Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/c compressor oil question

Well I brought a vacuum pump and the gauges I just still need to buy a new condenser since whatever it is that hit it caused a leak (happened before I brought car)

So I understand you put whatever oil that came out of it.. well since I happen to notice the oily spot on the condenser I figured I lost some oil from that area.

2 Questions..

Which is better normal PAG 100 oil or the R134a with PAG 100 oil?

and where are the drain and fill ports on the compressor? the rest I got figured out I just don't want to put in this R-134a with the PAG 100 and possibly put too much oil in the system.

It looks like your question really centers around how much Pag 100 you might have lost, and therefore how much is left in the system. The answer to that is prolly impossible to tell. You might be better off to evacuate the entire system of oil and 134 refrigerant, and start from empty on both. Then you will know exactly how much PAG and 134 you need to put into the system.

A/C compressors don't have drain and fill ports. I am strictly a "shade tree" mechanic in knowledge here. My experience has been in replacing bad compressors. I swap them out, and pour an ounce or two of oil into the new compressor at the line connections, and rotate the pulley by hand to lubricate the internals. I add the rest at the low side port fitting, then pull a vacuum, and add 134. Be sure to install new O rings at any fitting that you have opened.

I am sure others here know more about this, and can add better advise.

Good Luck!

yeah that's pretty much my question I understand the drier has some oil in it too but I'm getting a new one as well.

This can i have here says it has 2 oz of PAG 100 oil and 1 Oz of R134a I don't remember off hand what the system takes as I need to find out where my service manuals are now.

yeah that's pretty much my question I understand the drier has some oil in it too but I'm getting a new one as well.

This can i have here says it has 2 oz of PAG 100 oil and 1 Oz of R134a I don't remember off hand what the system takes as I need to find out where my service manuals are now.

Whenever you add PAG oil into an open system, cap off the system as soon as possible. PAG oil readily attracts moisture out of the atmosphere. You do not want moisture in your A/C system.

yep I got that. for the oil I have to turn it upside down to add oil it says

DSC_0800.jpg

still need to pick up the o-rings

Yep, turn the can upside down to add the oil.

I see you have a can of 134 with UV leak detector. It is going to take maybe 3+ cans of 134 to fill your system from empty. I don't think I would use 3 cans of the 134 with leak detector. Use regular 134 cans, and only 1 can of the leak detector cans.

Best to use new O rings, when fittings are opened. If you reuse old O rings, you are just asking for leaks. I know, I have been there.

Yep, turn the can upside down to add the oil.

I see you have a can of 134 with UV leak detector. It is going to take maybe 3+ cans of 134 to fill your system from empty. I don't think I would use 3 cans of the 134 with leak detector. Use regular 134 cans, and only 1 can of the leak detector cans.

Best to use new O rings, when fittings are opened. If you reuse old O rings, you are just asking for leaks. I know, I have been there.

yeah like I said before I brought the can like 5 months ago BEFORE I decided to just do everything.. I might replace the evaporator along with the expansion valve.

Looking at the service manual here I think I might be buying just the oil and not the oil/R134a mix

I hope this works.. from FSM

Evaporator 114 m (3.9 US fl oz, 4.0 Imp fl oz)

Receiver drier 5 m (0.2 US fl oz, 0.2 Imp fl oz)

Condenser 2 m (0.07 US fl oz, 0.07 Imp fl oz)

Hose 1 m (0.03 US fl oz, 0.04 Imp fl oz)

If the compressor is replaced (after stabilization):

1) Drain and measure the oil from the original compressor.

2) Drain the oil from the replacement compressor and refill

with the same amount that was drained from the original

[20 m (0.7 US fl oz, 0.7 Imp fl oz) minimum]. Always use

ZXL100PG for the replacement oil.

Hmm I just woke up but that seems that would add up to more then 2 oz of oil right?

yeah like I said before I brought the can like 5 months ago BEFORE I decided to just do everything.. I might replace the evaporator along with the expansion valve.

Looking at the service manual here I think I might be buying just the oil and not the oil/R134a mix

I hope this works.. from FSM

Evaporator 114 m (3.9 US fl oz, 4.0 Imp fl oz)

Receiver drier 5 m (0.2 US fl oz, 0.2 Imp fl oz)

Condenser 2 m (0.07 US fl oz, 0.07 Imp fl oz)

Hose 1 m (0.03 US fl oz, 0.04 Imp fl oz)

If the compressor is replaced (after stabilization):

1) Drain and measure the oil from the original compressor.

2) Drain the oil from the replacement compressor and refill

with the same amount that was drained from the original

[20 m (0.7 US fl oz, 0.7 Imp fl oz) minimum]. Always use

ZXL100PG for the replacement oil.

Hmm I just woke up but that seems that would add up to more then 2 oz of oil right?

Yea, adding your "US fl oz" numbers, total comes in just little over 4.2 oz. That sounds right. 2 oz sounds like too little. I don't think you have to be totally accurate on how much you add, just close enough will work. Best to be a little over then a little under.

Yea, adding your "US fl oz" numbers, total comes in just little over 4.2 oz. That sounds right. 2 oz sounds like too little. I don't think you have to be totally accurate on how much you add, just close enough will work. Best to be a little over then a little under.

yeah that's what I was thinking too I rather be a little over.

anyone know what type of compressor the 95 Legacy has? scroll?

However I was going to run some UV in this morning but it does not seem like the temps will get above 32F today and it will be in the 30's for just about the whole forthcoming week.

wont the cold weather throw off the readings? And the compressor has a cut off of 60F or something like that?

• 4 months later...

finally the weather is warmer then my last post my condenser from rock auto should be here on the 23th.

I have 3 cans of R134a which should be enough..

I picked up some new o-rings but what I might do still is take the compressor out and drain the oil because when I took the lines off it was hard to tell how much oil was in it.

I also ordered an 8 oz bottle of Cool pro PAG 100 oil which it's hard to find just the oil local so I had to order for a little over $15 :-\

I also ordered a new expansion valve along with the condenser.

I don't think I'm missing anything else..

I got 3 final o-rings to replace before I can start pulling a vacuum on the system and that's the TXV I can't figure out if the bolt on the firewall is to turn counterclock-wise or what.. It feels like it does not want to budge at all... Looking at the service manual it says something like 14 Ft.Lb

What a pitiful day.. all I really got to do was do the compressor and put on the new dryer.. I tried to take the lines off from the dryer to the evaporator box and I was only able to get the larger 32mm nut undone but the 19 mm under it is a huge pain.. So much for is needed that the line seems to be twisting..

Don't mind the specks you see in the oil from the compressor it's from the leaves on my shirt as I was on the ground and some fell in the cup.

I filled the compressor with 20 ml of PAG 100 oil.

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

IMG_5929.jpg

pressure sensor took about 20 min to get off too

Does anyone know what part number 73550AC200 looks like? Is that the smaller pipe? Looking at the link here it seems to be listed and 9 & 10 but they just point to the same pipe.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_16/climate/cooling_unit/

If that's the case I might just cut the pipe off and buy the replacement which I doubt is kept in stock at local dealerships.

ugh almost done vacuum pump running now... what I did notice is the High side of the condenser does not really mate right with the H line when the top screw part was flush the O-ring was still showing.. I had to double up the O-ring which may or may not be a good thing but it's sealed better then just one.

Evap got 114 mL of oil