Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My GLadys adventures! (TONS of pics!)

-> Hi, I just bought an '89 GL Wagon w/ the bubble-top (aka. the Touring) wagon. I'm no stranger to Subaru's since I used to own a '04 and '06 WRX Wagons. But I'm a completely a newbie when it becomes to an Old-School Subies like the GL.

-> Is there any precausions that I must look out in regards to the car, drivetrain, and the highly talked about EA82 engine. I've heard a lot of scary stuff/stories regarding about this engine, and unfortunately I can't afford to do an engine swap (EJ--) for the wagon.

-> Here's a briefing about the car (from my threads at GTPlanet.net, TQPI.net, S2Ki.com, Flat4LV.com, & NASIOC.com:

GOOD

- True 4WD (has FWD, 4WD-Hi, & 4WD-Lo)

- Fuel Injected

- Rare bubble-top spec

- Engine runs good (has that distinctive Boxer rumble)

- No body damage (some trimmings are loose)

- Other than the dust-n-dirt the interior is flawless (except on the door panels)

- Only had two owners (10 years each)

- Used to owned by Joe Pesci (as the 1st owner)

- Clean title

- Owner states that car has no A/C, but I found out IT DID!!!

- 100% stock

BAD

- Car is located in Yucca, AZ by I-40 (2.5 hr drive from Vegas)

- A minor fuel rail leak

- 211K miles

- Paint and door panels are faded due to high temperature

- Uncertain if the car had a tuneup

- Current owner states that it needs a fuel pressure regulator, but the car ran normally when I test drove it

- Not much people know about the car

- Needs to be towed (distance, fuel leak)

- Since the car has sat on idle for a long time, the car rides a little rough at first

- Sometimes/rarely hesitates to go 2nd gear (been in idle for so long)

-> Here are some of the pics:

20441_1084657973502_1737980160_164997_8352169_n.jpg

20441_1084657933501_1737980160_164996_7868949_n.jpg

20441_1084658013503_1737980160_164998_7496860_n.jpg

20441_1084658053504_1737980160_164999_2070679_n.jpg

20441_1084658133506_1737980160_165001_4720331_n.jpg

20441_1084658173507_1737980160_165002_5622511_n.jpg

20441_1084658333511_1737980160_165006_8169989_n.jpg

20441_1084658413513_1737980160_165008_1073541_n.jpg

20441_1084658453514_1737980160_165009_7704299_n.jpg

20441_1084658533516_1737980160_165011_524076_n.jpg

20441_1084658613518_1737980160_165013_1210034_n.jpg

20441_1084658693520_1737980160_165015_418046_n.jpg

20441_1084658733521_1737980160_165016_2205278_n.jpg

20441_1084658773522_1737980160_165017_6825195_n.jpg

20441_1084658813523_1737980160_165018_5952192_n.jpg

20441_1084658853524_1737980160_165019_7245784_n.jpg

20441_1084659453539_1737980160_165034_3984727_n.jpg

-> Again, thanks for the welcome! :)

Edited by Vanishing Boy

How much did you pay. It looks good but you should be paying less then 800 bucks for a semi working non ac car in arizona.

You have a touring wagon which is somewhat rare.

Tuneups are pretty standard on these things. Use NGK plugs and wires and all will be well. Replace the fuel filter, air filter. Cap and Rotor, they like OEM stuff. Clean the MAF up.

Could the timeing belts be out on one side boys, is that why it will idle but not really move.

As far as the engine if its was a turbo then you would have problems. But its not, so you should be ok. Make sure the cooling system is toped off. Is there a way you can rent a UHaul Dolly and haul the thing back. All you would need to do is remove the rear driveshaft for safety sake and you could do that.

As far as AC goes. Your car doesnt have it. It might of had it at one time but looking at your engine pic i dont see the compresser or the lines.

picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=922

There were 2 types of AC systems for these cars. One before and after the alternator. Looking at your alternator it looks fairley new. Ive never seen that pully system before. You should hose out the engine bay, typical arizone dusty car.

Other then that stuff good find. Dont worry about the miles thats not a huge deal. Im jealous your car is in great shape. Just get the fuel issue straightned out and you should be ok. If you have a leak in the fuel system wouldnt that cause it to have idle problems. Good luck and keep us informed. Great place here you might not know alot about these cars but alot of people on here do.

