Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ205 into RX

glcoupeguy

ok i finally got a wire harness but this engine has too many sensors to count and im a bit overwhelmed. there doesnt seem to be much info on the EJ205 in this forum or even the EA to EJ writeup. (i hate nasioc's format so i didnt even bother looking there) theres extra sensors on the intake manifold and it has coil on plugs. i was thrilled with the throttlebody though!(integrated mass airflow mmmmm) would a haynes manual cover this or should i get something from the dealership? also any online resources would be cool but i cant find any! ...i might just be too lazy to find them though

Edited by glcoupeguy

or even the EA to EJ writeup

Really?!?!?! You didn't see the sticky at the top of this section?!?!? chux did a entire write up in PDF format. READ THE WHOLE THREAD. The link at the beginning does not work.

would a haynes manual cover this or should i get something from the dealership?

I would grab a FSM, either from the classified section here or off ebay. They have ALL the info you need. I got mine for $24 plus shipping, hell of a deal :)

I would say some research is in order, and then post back with some specific questions about the swap you want to do :rolleyes:

ok i finally got a wire harness but this engine has too many sensors to count and im a bit overwhelmed. there doesnt seem to be much info on the EJ205 in this forum or even the EA to EJ writeup. (i hate nasioc's format so i didnt even bother looking there) theres extra sensors on the intake manifold and it has coil on plugs. i was thrilled with the throttlebody though!(integrated mass airflow mmmmm) would a haynes manual cover this or should i get something from the dealership? also any online resources would be cool but i cant find any! ...i might just be too lazy to find them though

The ej205 is an obd2 motor, thus it has way more wiring than an obd1 motor..the mass aiflow sensor is NOT integrated into the throttle body, the IAC is though. there are two major types of ej205: the 99-2001 version (gc chassis) and the post 2001 (gd chassis). Since you describe coil on plug I'll assume it's a post 2001 205.

The MAF sensor is located in the intake tract just after the air filter box.

This swap is still very doable but you NEED the 205 wiring diagram as well as the rx diagrams which are both available online via FSM downloads(there are partial 89 manuals lurking as well as full 88xt manuals and full 2004 STi FSM google does wonders)..What year RX is it? Are you using the RX gearbox? If yes, I'd reconsider as I don't think any ea clutch is gonna hold up unless you have it custom build.

Be methodical and take pictures label everything and trim carefully. I advise a solder joint then rtv then heatshrink tubing for all wire junctions it is time consuming but it will save you from wiring gremlins in the long run and make your joints last as long as the wire.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

HTH

Kaz

thank you! that diagram should help ALOT. the owner i got the harness from said the mass airflow was on the throttlebody but he had aftermarket parts and had already sold it. im probably going to get a legacy trans. will that do the trick?

...FSM:banana:

Edited by glcoupeguy