Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

nissan transmission compatability??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • montana

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

so i was thinking...

i used to have a 1992 legacy wagon with an auto, the 4eat died a horrible death as most doo- so i pulled it and took it to a trans shop to be rebuilt.

when i got there- the owner of the shop said " ah- a pathfinder , huh?"

to which i replied, "no, subaru"

he says" oh, same thing, same tranny"

he indicated that the trannies use many of the same parts, filters, bands and clutches, ect.

this makes me wonder if it would be feasable to use a pathfinder trans in a solid axle set up to gain a true t case, ect.

just thinking out loud. hell maybe you could pull the tail housings off and apply the nissan tcase...

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

I would question a tranny shop owner that didn't notice the transaxle vs a transmission. After building an adapter to bolt them together. Then figuring out the set up for the convertor it might work.

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

yeah this is true, i thought mazda mpv van with the AWD had same 4eat too, cross compatible.

little secret we have on the svx board

http://www.subarusvx...ansmission.html

Edited by bheinen74, 31 January 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#4 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

actually, the reasr spline output on the 4eat body is exactly the same as the input for the tx10 transfer case.
i started researching this last year.from what i found there is not a cheap way to make the adapter for the 4eat to tx10 union.

however i do not think it would be diffucult in a proper shop...
the down side to all of it, is that nissan transfer case rigs are not popular , so the same prob remains.no aftermarket.
there are gear sets for the tx-10 and they are spendy as hell.like 1200 bucks .the positive side to it is that it is a 2.something low.......

the next step iun my evolution with the research was to get a nissan pathfinder version(with tx10 attached) and see if the bellhousing could be swapped with the subaru trans..i have a resource for this, just have not had the extra scratch yet...

be cause it truly is the mainbody of the trans that is the same between the two.

the new path i am on is a powerglide........
if you have any questions on my research, let me know. cheers, brain

Edited by monstaru, 31 January 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#5 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • montana

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

ive seen the GM trans behind a subaru... that was cool, 8 second wrx or something like that, the guy is local, crazy:slobber:

#6 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

yeah, he is my hero.i am actually looking for him sos i can get the schematics from him.i figure a powerglide with a diviorced t-case would be sweet.using it would give you multiple ranges like a twin stick...
i found a guy on nasioc that put a powerglide in a rock buggy....sounds like the way to go to me
cheers, rbain

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

there is a guy in the Indiana Impreza club that is selling an adapter plate to mate a soob to a gm trans for some 200 bucks, i'm sure he still has it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users