Ultimate Subaru Message Board

before 99, the 2.2 and the 2.5 had a different set up on the plugs, 2.5 are horizontal and in the center of the valve covers at the bottom of a tube. 2.2s are above the valve covers, and angled up? i think, and not in a tube.

Yep, the 2.5 and 2.0 DOHC are in there horizontally. The SOHC engines are in at angles.

see if you can find an oem motorcycle plug tool, one in 5/8 and the stamped steel type with thinner walls. Maybe the STIHL dealer down the road may have something like that. Like the kind that will come included with a new power equipment

I encountered your problem with a regular socket trying to get at the plugs on a honda vf500f

yea, the the store is closed up , menards might have one, lows, ,broke 1 plug wire ,so ordered a new set, still not the starting problem , it almost starts but strumbles , changed fuel filter, coil pack, tank full of gas, checked all fuses, relays, battery good, could be coolant temp, or fuel pump,yes oem nkg plug/ wires,

I've gone though this whole ordeal with my EJ25 98 OBW, and what you're describing seems to be just like what I had. You can search for my thread for a more detailed description, but basically I did the following:

5/8 spark plug socket without rubber plug + 3 in extension + flexneck ratchet (husky from homedepot, the one with the flattest pear-shape head) + flexible magnetic pickup (trust me, you'll need it).

I inserted each of the pieces in one by one -- first socket, then extension on top of it, then ratchet. Plug #4 was the hardest, took me a good hour. The others went much easier. One of the problems is that once you start unscrewing the plugs, they come out, and you have even less space to work in there. In the end, you'll have to take out the socket before you can take out the plug because there isn't enough space for both to come out together. Suffice to say, it's a mess. My ordeal took me a little over 2 hours, of which about an hour went to just figure out this method, try every extension and flex joint that I had, fish out every little bit that I dropped, etc.