Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hill Holder Removal? '87 Brat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 94Loyale

94Loyale

I Love EJ22's

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Orwigsburg,Pennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys. On the Brat I recently picked up, the hillholder is leaking. Not from any of the lines, but the unit itself. Anyone just remove it from the system and tee the lines together? I'd figure that would work just fine, but I wanted to see if anyone else did it. I searched around, but couldn't find anything that helped. Or does anyone have a non-leaking hillholder from a Brat they would like to sell me? :)

#2 AWD TURBO!

AWD TURBO!

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • vancouver

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

i have one from a 88 gl if that works

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Just replace it with a good used HH - they are common and I'm pretty sure they didn't change the design of the valve much even through the mid 90's in the Legacy, etc.

They can be rebuilt with new seals as well. It's not common for them to leak unless water has got into the braking system.

GD

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,462 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Just replace it with a good used HH - they are common and I'm pretty sure they didn't change the design of the valve much even through the mid 90's in the Legacy, etc.

The unit is the same with one exception.

However on the later ones (legacy, outback, imp) they only tapped an outlet to one brake(front left IIRC) whereas the old ones have lines going out to both the front left and rear right.

the unused boss is still cast into the unit, but the hole isn't drilled or tapped.

Seems as though you could "T" out of that one outlet to hook up the two lines out of the original unit.

#5 94Loyale

94Loyale

I Love EJ22's

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

Well, I do have a good one on my GL10 parts car. But it looks a little different. Basically where the cable attaches. I didn't get a good enough look at it to be positive. Maybe I'll check it out tonight before the snow! I don't care if it works, I just don't want it to leak :) Thanks for the advice guys!

#6 brat82

brat82

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Siskiyou Mtns...S.Oregon

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

I need a hill holder cable for 82 brat...

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I need a hill holder cable for 82 brat...

Dealership. They aren't terribly expensive - best to get a new one. You don't want it binding.

GD

#8 94Loyale

94Loyale

I Love EJ22's

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

Yes, if you are asking if I would sell you mine. You probably don't want it. And GD is right about the dealership, I don't know where else you would find one.

#9 brat82

brat82

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Siskiyou Mtns...S.Oregon

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

thanks guys, I'll check the dealer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users