Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tranny swap help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wakesyco

wakesyco

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

i have 1996 legacy l wagon 2.2l in which the tranny is going out reverse is gone and first gear winds to 4k rpm before shifting but i was wondering if i could put a tranny from a 97 2.5 in it my tranny code is TZ102ZA5AA-ON and the other is TZ1A2ZJeAA-WY does any1 know if they are compatible both are automatic.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,270 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

i have 1996 legacy l wagon 2.2l in which the tranny is going out reverse is gone and first gear winds to 4k rpm before shifting but i was wondering if i could put a tranny from a 97 2.5 in it my tranny code is TZ102ZA5AA-ON and the other is TZ1A2ZJeAA-WY does any1 know if they are compatible both are automatic.

TZ102ZA5AA this is not the original trans for the car, this is an impreza trans. it should have a 4.11 final drive ratio. a 96 legacy trans is TZ102ZABAA.

you can use any auto trans from 95 - 98 legacy that starts with TZ102Z... and ends with 4 LETTERS, no numbers. these are legacy trans.

you can also use an impreza trans but i don't know them as well so i don't really know which have the 4.11 final drive, but most will be similar to the code you currently have ending in ...ZAxyy where the x is a number (3,4,5) and the y's are letters (A,B, maybe C). but you need to double check rthe final drive ratio.

you cannot use a trans that has a '2' after the second 'Z', this is a trans for a 2.5L car and they have a different final drive ratio.

TZ1A2ZJeAA, this is a completely different trans, it appears to come from a 99 or 00 legacy, or GT maybe. i do not know the final drive ratio, but the TZ1A2Z.... is a phase 2 trans . they have more speed sensors, a different wiring harness and connector and a screw on fluid filter.

(if the trans code were TZ1A2ZJEBA it would be from a 99 OBW. i didn't know they made a ...ZJEAA. AA usually means legacy and ...BA usually means outback. 99 was a transitional year and an odd duck.)

Edited by johnceggleston, 10 January 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#3 wakesyco

wakesyco

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Thank you do you know if there is a website for the tranny codes for subaru's to where i can cross refrence to see which ones i can use???

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,270 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

no, there is no chart. these are the numbers for the 95 - 98 legacys.

i do not know imprezas.

TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD
TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD
TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

with some research here you may figure out which impreza trans hae the correct diff ratio.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

in a nut shell, all of the TZ102Z..... trans that subaru made are the same. but they changed the final drive ratio to match the need. legacy and impreza? are 4.11 and outback, LSi, and GTs are 4.44. so a outback trans will bolt in the legacy, but the diffs will not match.

ask here on the classifieds "wanted" section for a trans. i know there is one in pittsburg, subex i think is selling now. where are you located?

and look here, www.car-part.com . sort your search by distance. you will have to search each year seperatly, because the trans have different codes for most years, the software on the site thinks that the trans are not the same.

#5 wakesyco

wakesyco

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

perfect thanks again

#6 wakesyco

wakesyco

New User