Ultimate Subaru Message Board

http://www.danperkinssubaru.com/MiscPage_6

Got this as an email today.

Certainly not for the shade tree mechanics that lurk here but for those who would normally do all service at shops and keep records, seems like a decent deal.

This is the same dealer as subarupartsforyou.com where I get my parts for cheap here on the east coast.

I am suspicous of a few things. They say "transfer case" which subaru doesnt have. I would want more clairifcation on CVT coverage. I see no TCU coverage. Engine no ruel injectors mentioned nor exhaust system. There really inst an axle housing on a sooby, just a diff housing in the rear. Also would be nice to know who underwrites it and the deductable if any.

nipper

I'm wary of all aftermarket warranties. They are after all only insurance policies, and subject to the payout whims of the company, if it even exists after a few years and you need it.

These vendors have an a all-to prevalent history of marketing and dealers selling a bunch of paper for them (remember, the dealere typically gets half the sales price ... for nothing and after all, how much does it cost to print up a bunch of policy certificates?) then folding up their tent and slinking back into the desert. :mad:

and wait, it even includes warranty to the supercharger housing?

:-\

Sure make me defend a lifetime warrenty....

I've seen that before, it is sometimes used as a generic term for forced induction, but I would get that clairified.

nipper

I'd really have to read the fine print. One trend in aftermarket warranties in recent years is the wording in the agreement allowing them the use of used parts. If the client refuses to use the used component, the warranty company retains the right to only pay what the used part costs toward another form of repair. The labor charges are often not what would be charged by a reputable garage or dealer, but significantly less.

My words here come from experience. I bought a used 4x4 several years ago and got an aftermarket warranty. The transfer case went and I tried to use the warranty. They had no issue covering the repair, but stated they were going to send my garage a used case with 100,000 miles on it. First, the repairs are delayed while they ship the part to your shop. When I had an issue with the used case with that many miles on it, I was told that I had no choice other than them paying for a new one or a rebuild with what the used case would cost and no more. There was a big difference in what they would pay labor and what it cost to have the job done right. I ended up with a big repair bill having the case rebuilt properly even though they did pay what they said they would. A close exam of the fine print in the agreement gave me no recourse.

I've looked at several since and no way would I pay what they want for what you get. The ones that advertise on TV and elsewhere give you dollar limits on specific auto systems. These limits are for the life of the warranty. For example, if you got one for your Subaru and the head gaskets went fubar, they would cover it (if you got the plan that included these repairs in the first place. There are several plan limits based on cost to you including deductables). Lets say that you had a limit on engine repair of $1000 in the plan you bought with $0 deductable. The repairs to the HG cost $700. They would pay the bill no problem. Now, though, you only have $300 left in your plan for any other engine repairs that might happen before the plan expires. If the HG repair cost $1100, they would pay $1000, you would pay $100. Now, you have no engine coverage for the life of the warranty remaining. Other vehicle systems are covered in the same way.

Does this sound like a good investment for what amounts to a several thousand dollar cost? That's right...these warranties cost well over $2000 each for a decent plan coverage wise. You'd be better off putting the same amount that the cost of the warranty monthly would cost (they will let you make payments to pay the warranty costs off. Isn't that nice of them?) in the bank for a rainy day.

it could be a bunch of little warranties too.... when I sold kias we had a 20 year 200,000 mile powertrain warranty for a while.

Basically the you had to service the car on time every time at our dealer to get it. and techinically kia picked up the first 10 years 100K anyway....

So everytime you came in for service they basically warrantied it for the next 3 months 3000 miles (to next oil change or service due)

Pretty much worthless in my mind... especially once the dealer collapsed after I left :lol: