Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horrific Gas Mileage, Or Broken Gauge?

Have a question about these subarus.

Recently bought a 94' Loyale Wagon Auto with the 1.8 in her.

Question is how many gallons of gas does this thing hold.

At 165 miles on the odometer the guage reads empty, yet fills up with only 11 gallons.

If thats the case, I was getting better mpg with my Bronco (24 to be exact)

SO what should I expect to get around with it?

15 mpg is definitely horrific mileage, I consider the 18-19 I get in the city right now to be bad (am going to do the tune up SOON!) Do you have a Check Engine light on? Has yours been tuned in the last 30k? Does it run roughly? Something is wrong besides the gauge being off!

I always assumed the EA 82 tanks were 15.9 gallons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your MPG calculation could be off if you're using the wrong numbers.

As far as milage on these cars, 15 mpg is kinda sh*tty, but high teens low 20's isn't unheard of if you drive hard, your car is out of tune, and you live in a cold region of the Country. I have been told by a service station owner that the gas formulations change throughout the season, and this has an adverse on MPG's in the winter. Supposedly, the best fuel "recipe" for winter driving is also the worst for economy. Mid to high 20's is what you would expect in a good running car that's driven in moderation.

Still, it sounds like a serious tune up is in order here. I'm talking the 60k service interval, which includes some ignition, fuel and emissions service. But before you do all that, I would pull ECU codes for some clues. I would suspect that one of your sensors is out if you are truly at only 15MPG's.

good luck, John

i'm pretty sure that the ea82 wagons had 16 gallon gas tanks, and the ea81 hatches had 13 gallon..

you mileage does stink.. the wagon i just picked up went 200 miles on a tank, its sittin on E now.. and that sux imo.. but my check engine light is on, and the 3at trans slips like a pig, so i understand why i get that mileage..

and subiemech.. the loyale's were pretty much identical to the ea82 DL/GL wagons.. ea82 spfi, etc, etc.. legacies were totally different... so his post should be here..

just not too many folks on this side of the board like the loyales because they are basically a DL with air conditioning...

my old turbo wagon got 34 MPG and its had 290k.. but i've never really had a spfi ea82 car before, so can't give ya a real good estimate of what it should get..

On my 87 GL with the 3AT I would consistently get 25 MPG no matter how I drove it (even if I flogged it). I would frequently get up to 28 MPG and once got 32 on a long highway trip). My trip ODO would be at around 340 miles when I noticed the needle approaching the "E"

What size tires on are the car? Is it possible that you have the wrong size tires making the ODO inaccurate?

First off, no my wagon is in possibly the condition it was when it rolled off the line, only has 91k miles.

Its the 1.8 engine with the automatic trans.

Everything has been tuned up for the 90k service, plugs, filters, camshaft, head, valvecovers, seals, dist cap, plug wires, all fluids, oil changed every 3k miles.

So no my car is far from out of tune. Problem is, at 165 miles on the odometer the gas guage reads E. It fills up with exactly 11 gallons of gas. Lots of highway miles on this car also. YEs its cold weather here in jersey, but my 90 Ford Bronco was getting 24-26 Miles per gallon. So either the gas tank for this model is larger than yours and the guage is way off, I dont know, does anyone?

Or is someone stealing my gas?

my 92 loyale gets cruddy mileage too (268k miles). when it finally dries off enough here that i can get underneath it (averaging 4 inches of snow a week), i'm going to replace the o2 sensor. If the o2 sensor is constantly showing a lean mixture, then the computer would keep making the mixture too rich thus ruining your mileage. right now i'm getting like 16 city, 24 highway. but I also tend to keep my foot in it pretty good

OK - so here's what you've got:

1. Your gas gauge is reading wrong if it is at "E" and you only take 11 gallons. Might be interesting to take a gallon of gas with you and run the thing completely out, seeing just how far below "E" you can run it. When you run out, put the gallon in, go get gas, and see how much fuel it takes. That fill-up plus 1 gallon will be your capacity.

2. You are getting bad mileage. If you have only gone 165 miles on your 11 gallons of not-quite-full tank, you are getting 15mpg (165 divided by 15). OR, maybe someone is stealing your gas, but I'll bet they won't steal the same amount every time, so check over several tankfuls.

The Loyale tank is 15.9 gallons.

My low-fuel light comes on consistently when I hit 12 gallons consumed, and the needle is near the bottom. Even when full, the needle usually doesn't go to the full mark or above, and it goes down very quickly--but this is probably the result of corrosion on the sender unit in the tank.

My winter mileage hovers around 24-25, other seasons around 27. Due to different gas used in winter.

I'm on my 10th Loyale 4WD wagon, but it's only my second with automatic. Car runs perfect and mileage s*cks. I've had 85s, 86s, 88s, 91, 93s, and all of them with standard trans. got around 24- 28 in the summer and 21-24 in the Winter. But . . . the two with 3 speed automatics - a 87 and a 92, are both gutless and both get around 16-17 in winter driving and maybe 21-22 in summer. That's kind of amusing considering my Chevy 3/4 ton diesel Suburban gets 20 m.p.g. and my 1/2 ton diesel Blazer gets 22 m.p.g.

Long story short, I will never - and I mean NEVER buy another Subaru Loyale with automatic. Besides the low power and bad gas mileage, I don't even consider them true 4WD. Standard shift has true 4WD, gear driven - it's either IN or it's OUT. Automatic is different. Has a hydraulic clutch pack in the back end of the automatic trans. and is designed to slip at low throtte. That's kind of counter-intuitive to me since . . . when the roads are real bad I don't want to have to stomp on the gas pedal to get all the wheels engaged. I live on top of a mountain and our seasonal road - most of the time in the winter - is not driveable with a two-wheel drive. I've been using Subaru Loyale 4WD wagons (not AWDs) for years because they GO, and they STOP better than any of my big 4WDs. The automatics do not get the traction my standard shift Loyales got. Funny thing is, I guess smaller is better when it comes to traction. Best 4WD I ever drove is our little 4WD Justy. If it gets ground clearnace, it will go anywhere, and it averages around 33 m.p.g. all winter.

By the way, my Loyale wagon tanks all hold around 15 gallons.

Every single EA82 gas tank holds approximately 16 gallons, plus or minus a half a gallon. 4WD models are I think around 15.8 because of the extra drivetran garbage; 2WDs are 15.9. This includes every 1985-1989 DL, GL, GL-10, and Turbo Traction; every XT and XT6; and every Loyale. (And every Forester to date, too.)

Chrikey. My Loyale's sitting on the street right now, tank on empty... always takes about 11.5 gallons to fill it from the empty mark, too. The idiot light never comes on, though... I may have never run it fully out of gas before, but I figured I was close. Heck... another 4 gallons of gas might still be in there? Wow.

If the left front halfshaft wasn't still clicking, and I had that rescue gallon, I might just go for it... *sigh*