Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale timing question

I've got a 91 Loyale that is acting up a bit... just wanted to check the timing on it but have a quick question that I hope will clarify a couple things for me.

I know the timing should be set at 20 degrees so I should rotate the distributer so the 20 matches up to the obvious "point" in the viewing window (under timing light of course)... Sorry for the lame question. WHile under the hood just before dark it looked like I'm set near 0 degrees. Likely a reason for poor gas mileage, suspicious running habits while driving? Thanks in Advance!

Also just to clarify, which is my number one spark plug? Thanks again

number one cylinder is the front passenger.

bad timing can make it run like poo and waste gas.

follow the instructions for the timing light you're using, making sure the advance dial is not causing an error (if applicable).

also, your 91 Loyale must be fuel injected so make sure your green test connectors (behind driver's strut tower or under steering column) are plugged in while setting the timing then undo them when done. this is part of the proceedure.