Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Godzirra! 90 legacy project!

WRX2FFU

Ahhhh. That's a little different. I was thinking that was going to be your ride height....:lol:

If I was running 44 inch tires maybe. LOL! I just had to have it up to work on it.

Thats awsome. This is one build that I would like to do some day too. Cant wait to see the finished rig.

Me too. It's gonna take a while because of limited budget and as with any project ,the changes that are made mid project due to more research and changes add time.

Those tires tires are huge! Four of those probably costs about the same as a down payment on a house :eek:

The tires I want will cost more than the suspension. craziness.:eek:

Thanks for the comments all. I really appreciate all of the feedback and positive statements.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now it makes sense.......************in sweet.i went this way then turned tail and ran.mine was all out of ej parts.and subie diffs though.i TOO would love to back to it.are they doing the same thing we do by putting a rear up front?or..........

anyways , badass...i too have the tire conundrum.way to much to spend.you should be looking on local 4x web sites, craigslist, blah blah , stuff you probably already go by...but anyways.cheers

that pic almost made me um, well. yeH:banana:

makes me wish i had the money for a Cornay joint setup. one day...one day....

Edited by monstaru

I figured that pic would shed some light....

They are running what looks like a modified high pinion ford 9". I have tried to get some specs on the diffs but no one wants to give up secrets. ;)

I am assuming they are running the diff with reverse cut gears so they can run it in the correct configuration.

I would have loved to stay with subie parts but I just think I would have been breaking too much too often.

Most of my parts are junk yard/craigslist parts. I am on a local Jeep/truck/offroad forum as well which helps finding cheaper stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So me and the whole fam have been sick so not much has been done. I did get the trans mount finished and some more sheetmetal out of the way. Also started fitting the xfer case. This case is the same length as the final doubler that will be in here when i'm done.

Also got a local line on an np205 xfer case, just need to order the doubler kit and i can start putting that together too.

Trans mount:

transmount001.jpg

transmount002.jpg

transmount003.jpg

transmount004.jpg

Gonna try to save the baller rump roast red sparkle shifter on the transfer case and use it for something. :)

• 1 month later...

So, several days ago I had this brilliant idea to build a long travel fully independent suspended Subaru with a divorced transfer case and Ford 8.8 IRS diffs in the front and rear. Then monstaru had to go and ruin my fun by telling me it is being done. Great minds think a like I guess.

So i have a few questions for you. Are you going to run the 8.8 IRS diff on the front as well? Are you using a 31 or 28 spline diff?

Are you still planning on runing the chevy spindles? Do you know how long your axles are going to be, longer then a factory ford axle? Do you what the max angle you can push the axles on the ford diff?

Hopefully you can answer my questions, my plan is very similiar only less track width and smaller tires. I am really shocked to see you can get up to 30 inches of travel out of this set up. I was hoping for 14 inches.

I see your in Ft. Wayne, im about 3 hours from there, maybe I could come check it out sometime.

Thanks for your time!

So, several days ago I had this brilliant idea to build a long travel fully independent suspended Subaru with a divorced transfer case and Ford 8.8 IRS diffs in the front and rear. Then monstaru had to go and ruin my fun by telling me it is being done. Great minds think a like I guess.

So i have a few questions for you. Are you going to run the 8.8 IRS diff on the front as well? Are you using a 31 or 28 spline diff?

Are you still planning on runing the chevy spindles? Do you know how long your axles are going to be, longer then a factory ford axle? Do you what the max angle you can push the axles on the ford diff?

Hopefully you can answer my questions, my plan is very similiar only less track width and smaller tires. I am really shocked to see you can get up to 30 inches of travel out of this set up. I was hoping for 14 inches.

I see your in Ft. Wayne, im about 3 hours from there, maybe I could come check it out sometime.

Thanks for your time!

I am gonna run the 8.8 diff in the front. The only big problem I forsee at this point is gear alignment with the ring and pinion. No body makes reverse cut gears for the "rear" diff. The 8.8 housings are different on the factory cars from front to rear. I am gonna use a subie trick and flip the diff on the front and see how it does.

I am still running the chevy knuckles and i don't yet have the measurements for axel length. They are gonna be pretty long. The choice for the chevy outer gives me a lot beffier cup, and better turning and travel.

The ford side is the limiting factor on travel. The think you need to think about is the width. I am gaining travel at the outer point by pushing it further away. I don't have the angle numbers on the ford axels in front of me but I will post them.

It's a big project. I am trying to locate my second xfer case at this point and also another 8.8 diff(which there are tons around just need money).

I also made a fubar and mounted the motor and trans too high and it placed the x fer front drop too high. I have fixed it but still nee to remake the trans mount.

You could come look at it at anytime. I have a really weird schedule so it would have to be planned for sure. Maybe plan it when our local subie club has a meet too.

I have some vacation in march. that may be a good time to look at it. I might have the front cradle built by then as well to0.

Edited by WRX2FFU

• 1 month later...

How's the project coming?

I've been working on the shift linkage for my 700r4 into my toyota 4runner lately. And thought of you.

I don't know if you have a plan, but my goal was to use the stock toyota shifter (my truck was an auto) to control the gm transmission. after some experimenting in trying to make my own linkage (could have worked.....but there would have been a lot of experimenting to get the lever arms the right length, and there isn't much room to work with for experimenting), I decided to go cable, and buy off-the-shelf.

I picked up a B&M 80740 cable from summit racing, and a B&M 35498 "GM Bracket & Lever Kit". These are pre-formed brackets to mount that cable to the GM trans. the bracket mounts to 2 of the transmission oil pan bolts, and the lever arm doesn't protrude beyond the bottom of the pan.

bmm-35498.jpg

bmm-80740_w.jpg

It's a pretty good way to simplify the fabrication, and only about $50 for both from summit racing.

• 7 months later...