Edited by The Dude Abides

Is there a way you can rent a UHaul Dolly and haul the thing back. All you would need to do is remove the rear driveshaft for safety sake and you could do that.

I wouldnt worry too much about removing the drive shaft. I've towed these many-a-times without removing the drive shaft. worked out fine:rolleyes:..:grin:

...There were 2 types of AC systems for these cars. One before and after the alternator. Looking at your alternator it looks fairley new. Ive never seen that pully system before...

My old '89 GL had the same pully system.. no A/C either. i rather liked the double belt system too:rolleyes:.

It looks good! nice find!

-Justin

-> ...

How much did you pay. It looks good but you should be paying less then 800 bucks for a semi working non ac car in arizona.

^ I paid $1,000 from the original price of $1,500.

You have a touring wagon which is somewhat rare.

^ I know, I've seen very few GL's here in Vegas; but never a Touring Wagon.

Tuneups are pretty standard on these things. Use NGK plugs and wires and all will be well. Replace the fuel filter, air filter. Cap and Rotor, they like OEM stuff. Clean the MAF up.

^ I'll make sure I'll get those NGK sets when I get all the parts for tune up (belts, pumps, etc.), any specific NGK spark do you have in mind?

-> I'm aware on the price of the air filter; is the fuel filter expensive?

-> Cap and Rotor? You mean the components for the cooling system?

-> Sorry for bring stupid here, but whats MAF?

Could the timeing belts be out on one side boys, is that why it will idle but not really move.

^ When I left this afternoon from AZ. The GL runs fine, my first reaction before was only a preasumption because the car was parked for couple of weeks before I drove it last Saturday.

As far as the engine if its was a turbo then you would have problems. But its not, so you should be ok. Make sure the cooling system is toped off. Is there a way you can rent a UHaul Dolly and haul the thing back. All you would need to do is remove the rear driveshaft for safety sake and you could do that.

^ Oh thank goodness!!! (7-11)

-> Just did that tonight.

-> Just found out last Sunday that a trailer is $59/day and to rent a truck is $20 plus 60¢/mile. So my rent for the truck roundtrip is $20 + $240. :eek:

^ So I just ended up driving the GL back to Vegas (a total of 156 mi.). Man the fuel economy of the GL is BONKERS!!!! (in a very good way).

-> Right now, the only issue that I'm having right now aside for a very minor fuel leak, is a broken CV half-shaft on the passenger front axle. It only make noise whenever I turn right. And some of the tires are flat-sided, given that the GL hasn't been used since the start of the new year.

As far as AC goes. Your car doesnt have it. It might of had it at one time but looking at your engine pic i dont see the compresser or the lines.

=Pic=

There were 2 types of AC systems for these cars. One before and after the alternator. Looking at your alternator it looks fairley new. Ive never seen that pully system before. You should hose out the engine bay, typical arizone dusty car.

^ Hmm, even there are some marks on the dash that says A/C on the dashboard? And how much is it to install A/C? Would you recommend for me to install it or not?

-> Yes, along with the battery too.

-> Will do if I'm brave enough to drive the GL around town with a broken CV-joint.

Other then that stuff good find. Dont worry about the miles thats not a huge deal. Im jealous your car is in great shape. Just get the fuel issue straightned out and you should be ok. If you have a leak in the fuel system wouldnt that cause it to have idle problems. Good luck and keep us informed. Great place here you might not know alot about these cars but alot of people on here do.

^ Many thanks again! :)

My old '89 GL had the same pully system.. no A/C either. i rather liked the double belt system too:rolleyes:.

It looks good! nice find!

-Justin

^ Was there a BIG difference compared to a single pulley?

-> Thanks! I was almost about to lose the car from another buyer, good thing the seller saw the light within me! LoL! :)

-> Will post more pics soon (the GL is in Vegas)!

Edited by Vanishing Boy

Good find there, congrats to you on that. I would have paid less for that, but the "rareness" factor comes into play here and the car is in good condition so I don't know...

