Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Godzirra! 90 legacy project!

WRX2FFU

Thanks!

It's out. Tomorrow I'll work on the wiring.

Honestly the easiest subie motor I have ever pulled. 3 hours and out without killinh myself.

90godzirra023Medium.jpg

90godzirra024Medium.jpg

90godzirra025Medium.jpg

Also tomorrow I want to "fit" the ea82 flywheel and get a template made for the D/R to EG33 adapter.

Edited by WRX2FFU

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume so. They are different though and I think to achieve the look of the car they had to do it this way.

I hope the h6 is good. I am little worried about the power. It does build good low end torque so...Till I get it moving I won't know for sure but I do have a line on a small vortec SC that might fit in nicely. :)

The idea is keep with the different theme. I think it will surprise people to see an h6 in this gen legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. I have been fooling with idiots trying to finish parting this svx.

I did get the the trans and motor fitted and have the template made for the adapter plate and hopefully today I will start getting it together. The svx is getting pulled out later today and I am gonna start fabbing up the frame rails.

Got the ea flywheel and old clutch and pp mounted. Bolted right up.

Test bolting the motor and trans to see whats needed.

I also got some plate to make the adapter. I got the template made as well. I had to rough cut the plate it with the torch. Just need to clean it up and drill some holes.

90godzirra028Medium.jpg

90godzirra030Medium.jpg

90godzirra029Medium.jpg

Sweet prodject! I think my wagon might be starting to get a little scared! lol.

Just a few heads up from experiance. I blew up two Legacy turbo 5 speeds in my SVX befor going to the six speed.

The stock R-160 rear end was the first thing to go in my wagon turning 33"s with the stock motor.

Just something to keep in mind.

Sweet prodject! I think my wagon might be starting to get a little scared! lol.

Just a few heads up from experiance. I blew up two Legacy turbo 5 speeds in my SVX befor going to the six speed.

The stock R-160 rear end was the first thing to go in my wagon turning 33"s with the stock motor.

Just something to keep in mind.

What broke in the r160? Gears or stub shafts? was it welded?

The trans. I know. Until I try it we'll see. I won't be launching it so...?

What broke in the r160? Gears or stub shafts? was it welded?

The trans. I know. Until I try it we'll see. I won't be launching it so...?

Well the spiders were the first thing to give up, after that we welded it back together and started going thru axles like they were going out of style. The R-180 diff and axles have been holding up alot better but even then i blew the LSD clutch disks out of one and broke two axles. It will take alot of abuse for this to happen.....ALOT of abuse! But it is still a weak link.

The one thing that might save the tranny is the T-case, The sammi T-case is suprizingly strong and after all the abuse i have put on that and the tranny im amazed neither one has given up yet but i'm still only running a high comp. 2.5L, and the 3.3 is gonna have alot more tourqe.

If i wasnt such a damn purist and i was to do it again i would probly go right for an R-200 or something that was built to handle out putting all the power to one end of the car. And im sure they can be had alot cheaper than the STI rear end set up.

Cool! thanks for the info.

I have been looking closely at the r200's and also the irs 8.8 ford diffs which give me cheaper options for gears and lockers. The irs fords are also cheaper and more plentifull too.

As for the trans? time will tell. I have 2 setting here so I might try to build one eperimentally with cryo'd new stock gears.

I hate to get too much away from subiw parts but I have to be realistic if I want this thing to do any of the fun stuff. I am not building it to go to cars shows.

In the end I think having a good subie motor and keeping all independant suspension is pure enough for me for what this will be.

I gotta say that your build inspired me a few years ago so thanks!

Edited by WRX2FFU

No problem. ;)

When we built our wagon it really was an experiment in what would work, and so far the rearend and axles has been the only issue. There are upgrades for the R-180 stuff but big money!

The 8.8 is another great option that i was seriously considering not to long ago.

• 1 month later...

So i am stalled. I have been busy selling off stuff. (sold 3 subies and my old truck)

I also got the eg33-D/R adapter plate made but I decided to go a different route.

