Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback tire to strut clearance advice wanted

daredevil1166

Well, AHEM, :lol:I have about 5/16" of room between my rear strut (loyale wagon strut) and tire and I have rubbing from my 235/70r14 on my 2" lifted ea81 wagon. So I say the tire flexes at the top. Not enough to leave a mark on the tire thankfully, just enough to shine the spring.

Well' date=' AHEM, :lol:I have about 5/16" of room between my rear strut (loyale wagon strut) and tire and I have rubbing from my 235/70r14 on my 2" lifted ea81 wagon. So I say the tire flexes at the top. Not enough to leave a mark on the tire thankfully, just enough to shine the spring.[/quote']

You don't think it could be from mud that cakes on and then gets dragged past the strut?

That is what I think is happening.

And if it does rub a hair, so what? Any time you drive through mudded ruts, you are dragging the side of the tire through all kinds of aggregate material that is way rougher than the smooth rounded tube of the strut. I guess I just don't understand the big worry?

You don't think it could be from mud that cakes on and then gets dragged past the strut?

And if it does rub a hair, so what? I guess I just don't understand the big worry?

That's a good point. It depends on what his marks look like. I'd trust him to know what it is that's making the marks. He does drive the car constantly.

The worry is that tires aren't cheap. It's a risk thing.

I can't afford to take any risk whatsoever with my tires. I can't afford to replace them.

This is my daily driver. If I killed a tire, I couldn't drive to work. If I can't get to work I can't pay my rent.

It's just minimizing risk.

I'm sure it's the same with anyone else worried about it.

yeah, but if you worry your toaster is going to catch on fire you spend every morning cleaning it instead of enjoying the toast...

and if you cannot afford to fix things that go wrong, maybe you should not be modifying your car.its irresponsible, and puts others into a position where they are liable for your mistakes.

just my 2 cents.cheers, brian

That's a good point. It depends on what his marks look like. I'd trust him to know what it is that's making the marks. He does drive the car constantly.

I can't afford to take any risk whatsoever with my tires. I can't afford to replace them.

This is my daily driver. If I killed a tire, I couldn't drive to work. If I can't get to work I can't pay my rent.

I'm sure it's the same with anyone else worried about it.

Sorry, I didn't realize you needed to keep the car running with no extra money to spend on it.

Perhaps full throttle 4 wheel in the air launches over sand dunes gave me the wrong idea.:grin:

yeah, but if you worry your toaster is going to catch on fire you spend every morning cleaning it instead of enjoying the toast...

and if you cannot afford to fix things that go wrong, maybe you should not be modifying your car.its irresponsible, and puts others into a position where they are liable for your mistakes.

just my 2 cents.cheers, brian

That's the thing. It's a fine line between having fun and keeping the car going.

It's not like I really beat the crap out the car anyway.

Th point is, if I can minimize potential damage and costs by simply choosing the tires carefully, why not?

It's not like I can't fix things that go wrong. Getting a junkyard axle or hub or something is totally different than buying new tires.

I'm not sure how much putting different tires on counts as modifying.

I'm really not sure how anyone else is liable.

Sorry, I didn't realize you needed to keep the car running with no extra money to spend on it.

Perhaps full throttle 4 wheel in the air launches over sand dunes gave me the wrong idea.:grin:

Low extra money.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :o

Even if I did, it wouldn't be full throttle, and it would have been mostly unintentional, and I wouldn't have meant to go quite that fast.

It might have been totally worth it though. :grin:

the sure fire way to minimize risk , is to stop wheeling.period.

then just deal with some of the ins and outs....

you are acting lke there is no solution to your quandry.or like you already have one.then why did you ask?ya know....

i say you just go to a strut spacer that you can make yourself, and buy the tires you want, instead if the tires you should get, or have to get....

your right,they are expensive.and it is a big decision.and should be bought proper the first time...cheers, brian

You got me there. But, come on, that's never going to happen. :)

I'm dealing with it fine. I have no quandry anymore.

None of this has anything to do with my original question. I already got the advice I needed on that in the first few posts, and I took it.

My tire clearance is no longer a question. According to the helpful members here it's not an issue, it'll be fine, and I trust that advice. But, to be safe I plan on getting some spacers when I can.

We got completely off track here. Then we got a pi**ing match about who knows more because there is just too much assumption going on. I had my question answered a long time ago.

Yep, ideally tires would be picked very carefully. Which is what I did with the last set. But, I didn't have much of a choice this time.

Edited by daredevil1166

• 2 weeks later...

I set up a car once thought I had plenty of space drove the car into town looks under and part of the tire was wore off just in one spot, got looking closing and found out I had a bent rim , which gave it good clerence half way round then rubbed in one spot :eek: , I put a few washers behind the rim and drove it home, those tires were 235/75-15s on stock steel wheels