Cap and rotor he's talking about is for the ignition. Shouldn't be that expensive, and neither is the fuel filter. The fuel filter is in the engine bay close to the driver side firewall held in place by a bracket and it's very easy to change. MAF = mass air flow sensor. It's the aluminum piece on the intake tube just after the air cleaner. Use some carb cleaner to clean the insides of it.

Subies came with the proper harnesses and switches for most options from the factory but may not have had all options. The AC might not have been installed at the time of purchase on you car at the dealer. Not sure how hard it is to install it now.

Im glad you made it home with out a tow. Let me answer a couple of your questions.

These are very basic, non high performance motors so whatever stock NGK replacements you can find will be perfect. The motors are only rated at about 98hp brand new so over time that gets alittle worse. The reason i recomend NGK is because folks on here recomended NGK to me. It is the OEM essential brand for replacement parts. I dont know what kind of automotove experience you have but your basic plugs, wire, cap, rotor is a good start for a tuneup. If you were at the front of your car faceing the motor, the fuel filter is in the upper right hand corner next to the firewall. ITs about 4 to 5 bucks to replace and should be done when doing a tuneup. Your maf is the electronic box located after the air filter. It measure airflow onto a sensor. If its dirty (which being in vegas it should be) it will not allow your car to selfadjust it self for airflow whatnot and not get as good gas mileage and run poorly. Just another tuneup thing thats easy and cheap to do. Remove the air box and look inside the tube you will see alittle wire hangine inbetween the tubes. Clean that with Maf Cleaner and your good to go.

Your CV shaft is a different issue. I have had mine clicking for 3 years now. Its on borrowed time when it goes but im told that if it does go and your in the middle of nowhere, you can pop it into 4wd and it should get you home.

As far as what you paid for it, i still think thats a good price. The lack of A/C system sucks in your part of the world and im sure you might be able to add it on but it would probally cost what you paid for the car. You could always try to find the parts in a bone yard and have someone else install it and charge it. You can narrow down your fuel issue then ask for your replacement part on the board here. There are folks on the board who have a yard full of cars. And parts are cheep.

As far as your tires go, your in luck because 13inch tires are mega cheep. But if you wanted to lift it or lower it there are some other wheel options but none extremely easy. Subaru uses 4x140 bolt which is used only buy only one other car company Peugeot. This wheel requires no modification but wheels are hard enough to find let alone the special lugnuts that go with them. You can always redrill 6 lug truck wheels but that again has its drawbacks. Though you havent mentioned anything about wheels i thought you should know anyways.

You have a very special car. I believe 89 was the last year of the touring wagon, last year of the dual range, last year before they got cheap.

That should be it for now.

-> ...

Good find there, congrats to you on that. I would have paid less for that, but the "rareness" factor comes into play here and the car is in good condition so I don't know...

^ It was worth it. The GL passed the ultimate $1K test in my opinion, The cross-interstate long distance drive test. :grin:

Cap and rotor he's talking about is for the ignition. Shouldn't be that expensive, and neither is the fuel filter. The fuel filter is in the engine bay close to the driver side firewall held in place by a bracket and it's very easy to change. MAF = mass air flow sensor. It's the aluminum piece on the intake tube just after the air cleaner. Use some carb cleaner to clean the insides of it.

^ Will I get that at any AutoZone/NAPA/Checker-O'Reiley/Pep Boys? Or should I either look online or one of those import speciality parts store, we have one here in Vegas.

Subies came with the proper harnesses and switches for most options from the factory but may not have had all options. The AC might not have been installed at the time of purchase on you car at the dealer. Not sure how hard it is to install it now.

^ Damn thats a bummer...if it gets too hot, I'll just use my other car 'coz it has A/C. :)

Im glad you made it home without a tow. Let me answer a couple of your questions.

These are very basic, non high performance motors so whatever stock NGK replacements you can find will be perfect. The motors are only rated at about 98hp brand new so over time that gets alittle worse. The reason i recomend NGK is because folks on here recomended NGK to me. It is the OEM essential brand for replacement parts.

