Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX update with pictures... (56K get off my internet)

I got the milder of the 2 cams Delta had... which did you get WJM?

Would have gone with the others, but Delta said some modification was required... and this being my first engine buildup i was leary of trying to take on too much. As is, i have my work cutout for me.

Hey Tex did you mock up a wrx intercooler, i wanted to know if it will fit the samco hose and throttle body??? looks like you welded and adapter on your up-pipe?? Do you plan to run stock injectors? If i was you i would make a fuel rail for bosche style top feeds. You can find dsm ~400cc injectors cheap on ebay. What style MAF does your car have??

I currently run a WRX intercooler in the RX. It sits farther back away from the engine though. I'm going to try to hook it directly to the throttle body and the samco hose, however I have a feeling the throttle cable/bracket might be in the way.

If that is the case.. I will use a straight runner to set the intercooler back from the TB a bit (probally 2-3") and will cut the samco hose just after the 90 turn for the turbo to extend the y-pipe.

Yes, the stock wrx uppipe flange was cutoff, and welded directly ontop of the stock flange. This helped to simplify the process. I was worried about keeping the turbo level, and throwing off the downpipe geometry.

I will be running stock injectors. However I am making fuel rails for the engine. They will have a barb for the top feed hoses on the stock injectors. I've seen some other injectors of this same style. The whole reason to make the fuel rails was spurred on by getting an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator. So hopefully with increased pressure I'll be able get more fuel into the engine.

My car has the hot wire MAF. For tuning I'm using an apexi SAFC to modify the MAF signal (as we have no MAP sensor). I will be putting in a HKS FCD to prevent the fuel cut inbetween the SAFC and the stock ECU.

I havent seen the hot wire mafs for the ea82 but if its like the newer ones the "guts" can be removed and placed in a larger tube. This will allow you to run a larger injector and will raise the factory fuel cut. Have a pic?? Its probably very possible to run a newer legacy hot wire maf too with the SAFC.

Hey Subarutex,

What is the duration and lift of those delta cams? The specs that were posted on another thread on the meassage board said that they were .42 inch lift and 260 duration for the mild torque grind. But when I called delta cams a couple of days ago for some more info, they told me that they were .386 inch lift with 260 duration. They said that they don't make a cam with .42 inch lift for the EA82T. So if you can let me know what the lift is, that would help me settle this confusion. Thanks.

Curious...are you running Cu HG?

Good thought Steve... I'll have a look. From memory it seems to be one piece though... Legacy MAF could work i spose... I'm modifing the signal anyways right? Makes sense...

Marck... I believe they offer 2 grinds for the EA82T. a 386/260 and a 430/260... Mine are the milder ones, so the 386/260 I think. Same ones WJM has.

The 430/260's require modification to something (i imagine because the lift is larger...)

I have decided against the CU HG's at this time. There is no solid evidence that they are any better than stock for our engines. The only reason I would see using CU HG would be to go thicker to get a lower CR. But our CR is already in the basement at 7.7?:1. I will however looking into using copper gasket sealant with the stock gaskets.

Nice buildup. Almost exactly what I plan to do. I have the manifold, the turbo, and Im getting ready to buy cams. Still need an intercooler. I need to rebuild my bottom end first. It started knocking two weeks ago. I read on another board somewhere that you can clock the turbo and bolt on the wastegate acuator with one bolt. On my td04 I drilled the turbo to bolt onto the factory flange. Looks like it will work fine but I haven't tried it yet. Hope it turns out good.

I don't see why the FCD wouldn't work. Its just a voltage clamp. The fuel cut is activated by the MAF signal being over a certain set voltage. If we can clamp the signal right before that voltage, we should never hit fuel cut.

The FCD is adjustable. So you just start with a really high voltage... and keep turning it lower and lower till the fuel cut goes away.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Subarutex

My car has the hot wire MAF. For tuning I'm using an apexi SAFC to modify the MAF signal (as we have no MAP sensor). I will be putting in a HKS FCD to prevent the fuel cut inbetween the SAFC and the stock ECU.

Hey SubaruTex,

I've been following your project for a bit and I asked a question a while back but you may have forgotten to post about it or didnt' have time to look.

Do you know what your Sensor Calc and Sensor Number setting is on your SAFC for your setup? Thanks!