger injectors are fine but what about a rising rate fuel pressure reg.?
Not going to bother with idle eh?
Higher lift cam, big injectors = idle at ??
What do plan on for ignition timing control??
and the big one
2) Where do you plan on putting this second turbo?
Under the car?? It surely will be a tight squeeze in the Mast. Cyl., dist. steering gear, clutch cable ... area of the under hood??
Have you really scoped this out or are we pipe dreaming here?
Maybe you'll just use the X the bridge approach
The best laid plans......
I say "Go for it"!!

#5 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:08 PM

I'm considering all options. I just primarily want a fast, sleek, really cool looking car and engine.

The XT6 engine is much larger (in my opinion) and has more crap on it than an XT4-T engine, so... If room persists, I think the turbos might work in FRONT of the engine (might or might not be possible, been a while since I've looked in a XT engine compartment).

Anyhow, probably one after market MAF, and the two turbos bridging together. custom intake plenum piping needed of course... hehe.

As I said before, new fuel lines, and engine management (probably try to find a maf and ECU that are known to work together), as well as some sort of injector upgrades. So that should take car of the fuel issues. (not enough fuel, GPH, PSI, fuel cut... whatever)

either way on the exhaust part, one way or the other, I think it's completely doable.

Even if the TT idea isn't quite able to be done because of space, I'll just move to a nice Legacy turbo and work from there or something. Either way, one stock EA82 turbo and plumbing system isn't going to cut it.

I think for a long time as well the engine could stay with the stock disty, but of course get a hot coil and some good wires. Later on after I've had my time with it and I get the extra money I could do something elaborate on the spark system... but it's not the first thing on the list.

Also, for the clutch, my considerations are either a 4x4 clutch, or XT6 clutch, or a Centreforce clutch, as they have their own advantages.

For the cams I'll need to research durations and patterns to see what helps out on FAI systems. (as we know in theory that some cam grinds help NA cars but kill FAI cars)

what do you mean by hot wire model?

things I forgot and still have to price out... turbo plumbing, BOVs, and of course, what to do about the wastegate(s).

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

Jon, you have a long winding road to travel ahead of you.
You talk like you are up to the challenge.
Please keep reading and studying and you will answers elementary questions like
"what do you mean by hot wire model"
It's the way the newer of the old generation Subaru's MAF systems measure air flow.
I have seen the front mounted turbo on the XT6 but do not remember him every having it running.
You will have many questions and be spending more than your modest budget layout shows.
But do not give up, hitch that chariot to a star and have at it.
Talk sure is the cheapest part of this equation
as I said before Good Luck

#7 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:55 PM

the first three months figure is to get something running... and to start piecing together my parts collection I'll need to get it finished.

I may at first just rebuild the engine, and then as time and money allow, start to tear off and bolt on stuff. (keep it basically stock minus the cam change and Cu headgaskets until I have the turbo, fuel, spark, ECU, and management stuff all figured out and planned out.)

would a 'hot wire' model be like a '91 legacy type of maf? the one that has the catalyst that measures O2 readings as the air passes by it in the MAF?

I wonder if any of the EJ series injectors would fit in an EA82, and of course, which ones have a higher flow rate.

Now that I think about it, a pearl silver exterior would look cool.

#8 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:31 PM

Jon you have a bit of learning curve ahead of you on this journey.
It would be wise to gather information on the Subaru turbo fuel injection system that you planning on using.
You will learn that this statement is a bit incongruous.
"'hot wire' model be like a '91 legacy type of maf? the one that has the catalyst that measures O2 readings as the air passes by it in the MAF?"
The MAF and the 02 sensing devise are on opposite ends of the air ingestion cycle. The catalyst is down stream from the 02 sensor on this model.
Learning is good, you will be looking for injectors that have the same impedance as the turbo injectors in the car. The EJ turbo engines no doubt have a higher cc/min but are they peak and hold or are they saturated type injectors??
Jon the incline of this curve is rather steep. Use your time to read and learn, it will be time well spent.
The worst assumption one can make in this type of endeavor is that they know enough.
A good start would be getting a FSM for the year XT you are considering and studying it's fuel injection system.

#9 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:11 PM

If I were you I would just stick with the legacy turbo idea. I mean being able to say "twin turbo" is cool, but there are other limitations to the engine before you need twin turbos to get more power.

legacy turbo

custom x-over & downpipe

cams

aftermarket ecu

higher-flow injectors

wrx intercooler with recirculating blow off.

#10 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:10 AM

on second thought, I might just rebuild the engine, keep the internals stock (as the XT has the best cam of any of the EA82T engines) but use some good head gaskets.

Put on a better turbo (or a modified EA82 turbo, I have some ideas) a good exhaust setup, and an adjustable wastegate setup + BOV.

There MIGHT be room for two turbos in front of the engine (only because it's a late model XT with the radiator slanted) but I'd rather just have one turbo and not have to worry about one turbo being in better condition than the other, or whatever.

#11 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:20 AM

how does the XT get the best cams of the EA82T? Got specs?

The story of my engine...orginal one over heated=cracked head, new head+valve stuck open, boom. So, donor engine: 85 XT turbo engine. So i've got XT turbo cams. Looses power past 5500. RX cams from 1989, pulls TO 6k, then drops off. Delta 677-260's, Pulls until you decide to let out of it...whether that be 8k or whenever.

#12 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:15 AM

hm, well, guess I forgot about the RX. And the book I was looking at that had cam specs didn't cover the three door coupe, just EA82 carb, SPFI, MPFI, and turbo. (and EJ series engines to '96)

The XT MPFI (or turbo) engine only has one difference between other EA82 MPFI or turbo engines... the grind of the cam. whereas the GL10 MPFI (or whatever other car you could get that in) has a slightly different cam, with of course a lower HP rating. (XT GL10 is 94hp. I *think* other MPFI EA82 engines are 87hp.)

I was more or less noticing the differences in the cam grinds in a Chiltons when Hondasucks chirped out some misc. info. about the XT having the best cam grind of EA82 cams.

I guess I/He might be wrong... oh well.

WJM, did you lose alot of mileage to those cams? I would like of course, something that will breath real well and make that turbo work, but trying to stay out of the stealing my gas mileage area.

Dude, you'd know, what does a rebuild kit for an EA82T cost? That's what this whole thing was about, what do they go for?

#13 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:00 PM

If you are looking for parts locally I can hook you up. I can either get you factory (from Subaru) or get you the Manufacter parts (i.e a Atsugi Oil Pump) at a lower cost. Or get you something aftermarket like a Stone engine rebuild kit.

BTW, would perfer that you decide what you want, get the money together, I gather up the parts and you come up and get them.

#14 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:43 PM

Rich: factory parts preferred.

how much would a complete rebuild kit run? I would be more than happy to pay you the amount of the rebuild kit (of course before you get it ordered in!)

#15 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:27 PM

So you would rather pay $105 for a Atsugi Oil Pump in a Subaru box, then $70 for a Atsugi Oil Pump in a Atsugi Box?

Rings, main bearings, and stuff like that I would buy from Subaru, but other items can be gotten cheaper with the same quality.

#16 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:51 PM

hm, I didn't think about that really... I guess it makes sense. I'm tired today... had a long night and no sleep...

Yeah, manufacturer parts are good, but for everything else like the gaskets and seals, I would prefer to be genuine subaru.

Idea of cost on the rebuild kit (seals, rings, gaskets, ect.) not including oil or water pump?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users