^ So its NGK then, good...I also have to get extra sparks for my S2000. It too nequires NGK's too. :banana:

-> Less than 98hp does not bother me at all. I used to drive cars that are far weaker:

1992 Toyota LiteAce van (Philippines) - 65hp

1993 Nissan Sentra 1.4 EXSaloon sedan (Philippines) - 78hp

1991 Nissan [Hard Body] Pathfinder Diesel pickup (Philippines) - 58hp

1994 Toyota Corolla 1.3XL and XE sedans (Philippines) - 62hp

1983 Toyota Corolla SR5 "Hatchi-Roku" hatchback (US) - 78hp

1991 Mazda B2000 Diesel pickup (Philippines) - 48hp

:rolleyes:

I dont know what kind of automotove experience you have but your basic plugs, wire, cap, rotor is a good start for a tuneup. If you were at the front of your car faceing the motor, the fuel filter is in the upper right hand corner next to the firewall. ITs about 4 to 5 bucks to replace and should be done when doing a tuneup. Your maf is the electronic box located after the air filter. It measure airflow onto a sensor. If its dirty (which being in vegas it should be) it will not allow your car to selfadjust it self for airflow whatnot and not get as good gas mileage and run poorly. Just another tuneup thing thats easy and cheap to do. Remove the air box and look inside the tube you will see alittle wire hangine inbetween the tubes. Clean that with Maf Cleaner and your good to go.

^ As long as I have the service manual, tools, parts, beer/food, & friends. I'll be ok. :)

-> Vegas is not as dirty as what you think. Arizona is, and the car spent all of its 2nd owners 10 years on gravel roads. So maybe later, I might replace the shocks too. :)

Your CV shaft is a different issue. I have had mine clicking for 3 years now. Its on borrowed time when it goes but im told that if it does go and your in the middle of nowhere, you can pop it into 4wd and it should get you home.

^ It's not clicking anymore, its more like 'grinding' like its on a verge of braking up. :(

As far as what you paid for it, i still think thats a good price. The lack of A/C system sucks in your part of the world and im sure you might be able to add it on but it would probally cost what you paid for the car. You could always try to find the parts in a bone yard and have someone else install it and charge it.

^ Man, that is very unfortunate still. But even thou if my GL has A/C, it will be an R12 refrigerant (like the AE86 & even my '92 Integra GS-R) on which particularly does not exist anymore. If there is an R134 kit, I would think twice. :)

You can narrow down your fuel issue then ask for your replacement part on the board here. There are folks on the board who have a yard full of cars. And parts are cheep.

^ Thanks, I think it just need the hose to replace it, plus the section would be small. I will ask the board in the future, but first I must replace the CV-joint. :)

As far as your tires go, your in luck because 13inch tires are mega cheep. But if you wanted to lift it or lower it there are some other wheel options but none extremely easy. Subaru uses 4x140 bolt which is used only buy only one other car company Peugeot. This wheel requires no modification but wheels are hard enough to find let alone the special lugnuts that go with them. You can always redrill 6 lug truck wheels but that again has its drawbacks. Though you havent mentioned anything about wheels i thought you should know anyways.

^ It's good that that teeny-weeny tires are very cost effective. I'll just increase the tire size when I swapped the engine in the future. I might restore those 'caps instead. ;)

You have a very special car. I believe 89 was the last year of the touring wagon, last year of the dual range, last year before they got cheap.

That should be it for now.

^ Oh its as special as my Odyssey (last year of the RA3 body, and the only year that came with the F23 {150hp} engine) and my S2000 (last year without traction control, last year with cable throtte, and first year of the AP2). :grin:

No, least not that i could see. I mostly liked it because *if* you broke a belt, you have a secondary one already there.

-Justin

^ Thats good its reassuring that way. :)

No doubt a good buy and yes, it passed that test handily.

Yes, Autozone/O'Reilly/NAPA/Advance should have most of what you need like your filters, plugs, struts, etc. The only part I've had to special order from a dealership so far is an accelerator cable. And mind you, I'm in Houston, TX which is not known for older Subarus.

No doubt a good buy and yes, it passed that test handily.

^ I was so happy when it made it! :banana:

Yes, Autozone/O'Reilly/NAPA/Advance should have most of what you need like your filters, plugs, struts, etc. The only part I've had to special order from a dealership so far is an accelerator cable. And mind you, I'm in Houston, TX which is not known for older Subarus.

