Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'01 Forester swap info - EJ251 vs EJ253

Can these two Phase 2 engines be interchanged? Just swap the Intakes?

Or is it like the EGR issue w/the Phase 1 EJ25>>EJ22 swap, which will give a CEL w/out the EGR?

Edit: And does the EJ22 still work w/either the MAP or MAF-based system? I know I can swap intakes (thanks to 'subaru360') on either the 2.2 or 2.5, too.

Based on Wikipedia and a couple other sources these EJ25 SOHC engines came w/either MAF: EJ253 or MAP: EJ251.

And what's weird is they weren't consistently applied. The '99 EJ251

(MAP), was replaced by the EJ253 (MAF) in '00, and returned in '05??!

:-\

Thanks for any clarification.

Edited by wtdash

I'm looking for interchange info between the Phase 2 EJ25 (and the EJ22 Phase 2) between the '99 and 2005 model years.

The only thing I know is the Forester I may buy is an '01, which means it should be the MAF-based EJ253.

I think I'm making this more difficult than it is, since I'll be swapping intake manifolds anyway, whether it's a MAF or MAP-based system shouldn't matter, as I don't think they're on the engine. They're part of the air intake system, which won't change if I swap motors.

Thanks

I'm looking for interchange info between the Phase 2 EJ25 (and the EJ22 Phase 2) between the '99 and 2005 model years.

The only thing I know is the Forester I may buy is an '01, which means it should be the MAF-based EJ253.

I think I'm making this more difficult than it is, since I'll be swapping intake manifolds anyway, whether it's a MAF or MAP-based system shouldn't matter, as I don't think they're on the engine. They're part of the air intake system, which won't change if I swap motors.

Thanks

The 2001 Forester is going to be MAP based, just like the RS's. So that means that 98-99 is MAF where as the 00-01 is MAP.