Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 cold start and idle problems

I recently just did a hg job on my ea82t on my 85 xt fwd... my timing belt broke before the job, so i decided to do the whole nine yards. I had to replace my driver side cam... as there was a nasty gash on one of the lobes... also had all the lifers rebuilt and my valves serviced. i trippled checked my belts, they are all good. I set the timing to 25degrees btdc, at 700rpms.. after warming it up.. however i had to give it a lot of gas to get it warmed up and keep it on, and once i set the timing it ran fine. test drove, performs fine, feels great, lifters are nice and quiet. thought i was done..

next morning it started up, went up to 2000 rpms and died after ten seconds... i forced it to warm up, when i started to idle fine.. but then it drove it and then it started idling at 2500..

Also i broke my temp sensor in block... so i got one from a gl10 at the junk yard.. however the wire connectors are differant, mine has two connections the new one has only a single pin... anyways i hooked up a wire to it and jimmy rigged it to hook up... temporaray till i get a new one. I did the timing with the vaccum line off and electrical disconnected....

Also the vaccum line that comes from the air inlet from turbo to tb i cant figure out where this goes... i taped off the end.. could this be my problem..? this is my first ea82.. my book doesnt show me anything of vallue... also the bottom of my canister doesnt have anything hooked up in the bottom.

GO COLTS!!

ok.. so i figured out where that vaccum line goes... it hooks up to i think an air sensor right over the thermostat..

Now the engine no longer dies, however it is idling at 2500 rpms ... i adjusted the throttle all the way down... no affect at all.. im confused as to what to do now.. what would cause this to idle so high? do i need to retime it? any help would be most appreciated. it didnt do this before my timing belt broke.

if you are talking about the intake plenum< the 'vacuum line' (hose) goes to the axillary air valve on top of the thermostat.

this valve opens for cold starts, and closes as the car warms up. this is what you have taped off goes to

can you provide a picture of the motor? 85 and 86 are going to be specific to those 2 years. 87 is more like the later models with optical distributor, but the connector plugs will be more like the 85/86 (black round plug on disty) but electrically is mopre like 88 and later (optical disty, square white plug)

Edited by MilesFox

i figured out that the aav is working... i warmed her up and then shut it down, took off the aav and the valve was closed... Also the rpms after getting to operating temp is now 1500.. still to high.. but im assuming my problem is not the AAV.

I dont have a digi camera on me right now.. i would post a pic if i could.

also i noticed my egr pipe is cross threaded.. stupid me but i think its in enough to keep it from leaking.. would this effect idle? my instinct says no but i could be wrong....

i checked for vaccum leaks and im not seeing or hearing any bad or loose hoses.

So could it be the TBS?

ok update...

i adjusted the idle control.. it was half way up its threads.. i brought it all the way down and now the idle is at 700-800 rpms... its running nicely now..

is adjusting it all the way down normal? anyways now i gotta fix my power steering line as the damn threads are all screwed up.... back to the junk yard again..