^ Ok, thats cool, even here in Vegas too there is not much fanbase for the old Subies only newer ones (Flat4LV). :-\

I didnt mean dirty as unclean, just dusty. I found my NGK stuff at napa. When you get to cooling problems stick to subaru only. RockAuto.com and 1stsubaru.com are excelent places to get parts online. Yea sorry about your cv shaft problem. Thats 1 MORE thing. Yet another thing these cars like is a brand new axel. They remanufactured ones tend to be not as good of qualty. Theres a guy in colorado that rebuilds them to better then factory specs. Prices are good also but i dont recall the name off hand. Good luck to ya, atleast you have backup. When mine brakes down its all i got.

I got this............

Remember when i told you about the few options we have for these cars for wheel choices. Well you are looking at the 15inch peugot wheel. And you are seeing the result of not useing the specific peugot lug nut. They take a special recessed lugnut that fits over the wheel perfectly. I believe mr (one eye) was useing subaru or somewhat like lugnuts. Its ok and they work fine for a while. But sooner or latter the aluminum gives way and the smaller lugnut rips through the hole causeing the wheel to detach from the vehicle. So like i said, if you want other wheels get the peugots just makesure you get the lugnuts with your wheels.:grin:

I got this............

Remember when i told you about the few options we have for these cars for wheel choices. Well you are looking at the 15inch peugot wheel. And you are seeing the result of not useing the specific peugot lug nut. They take a special recessed lugnut that fits over the wheel perfectly. I believe mr (one eye) was useing subaru or somewhat like lugnuts. Its ok and they work fine for a while. But sooner or latter the aluminum gives way and the smaller lugnut rips through the hole causeing the wheel to detach from the vehicle. So like i said, if you want other wheels get the peugots just makesure you get the lugnuts with your wheels.:grin:

thats what happened...............

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

-> Installed new 'joints few weeks ago, remember the Help! live thread in the other forum here in USMB...this was it!

17039_1087539485538_1737980160_170290_7840802_n.jpg

17039_1087539525539_1737980160_170291_8344387_n.jpg

17039_1087539605541_1737980160_170293_274939_n.jpg

17039_1087539685543_1737980160_170295_522432_n.jpg

17039_1087549445787_1737980160_170313_5030429_n.jpg

17039_1087549485788_1737980160_170314_4238689_n.jpg

-> At the undergound import meet last thursday:

19541_1090235752943_1737980160_174411_4758711_n.jpg

19541_1090236032950_1737980160_174418_4424226_n.jpg

19541_1090235872946_1737980160_174414_2242683_n.jpg

19541_1090235912947_1737980160_174415_6322500_n.jpg

19541_1090235952948_1737980160_174416_2928508_n.jpg

19541_1090236112952_1737980160_174420_253747_n.jpg

-> Just random shots on "Gladys"

19541_1090236272956_1737980160_174424_7232085_n.jpg

19541_1090236432960_1737980160_174427_5547398_n.jpg

-> New tires, Pirelli Cinturato P5:

19541_1090236392959_1737980160_174426_4724238_n.jpg

-> With my other baby, "Silvie":

19541_1090236512962_1737980160_174429_4518203_n.jpg

19541_1090236552963_1737980160_174430_110120_n.jpg

22341_1091032892871_1737980160_175821_7979395_n.jpg

-> Maybe one day, we'll just be coming here just to buy some Subie parts

22341_1091032932872_1737980160_175822_5698623_n.jpg

^ If we can only hope...:rolleyes:

:)

• 3 weeks later...

-> ...

Oh they sell Duct Tape.

Btw... you ever figure out that CV guy in Colorado? May have to stock up.

^ What CV guy? Please refreshen me, I have a TONS of thing on my mind. :(

BT-> Took more pics of GLadys:

Trip to UT

25354_1097051763339_1737980160_186593_6946930_n.jpg

25354_1097051843341_1737980160_186595_6426404_n.jpg

^ Not much happend, just testing its 'mud' and D/R 4WD capabilities. :rolleyes:

Top of a hill in east Vegas

25354_1097051883342_1737980160_186596_1203216_n.jpg

25354_1097051923343_1737980160_186597_5201997_n.jpg

25354_1097051963344_1737980160_186598_5371223_n.jpg

25354_1097052003345_1737980160_186599_756512_n.jpg

25354_1097052043346_1737980160_186600_7225950_n.jpg