Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 74 sedan thread.....................

Uh, problemo Paul! That other 1400 "dry sleave" block i got from you......is not a dry sleave block at all! AND!!!! There are bit's of bearing in the oil pan!!! :(

I got two weekends left befor i wanted to drive this thing to Lime rock and originaly i didnt even want to mess with the motor!!!!!

Help!!!!!!

Uh, problemo Paul! That other 1400 "dry sleave" block i got from you......is not a dry sleave block at all! AND!!!! There are bit's of bearing in the oil pan!!! :(

I got two weekends left befor i wanted to drive this thing to Lime rock and originaly i didnt even want to mess with the motor!!!!!

Help!!!!!!

:eek: Yikes, well if I had another 1400 I'd throw it to you. We'll have to see what we can do. Maybe Charlie has something to use for now.

Well i,m just gonna toss the EA71 out of the BRAT in it for now. I know the motor runs......well it did five years ago when i parked it there.

So i think i,lll just go with an EA71 permanatly but i need to find one in very good shape to do some work to. I will be using the dual port heads, since Sandy already paid to get them all tricked out at the machine shop!

I just want it running this week but want to take my time getting the motor where i want it so this should work out well. Maybe even have it running this weekend!!!!:banana:

• 3 weeks later...

IT RUNS!!!!!!! :banana:

Got it just about all back together. Been driving it since last week amd took it for a 8hr trip across the state and back with no issues. Well one small issue....it desperatly needs a 5 speed to be efficient at driving around. 55mph just doesnt cut it on the highway anymore!

Other than that only issues are the oil pump i had to use in the temporary motor makes no oil pressure at idle and the right front strut started leaking.

Yes, pics to come soon....really.

Ya, that top speed thing is why I swapped early 80's FWD gearing into my FF-1 transmission. Those transmissions have MUCH taller gearing:

fwd4speeds.gif

Sweet chart! So the gears from the EA81 trannies will go right into the older cases? Wow! Go Subaru!

Now what about the 5 speeds? How do there ratios compare?

whoa , does that mean you over this end of the state and didn't call me to come check it out??????? :rolleyes:

Hope to see it soon.

Well......um.......yeah i guess i kinda was. If Limerock park is your area?

It was very last second decision to go once i was convinced the car would make it there. Dont worry you will get to see it soon, besides it's not all done yet. ;)

Sweet chart! So the gears from the EA81 trannies will go right into the older cases? Wow! Go Subaru!

Now what about the 5 speeds? How do there ratios compare?

I didn't do the 5-speeds, I'd have to bust out the books again and make another chart.

What years were they in, the 5-speed FWD cars?

I didn't do the 5-speeds, I'd have to bust out the books again and make another chart.

What years were they in, the 5-speed FWD cars?

Well i would like to stick with a top mount starter tranny so im not sure whats available in that style with a five speed.

Ive go no problem making mounts and linkages to hook it up but definitly want to avoid having to hack up the body at all (Ie. cutting up the tranny tunnel) So i suppose i need to find out if the 5speed case will even fit.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the 5 speed Subaru3 was selling so I should have some answers on fitament in a while. The olny difference, tranny wise I can see from pics and the service manual is the rear housing, and it does not look that much different from the 4 speed. Now the shifter may pose a problem, but nothing that can't be overcome. I mean, these were offered in Gen 1 cars after all.

Mark

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the 5 speed Subaru3 was selling so I should have some answers on fitament in a while. The only difference, tranny wise I can see from pics and the service manual is the rear housing, and it does not look that much different from the 4 speed. Now the shifter may pose a problem, but nothing that can't be overcome. I mean, these were offered in Gen 1 cars after all.

Mark

Ya, the rest of the case is the same minus the rear. I'm sure the rear transmission mount will bolt up differently, and the shifting mechanism will be different.

I'll try and look into it more this weekend, get some service manual photos posted perhaps, but right now i'm working on uploading more FF-1 pics from picking up the car today :grin:

Oh, and the gen-1 5-speeds were in the mid 70's coupes and hardtops I believe, I'll have to confirm that too.

the gen-1 5-speeds were in the mid 70's coupes and hardtops

yup ,starting here in the US in like 1972 ..or '73 ?? with the Coupe only.

If you can find an FE model fivespeed you'll save some gas. 1978-9 FE

Man , I've got to get back to the Vintage Fall Fest at Lime Rock one of these years..... :-\

Did the car get lots of attention?

yup ,starting here in the US in like 1972 ..or '73 ?? with the Coupe only.

If you can find an FE model fivespeed you'll save some gas. 1978-9 FE

Man , I've got to get back to the Vintage Fall Fest at Lime Rock one of these years..... :-\

Did the car get lots of attention?

Well i didnt really get it into the show......but it gets alot of attention everywhere i go. :)

The 5-speed has a 3.7 final gear ratio, and 5th gear is .789, so its .1 taller than the 80's 4-speeds, so it will have a lower RPM at high speeds (IE better mileage)

So 4 or 5 speed ends up the same way. I'm guessing it's gonna come down to what ever i can find the easiest.....cheapest. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well ive put about 2,000 miles on it now, using it as my daily driver and no problems other than a good thirst for oil (about a quart every three days).

Still working on the pics.

Try this.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=297461&l=278a93767b&id=100000651904849

Thats a pic from when it was almost done.

Sorry for the linky but my phone is my only camera and my computer is about dead, and the only thing i seem to be able to load photos to from my phone is facebook. Partially becouse my phone suck and also becouse im technology inept.

I will just post some new pics to my facebook soon. : /

Edited by Subafreak

• 3 years later...