Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EG33 curious...any "common" problems?

This is for the SVX guys here...thanks in advance for any input !

Just went to Hilton Head, SC, this past weekend and got the car of my adolescent fantasies...(perhaps it's my mid-life crisis):lol:

Now that it's MINE, I'm beginning to realize the enormous amount of complexity involved in this cars engine, and in it's electronics...I am quite excited (and a touch intimidated) when I begin looking around under this monsters' hood !

I'm used to the old EA81 and EA82 engines-this EG33 is a wholly different animal altogether...and I need to get educated quickly !!! BEFORE problems arise, that is :) I have about a thousand questions, but two I really need answered:

I'm very curious if there are any "very common" problems with these engines (or it's controls) - for example, the crummy CTS connections in the XT6's?

Is the EG33 a non-interference engine, like the EA and ER engines ? Or does it destroy itself if you break a timing belt, like the EJ's do?

It is non-interference.

There are no real issues with the engine other than Subaru style oil leaks. The biggest problem is the tranny. They are prone to overheating and early death. Install a good tranny cooler, one with a thermostat and fan is best.

Check out: http://www.subaru-svx.net

As of Saturday, I now own 2 of them.

Edited by Blacky

It's really just seals and routine maintenance. The EG is really just a stretched out EJ22 with modified DOHC heads. It has a timing belt and is fairly simple (but fantastic). Is yours a OBD-I or OBD-II car? And as others have said, it's the trans that needs to be watched out for.

It's really just seals and routine maintenance. The EG is really just a stretched out EJ22 with modified DOHC heads. It has a timing belt and is fairly simple (but fantastic). Is yours a OBD-I or OBD-II car? And as others have said, it's the trans that needs to be watched out for.

Battlewagon - this car is a 1994 SVX LsI, so it's an OBD-I :banana: meaning user-friendly, right ? Like my '91 XT is ?

And plus, from all I have read, by '94 the clutch pack problem in the CD had been fixed, and also Subaru had added a remote trans. filter...so adding a trans. cooler is going to be easy!:headbang:I sincerely doubt I will have any problems from the tranny - it seems to me any failure would have happened by now (I hope). I talked to the owner at GREAT length before going 400+ miles to see/buy it... the car has 191K on the clock, and has never been abused or put on the track.The car has been professionally maintained since day one, and the (only) previous owner kept ALL his service receipts to prove it !! How rare ! :clap:

"It was the best car I ever owned...", he had said.

Now I truly believe him !

This is truly an amazing car :burnout: and I am more impressed with it EVERY single time I get behind the wheel !!! I am certain this romance will eventually have it's tough times, but dear Lord I am in love with this thing! :slobber:Soon enough, I will have to be wrenching on it, but I fully expect I will as happy with Subaru's engineering as I am with my other two Soobs !

I am not nearly as intimidated now as I was a week ago, which brings me to my next point:

I am so pleased by all the positive feedback I have been receiving, here, and at http://www.Subaru-SVX.net ! I cannot thank all here enough, as time and again, this site has been an invaluable resource ...