Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How heavy are is your Wheel and tire together?

backcountrycrui

Any one have a guess as to how heavy a 27 inch to 30 inch tire is on steel 15 inch wheels. Just a rough estimate. For those that put their spare tires on a roof rack, do you find it hard to get the tire in and out of your rack? If you do or do not find it hard, can you tell me how high the sides of your rack are? Just doing some planning.

Thanks

Mike

from what I gathered searching around. I would figure the wheel being about 20 pounds and the tires being anywhere from 35-50 pounds for a 27-31" tire. I'm basing the tire weight off the BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2, which looks like a badass tire. It's probably safe to say 50-70 pounds for any given tire and wheel combo in the sizes we use.

it sucks, but as long as you are not vertically challenged.(i won't mention any names baccaruda, oh sorry)(or rob):grin:......it is do-able.i am not a big guy about 5'10", i weigh about 160 now.i can lift one down from a rack no problem....it all depends if you have your stupid button pushed ,if your gonna get hurt from it or not.....:lol:.cheers, brian

For your roof rack question, the sides of my rack are about 1 1/2 inches tall. I keep two 27" spares up there that are held down with a ratchet strap apiece. Getting the tires up and down are not that hard, I am 5' 8" and can easily load and unload them.

My 27-9.50-14 SSR Swampers on steel pugs weigh 56 pounds each. I stand in the back door to load/unload my spare. If you get good quality tires you probably won't need to access your spare much. I've been running my swampers for almost two years and have never needed my spare. I just rotate it in with the others.

Jesse

Oct09194.jpg

Hey Jeff,

Do you need any more of those factory roof cross bars. I have two.

Mike

I might, The end of an Era is coming soon, The Wheeler Wagon is going to be retired, and "Butters", the new car Will be coming into play. I'm not sure What I'm going to do for a roof rack on it..........:grin:

Jeff

I dont know the exact wieght of my tire+rim combo, (31-10.5 on 15" steel rims) but it was heavy enough to shatter my rear window trying to get it on the roof of my lifted wagon once :eek:

RearWindow2.jpg

Now I get to it from the back door, or I stand on the rear tire to access it, and I toss it up from the side, not the back. Of course now that my window is plexiglass, it wont matter.

11-29-08_1305.jpg

For the sake of the original question, the 27's on 14" steel pugs are a LOT lighter than my 31's

-Bill

Oh and Jeff, Butters has a factory roof rack..... You can carry over the extra rails from the wheeler wagon :banana:

Edited by The Beast I Drive

I dont know the exact wieght of my tire+rim combo, (31-10.5 on 15" steel rims) but it was heavy enough to shatter my rear window trying to get it on the roof of my lifted wagon once :eek:

RearWindow2.jpg

Now I get to it from the back door, or I stand on the rear tire to access it, and I toss it up from the side, not the back. Of course now that my window is plexiglass, it wont matter.

11-29-08_1305.jpg

For the sake of the original question, the 27's on 14" steel pugs are a LOT lighter than my 31's

-Bill

Oh and Jeff, Butters has a factory roof rack..... You can carry over the extra rails from the wheeler wagon :banana:

That is the most perfect placement for a WTF sticker I have ever seen. When the tire fell through did your eyes naturally fall the that sticker. I mean that is an honest to god WTF moment. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that Bill

Mike