Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Wagon 2.2

As some of you know, I just had my valve cover gaskets, gromemts, Plugs, tubes, and wires redone in hopes to fix an oil leak. Still not sure if all the leaks are gone, but....

After the job was done Friday night, I drove it just a bit on Saturday and a bit more today. Seems that the idle is at about 700 - 750 when the car started. I warmed the car up and then drove to the car wash (15 minutes or so) and sitting in line at the car wash, still about about 700 - 750. Kept the car on the entire time, drove back 15 minutes and parked for a bit and it was still the same.

What is the idle supposed to be at? I am pretty sure that before I did all the work it was more like 800-850 (but I can't fully remember - this is my wife's car and I don't drive it too much). If 700/750 is too low, is it normal for the idle to drop after doing that work? Does it reset itself on its own after more driving?

Does something seem "off"? Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!!

Thanks guys - it seemed like it was idling rough low/rough to me (much more vibration at a stop than I remember. So I wasn't sure what was up.

The mechanic said he was going to come back to clean the throttle body and replace the PCV as well.

Thanks again.