Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have 1996 legacy l wagon 2.2l in which the tranny is going out reverse is gone and first gear winds to 4k rpm before shifting but i was wondering if i could put a tranny from a 97 2.5 in it my tranny code is TZ102ZA5AA-ON and the other is TZ1A2ZJeAA-WY does any1 know if they are compatible both are automatic.

i have 1996 legacy l wagon 2.2l in which the tranny is going out reverse is gone and first gear winds to 4k rpm before shifting but i was wondering if i could put a tranny from a 97 2.5 in it my tranny code is TZ102ZA5AA-ON and the other is TZ1A2ZJeAA-WY does any1 know if they are compatible both are automatic.

TZ102ZA5AA this is not the original trans for the car, this is an impreza trans. it should have a 4.11 final drive ratio. a 96 legacy trans is TZ102ZABAA.

you can use any auto trans from 95 - 98 legacy that starts with TZ102Z... and ends with 4 LETTERS, no numbers. these are legacy trans.

you can also use an impreza trans but i don't know them as well so i don't really know which have the 4.11 final drive, but most will be similar to the code you currently have ending in ...ZAxyy where the x is a number (3,4,5) and the y's are letters (A,B, maybe C). but you need to double check rthe final drive ratio.

you cannot use a trans that has a '2' after the second 'Z', this is a trans for a 2.5L car and they have a different final drive ratio.

TZ1A2ZJeAA, this is a completely different trans, it appears to come from a 99 or 00 legacy, or GT maybe. i do not know the final drive ratio, but the TZ1A2Z.... is a phase 2 trans . they have more speed sensors, a different wiring harness and connector and a screw on fluid filter.

(if the trans code were TZ1A2ZJEBA it would be from a 99 OBW. i didn't know they made a ...ZJEAA. AA usually means legacy and ...BA usually means outback. 99 was a transitional year and an odd duck.)

Edited by johnceggleston

no, there is no chart. these are the numbers for the 95 - 98 legacys.

i do not know imprezas.

TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD

TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD

TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

with some research here you may figure out which impreza trans hae the correct diff ratio.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

in a nut shell, all of the TZ102Z..... trans that subaru made are the same. but they changed the final drive ratio to match the need. legacy and impreza? are 4.11 and outback, LSi, and GTs are 4.44. so a outback trans will bolt in the legacy, but the diffs will not match.

ask here on the classifieds "wanted" section for a trans. i know there is one in pittsburg, subex i think is selling now. where are you located?

and look here, www.car-part.com . sort your search by distance. you will have to search each year seperatly, because the trans have different codes for most years, the software on the site thinks that the trans are not the same.

• 6 years later...

Hi, I have Subaru Impreza Outback, 2.2l, year 1998. I live in London and I can't find a similar tranny for my car. My tranny code is TZ102ZA5AA-GN. I will appreciate if I could get some advises about any other compatible codes for my Scooby. I have no ideas what's the final ratio on my tranny. Thank you very much!