Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Godzirra! 90 legacy project!

WRX2FFU

Ok. Time to revamp reeprise the legacy a bit. I have not done any more to it because I have been busy on tons of other stuff.

I have some new goals for this little bugger. So now what? This is my recent cent outline for this project.

Starting with a 90' Subaru Legacy wagon:

Already lifted 4 1/2" over stock running a Subaru HI/LO 5spd.

Goals for the rig:

1. Run a 35 13.5" tire on a 16" rim

2. Say Bye-Bye to the mcpherson strut suspension in favor of a double wishbone setup - front and rear. With long travel coil overs or nitro charged shocks.

3. Rear steering :)

4. Utilize a subaru engine(h6,), trans, diffs.

5. Secondary Xfer case ( suzuki samauri )

5.5 Using 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy knuckles front and rear

5.75 Custom Chevy/Subaru Hybrid axels

6. At least 14" more lift

7. Finish repairing body

8. Gut interior, Rhino line interior, custom Aluminum dash

9. Bulid half tube doors front and rear( making the stock doors still work for winter)

10. Build tube rear gate(makeing stock rear door still work for winter)

11. Be able to rock crawl/offroad and still take to car show and look good. :)

I got some pics for a starting point and some meausrements for comparison after it's done.

Measurements:

Rocker to floor clearance: 15"

Tire height : 27"

Lowest front point to the floor: 10" (exhaust)

Front bumper to floor : 23 1/2"

Rear diff to floor : 10"

Roof to floor : 61"

Front and rear wheel track(outside tires) : 66"

90godzirra002Medium.jpg

90godzirra003Medium.jpg

90godzirra004Medium.jpg

90godzirra005Medium.jpg

Interior:

90godzirra006Medium.jpg

Vid of motor running in case I sell it :

th_90godzirra001.jpg

Couple teaser pics. Got some junk tires for mock up. 35 x 13.5 x 16.

1218091314.jpg

1218091315.jpg

So thats the start. This saturday I hope to have it down to a shell and then the fun begins. :)

Edited by WRX2FFU

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you going to use as joints?because i found a source of them in canada.let me know.cheers, brian

I am making the axels myself for now. I have a couple sources for built ones but they are pricey.

For the mock up mine will work and until I put them thru their paces I won't know for sure what they will take. I am going to be reinforcing the cups and reworking the cv's, and beefing up the shafts. I am hoping that will work.

The big thing I am worried about is using subie diffs. I am planning running 4.11 r160's and hopefully going to be machining lockers for them but I just don't know if they can turn that much tire. Again it'll be an experiment. Worse comes to worse I'll step to r200's and then proabaly use a chevy pig diff out of an IFS housing(last resort).

Any info is appreciated for sure!

Wow. Really all I can say. HUGE thanks to Chris, Rick, Brian, Mike R. and Drew(not azar). It's great to have good local subie people.

I am amazed. About 6 hours and quite a few *************** rump roast bolts and it goes from a car to this:

Picture001Medium.jpg

Picture002Medium.jpg

Picture003Medium.jpg

Picture004Medium.jpg

Picture005Medium.jpg

Picture006Medium.jpg

Picture007Medium.jpg

Picture008Medium.jpg

Picture009Medium.jpg

Picture010Medium.jpg

it'll never work:)stoked to see double a-arms....i have thought about it before ...i mean, its just a bunch of rectangles and triangles right?zzz

rock on........:)cheers, brian

oh yeah, nice Vans, i have set on right now.but i bet mine are way cooler....:grin:

Edited by monstaru

damn those pesky neighborhood kids with wrenches...

can't wait to see it all back together!

I know. Well at least they took it all apart for me.:lol:

it'll never work:)stoked to see double a-arms....i have thought about it before ...i mean, its just a bunch of rectangles and triangles right?zzz

rock on........:)cheers, brian

oh yeah, nice Vans, i have set on right now.but i bet mine are way cooler....:grin:

The vans guy is not me. A good Friend though. I'll tell him you digum'

Honestly I have had very few people tell me it will never work. Just some JEEP people that have been shown up by this little wagon before.:lol: As well as some that have no idea what this could possibly look like. Most including those here are very supportive. I am positive in my abilities but I don't have a ton of time so this may take a while.

I am stoked to start building the a arms but really they will be easy to make, just getting the lengths, and placements right will be the hard part. I needs to get the frame figured out, mountings for the motor(h6 babay!), trans, xfer case, and diffs. I could have done solid axels on this a lot easier but to me it would be getting even further from subie heritage, But it's different and thats good... right?:lol:

Getting the diffs, and xfer case in the next week or so. Motor by the first of february(donor svx). I am gonna head to the steel yard soon too to get some stuff. I needs to build bigger jack stand too. ;)

Sweet.

Thanks!

All in all thanks for this site. Without the lifted offroad crew here I would never have thought this was possible myself :)

^^^ ooo

Thanks for that pic. Thats exactly sorta like what I have in me head and on paper.

The nice thing that I am doing is saying bye-bye to the whole front factory subframe. It will be cut off at the firewall. This will make it much cleaner I think too.

And I can increase my approach angle because the won't be much metal in front of the tires at all.

I am just gonna rehang the fenders with bracing and re- use part of the front core support to remount the headlights and grill.

I have taken quite a few measure ments and have pages and pages of drawings so far.

From what I can see I will also be moving the whole motor and trans back about 5 inches as well.

moving the trans and engine back is a good idear....i will also be cutting the front off of that car....kinda...actually, i should be starting tomorrow..:grin:but if you find that moving the trans tunnel is to much fo ryou , you can always move the wheels a tad bit forward and get a great approach angle...

cheer, brian

^^^ ooo

Thanks for that pic. Thats exactly sorta like what I have in me head and on paper.

The nice thing that I am doing is saying bye-bye to the whole front factory subframe. It will be cut off at the firewall. This will make it much cleaner I think too.

And I can increase my approach angle because the won't be much metal in front of the tires at all.

I am just gonna rehang the fenders with bracing and re- use part of the front core support to remount the headlights and grill.

I have taken quite a few measure ments and have pages and pages of drawings so far.

From what I can see I will also be moving the whole motor and trans back about 5 inches as well.

moving the trans and engine back is a good idear....i will also be cutting the front off of that car....kinda...actually, i should be starting tomorrow..:grin:but if you find that moving the trans tunnel is to much fo ryou , you can always move the wheels a tad bit forward and get a great approach angle...

cheer, brian

I thought about moving the tires forward but the damn legacy is already long between the wheels. I might actually move the wheels back if I can get away with it depending on how it looks at that point.

Someone said to me yesterday that I should cut off the back doors and make it a two door and that really got my head going round. I would like to have 4 seats but shortening her up would be great. :eek:

I might have to wait for the sequel on that one...

Edited by WRX2FFU