Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 sensor non-fouler trick--what size?

Just a simple question, hopefully someone can help me.. really need to pass that inspection, then I can get on to actually fixing the thing.

I read/understand (I think so at least) the non-fouler trick. Now, what size non-fouler do I need? Does anyone by chance know a part number or which model car it should fit? I check autozone web site, and what they have differs by car model/manuf. Or do o2 sensors come in the same size as spark plugs?

#42002 will work as well, with a 22mm wrench.

Dont use it on your front O2 sensor as it will screw-up your air-fuel mixture and make the car run like hell.

If you still get the code (P0420 i presume) after the trick just replace the front with a Bosch, inexpensive vs. OEM.

if youre getting the PO130 this will do nothing for it, then its an electrical issue within the circuit.

Good luck! Seems like you're having a tough time with that inspection...

Thanks for all the replies. This forum is a really great asset to all the poor grad student Subaru owners. :grin:

Just a couple more questions--are the universal 3-wire sensors as good as the regular replacements? As I understand it, it's just a matter of connecting the wires. Also, are the front and rear sensors interchangeable? And should I get heated or unheated?

It's for a 98 OBW with a P0420 code.

the front sensor should be a subaru part. the rear can be generic. technically the parts are the same, just the connectors are different but thre front MUST be a subaru part. get it on line . the other one can be cheap.

or get 2 cheap ones and do the anti fouler trick. but there is a much greater chance the cats will not work properly if you do.

www.subarupartsforyou.com

www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Edited by johnceggleston

Both of mine are Subaru and they are NOT the same. They look different and cost different (the rear is much pricier). The whole thing looks different, as I recall.

the front sensor should be a subaru part. the rear can be generic. technically the parts are the same, just the connectors are different but thre front MUST be a subaru part. get it on line . the other one can be cheap.

or get 2 cheap ones and do the anti fouler trick. but there is a much greater chance the cats will not work properly if you do.

www.subarupartsforyou.com

www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

i always forget to state my year and model.

on one of my cars maybe both, 95 lego or 97 gt, when i had the exhaust off, i compared the front and rear. both were had 3 wires, both had the denso name on them and both had the same number stamped on them. only the connectors were different.

00 obw is the phase 2 SOHC, maybe they changed the spec.