Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford fuel pump???

Iv been reading a lot about the ford fuel pump that works on a subie. i have an 1988 ea82 spfi 3-door(2dr-hatch) and the pump started leaking once i filled with it up with gas after runnin it bone dry. Will the pump leak if its been ran out of gas a bunch? But will the ford pump work on my SPFI motor? If so please put in your 2 cents about the situation. Different car fuel pumps that will work, parts numbers and prices please i'm real tight on cash flow and need the cheapest one i can get.(cheapest in money not in quality)

I would try the search function... I have no experience with this issue, but the search button probably does :rolleyes:

uhh where do you think i read about it:rolleyes:

Theres mixed views about the ford pumps thats why im trying to found out the most i can and rather than sit on the compter for hours digging threw the archives of USMB.:slobber: Why wouldnt i make it work for me?:headbang:

Well, my advice would be sitting in front of the computer for hours and start digging through the archives :) Seriously though, I have and do that on a regular basis. More info and background info would also help others in trying to determine your problem, and should have been included in your first post and would have prevent the search function comment :rolleyes:

I am not trying to be rude or mean, but I always research the hell out of my problem, think about it for a while, write it down and include all the background research I have done and all the info gleaned from such research, re-read it, post, and the start researching some more. If all elses fails or I don't get answers fast enough, I go to the JY, grab my parts, try it and when it fails, add that to the post and keep on trying. Again, not trying to be too mean here, that just my process, and it seems to work well for me :)

I honestly don't know all that much about fuel pumps and such and if I did I would help ya. There are some super smart people on this forum that I am sure can help, but it's slow as well on here at times, so just be patient. Good luck to ya, and I won't pollute this thread anymore with my rants :)

Iv been reading a lot about the ford fuel pump that works on a subie. i have an 1988 ea82 spfi 3-door(2dr-hatch) and the pump started leaking once i filled with it up with gas after runnin it bone dry. Will the pump leak if its been ran out of gas a bunch? But will the ford pump work on my SPFI motor? If so please put in your 2 cents about the situation. Different car fuel pumps that will work, parts numbers and prices please i'm real tight on cash flow and need the cheapest one i can get.(cheapest in money not in quality)

I used google to teach me about the Ford fuel pump as well as searching on the boards. The pump is popular in the VW crowds. One site said it's not self-priming, which may have something to do with what you're asking.

Jacob

You want the pump off of the framerail of a ford EFI truck from the early 90's. Not the lift pump in the tank. Subaru pumps are located below the tank, so self priming isn't much of an issue. The pump should run 90-100 bucks. You will need adapters for the inlet of the pump, the subaru hose is close to a half inch in diameter while the ford inlet is like 5/16" or 3/8". A pump won't leak because it was run out of gas. Pumps don't usually leak either unless they're really badly rusted. I'd remove the pump platform and check all the hoses before I went out buying pumps.

Iv been told that pumps can fail if ran out of gas too much, like they just fry themselves pumping air and not gas. I had ran out of gas the other night and next day when i brought it home aftering putting gas in it, it had a puddle under the pump, and it seems when it was running is when the gas was flowing out on to the ground. T

That could be from pressure of the system pushing it out of a pinhole some where?

I have been smelling gas for a little while but never payed that much attention to it and then i run out of gas, put gas in it, start leaking gas.

And where i could the gas leaking was from the mounting plate of the pump.

All the lines were clean and dry. The plate had some built up sediment from getting wet with fuel then dirt klinging to it.

Edited by 88coupe

usually the little damper on the pump itself will rust out. you will more than likely break it when trying to remove the line. usually starts out as a pinhole leak and a fin spray mist.

running the pump dry will not make it leak. but a leak present will affect pressure to the injector