Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will a tach cluster work in a non tach 99 legacy?

I have a 99 legacy Brighton. I noticed while putting speakers in it that there is wiring for the tweeters, is there also wiring in the rear doors for speakers?, because it doesnt have rear speakers. Also is the wiring there for the tach on the inst. cluster, will a cluster with a tach plug and play? Thanks

Yes, tweeters and rear speakers will plug in. You will need to cut out the holes in the rear door panels and put on the speaker covers. I've done it, it takes careful work with a box cutter to get the holes right. Or, you could replace the whole door panel with one out of a donor car, but finding one with rear speakers and crank windows is harder.

A tach cluster will plug in, however your odometer milage will be wrong, you will need to get a milage certified sticker put on the door post and the car will be difficult to sell.

OR, you can take your cluster apart, and the donor cluster, and take out the blank tach hole cover and put the tach in. It's 3 screws through the PCB on the back that provide power, ground and signal to the tach. It's easy to do, nothing more than a phillips screwdriver required.

One note about working on the cluster... there's a switch on top of the steering column. You may not have noticed it. It turns on the parking lights. When you do bump it while working on the dash, don't come back saying there's an electrical problem and you can't turn off the lights.

I've de-Brightonized my dad's 95 legacy. Tach, tweeters, cd player, rear speakers, rear wiper, cruise control, outback struts, outback sized tires and alloy wheels, and a skidplate off of an older subaru. It all bolts in, plugs in, and works great.

I've de-Brightonized my dad's 95 legacy. Tach, tweeters, cd player, rear speakers, rear wiper, cruise control, outback struts, outback sized tires and alloy wheels, and a skidplate off of an older subaru. It all bolts in, plugs in, and works great.

Now this interests me. I have a 98 Brighton, and would like to know about adding cruise control. How did that go for you?

All the wires are there for cruise control. You need the pump, the actuator, the cable with nuts, the vacuum hoses and pipe that goes across the engine bay, the cruise control computer, the cruise control brake switch, the dash switch, and the steering wheel switch.

If you pull it all out of a donor car, you'll know where it goes back in to your car.