This is my first suby, I rescued her cheap from someone who had no clue.. I've been working my way through the issues, I've gotten the broken exhaust and worn out CVs fixed up, now I'm onto electrical gremlins. I'm a Mazda guy by nature, so I'm hoping for some troubleshooting direction with this new toy
1996 Subaru Legacy LS wagon
135k on the clock
Stock & reasonably well maintained as far as I know
- Flashy check engine light - ON!
- P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor
- P0130 - O2 Circuit, Bank 1, Sensor 1
- P1101 - Neutral Switch Circuit (Off)
(The above descriptions are from my code scanner)
- The check engine light flashes as soon as you turn the key to ON (no need to crank/turn over the car), even if you pull the battery cable first.
- The main radiator fan turns on as soon as you turn the key to ON, and the AC fan (secondary fan?) cycles on and off as soon as the key is turned on.
- Fog Lights don't come on with the running lights
- Power antenna doesn't work.
I went ahead and replaced the upstream O2 sensor with another Bosch unit from Advance, even though these three electrical issues may all be related.
I also took cleaned the 4 grounds on the back of the two shock towers, hoping that would do something.
I'm not actually sure why I'm getting Neutral switch & speed sensor errors, the car starts up fine (in park or neutral), it seems to know when it's not in either of those two because you can't start it. The speedo seems to be calibrated enough that the cops haven't bothered me. Cruise control works great, too.
Most of my other work has been on the exhaust (the flange disintegrated behind the second cat, so I had to weld a new one up).
If you have any good ideas which way to start looking, I'd be much obliged!
Edited by WonkoTheSane, 24 January 2010 - 11:13 PM.