I am sourcing a TH350 or TH400 + NP transfer case. I decided I wanted a RWD trans and an automatic. This is a cheap durable option for sure. The hard part will be adapting the eg33 to the chevy trans but I think it will work. I have seen ej motors adapted to chevy trans for drag applications so...

So thats the update. I am looking for a good trans/xfer case combo for sale and then I'm gonna get the motor and trans together and then back on the frame. So hopefully more updates soon.

I am sourcing a TH350 or TH400 + NP transfer case. I decided I wanted a RWD trans and an automatic. This is a cheap durable option for sure. The hard part will be adapting the eg33 to the chevy trans but I think it will work. I have seen ej motors adapted to chevy trans for drag applications so...

yep, should be possible. I considered that for my 4Runner. EG33 to a 700R4....but it would have cost way more than the 4.3 swap I'm doing, and I really don't have the fabrication skills for it.

No problem. ;)

When we built our wagon it really was an experiment in what would work, and so far the rearend and axles has been the only issue. There are upgrades for the R-180 stuff but big money!

The 8.8 is another great option that i was seriously considering not to long ago.

actually, nissan/nismo does not have proper part numbers anymore.they come up under ARB's catalog sometimes, but the numbers are no longer produced.

so as far as a locker goes, it is r200 and above.and that was the last time i checked, like a yr or so ago......

i also want to go to an auto-matic.....thats defenitely something i want to have eventually.sa powerglide....cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Ok, so I have been busy selling all of my crap to thin down my project workload as it seems that I have no time whatsoever.

Well yesterday I picked up a th350 and an np203 case FOR $100

So today I started setting the motor(still the 3.3 h6) and the trans together to start making a template. It's gonna be tricky but it should work out fine. Just need to do ome math on the flexplate-hub to the subaru crank and figure out a starter location.

So it starts again....I really want to have this in a full roller by the end of the summer...

• 4 months later...

Your right. It is. :lol:

I have not had a working camera but it does not matter. I have not gotten anything done really.

I have about 400 hours in the machining the hub and blueprinting the adapter plate.

The hub is completely done now. It was all machined on a small toy makers lathe which made it tricky to do.

The blueprints for the parts were what took the most time. But alas....

I will try to get pics up when I get a new camera. With the little one and hardly seeing my wife due to work schedules I have had no time. It's not forgotten though.

So I just got a new cam.

Pics:

The THM350, xfer case in the back ground:

hub004.jpg

The "hub": All machining done by me. Tons and tons of hours...

hub005.jpg

hub006.jpg

Hub in place;

Motor side:

hub007.jpg

Trans side:

hub008.jpg

Mini High torque offset starter, universal mount:

hub010-1.jpg

1st attempt (10 min) at cutting with the plasma cutter, header flange. Needs cleaned up but not bad for 10 min. :)

hub003.jpg

hub002.jpg

New toy:

hub009.jpg

So there we go. Hopefully cutting the adapter plate tomorrow. Cutting 3/4 plate should be interesting.

Edited by WRX2FFU

Got the plate all cut out and cleaned up. I have to cut out the center yet and get the holes drilled and trim what i don't need. Good day though.

Starting out:

hub013.jpg

In process:

hub028.jpg

Almost done:

hub044.jpg

All in all it took about 10-15 mins to cut out. YAY!

:eek:OH NOES! I has erl leak!:lol:

oilpan001.jpg

Had to clearance the oil pan to fit the starter.

oilpan002.jpg

oilpan003.jpg

oilpan004.jpg

Still needs cleaned up and leak tested but I am getting there. I'll do some more cutting on the adapter later this week.

Woah! Your approaching this like a real live fabricater! As apposed to my eyeball it weld it up, hope it fits method. lol.

Sweet work so far!

Thanks!

Yeah but it will take a long time. I should only have to do it once though.

I have done things both ways and find that this usually works out better for me in the end.

It's a slow process but when it's done I hope it's worth it.