Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Tran Output seals 96 legacy

Anybody know if I can replace the transmission output seals without removing and disassembling the transmission?
Yes. Which ones are leaking? The rear or the side bearing cap retainers? Both are covered here.

The rear is easy. The sides require marking and reinstalling the plates exactly as they are right now since they are critical to maintaining proper gear clearances in the front diff. The side seals might look like they pull right out but they do not, the large cover needs to be threaded off. Easy enough, just mark it and count the number of turns when removing and reinstall the same way.

At least one of the sides is leaking. Could that oil dropping onto the exhaust be that stink that emanates from my car continually? It doesn't really seem to leak that much. Do you know any other possible sources of a burning oil smell? It is not using engine oil and the exhaust doesn't seem to leak.

At least one of the sides is leaking. Could that oil dropping onto the exhaust be that stink that emanates from my car continually? It doesn't really seem to leak that much. Do you know any other possible sources of a burning oil smell? It is not using engine oil and the exhaust doesn't seem to leak.

axle boots. look for black stuff on the exhaust.

Thanks grossgary, I had a look tonight and it is definitely the right seal leaking onto the exhaust. The CV boots are fine. Couple other questions while I'm drinking at the fountain of knowledge :)

To remove the CV shaft from the stub, do I have to take apart the wheel/hub assembly or would there be enough slack in the shaft to slip it off?

While I was under there, I noticed that there's two drain plugs, one in the transmission pan and another forward of that under the CV shafts. Are they two different reservoirs or are they just there so that you can more effectively empty the tranny when you do an oil change?

you don't say but you must have an auto trans. those drain plugs are for two different things. the rearmost plug is the ATF and the front plug is the front differential gear oil plug. the transmission and front differential are one assembled unit.

yes you can remove the cv from the trans without entirely removing it from the hub. that's the easiest way to do it.

with the wheel removed you'll notice two bolts holding the strut to the hub. mark the head of the top strut mount bolt in such a way that you can reinstall it exactly as it is before you loosen it, i use a chisel and knock a cut into the top of the head bolt and the strut flange and line those up when i reinstall.

remove that top strut mount bolt.

loosen the lower bolt and then pull the strut/top of the hub and it will pull away from the car and rotate on the bottom bolt, with plenty of room to pull it off the trans.