Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Try this

The Dude Abides

lifts need to be done using combo of blocks for the crossmemembers and longer struts, or blocks, or you just are eating axles like candy.

As long as you stay at 2" you should be fine, anything over that you run into problems...........

Jeff

Are you saying that would work for 3inches of lift :grin:

It might but your tires are going to look like this in the front \--/ and it will ware the hell out of them, you really need 15* angle inward to get your tired square to the ground..............

Jeff

the cheapest way, is to just cut the fenders for bigger tires. :)

the lift alone won't help with ground clearance...

I might be getting some used 27x8.50x14 bfg MTs I could sell.

:eek: But you want an arm and a leg for them :-\ Not saying you overcharge, just thats a expensive tire. Do i need to start a guido build thread.

Edited by The Dude Abides

the cheapest way, is to just cut the fenders for bigger tires. :)

the lift alone won't help with ground clearance...

I might be getting some used 27x8.50x14 bfg MTs I could sell.

I put 30's on my 82 Brat stock, this is the cheapest "lift" you can put on it. Like McBrat said you wont gain any ground clearance with a 4" or a 6" lift, your just able to get bigger tires on it with less cutting..........

Jeff

Don't lift the struts more than 2 inches without a body lift. I break axles and stub shafts driving on pavement with my combo of a 2" lift and 2wd struts in the rear (about 1 1/2" longer than 4wd struts)

thats good info.

thanks for the truth.

will save someone alot of money.

so far, best answer for bigger tires is cut the piss out of fenders to fit big tires.

also, staying on topic sort of, anyone who lifts a 1982-1987 BRAT with a 4" lift can only fit 3.5 inche bigger diameter tires than stock without cutting.

For more clearance, just fit 25.5 inch tires without lift, you get same results that a 4" lift gives you of 27.5" tires vs 23.5 sotck tires.

so. I love these types of threds. if you want bigger tires or lift, then get 1.75 inch taller tires and trim to clear, or get a 4" lift and get 3.5 inch taller tires.....there.

sorry to hijack ... was a ruf day

Edited by bheinen74

so, where did it come from? You just randomly guessed at some springs from some other cars and asked?

:-\ No i had read in the past here about useing accord springs up front and tempo springs in the back or vice versa to get an xtra inch of clearance.

And Markus56 that is exactly the answer i was looking for. Overstreaching the axels. Point taken and will purchase a proper lift when funds available. Thank you all for your imput.

You could ask Uberoo, I think that car that I picked up for Scott that Uberoo built had this set up on it, Or Scott might still have it, It just an Idea. If it is 1" that shouldnt hurt any thing, but you would only need it on the rear struts if that was the case, you could just use adjustable struts in the front and tighten the nuts up a bit to bring the front up. All said and done you could fit 27's or 195/75/14-205/70/14's on with very little trimming. Now I'm just rambling on but ask Uberoo or scott what is the deal with that old EJed Blue wagon that had that set up back in the day on it.

Jeff

:-\ No i had read in the past here about useing accord springs up front and tempo springs in the back or vice versa to get an xtra inch of clearance.

my point exactly. you've seen posts about it being done. and then you start a new thread asking if it's been done. :confused:

next time click "search", instead of "new thread". you know the search terms, and you know where to look......

my point exactly. you've seen posts about it being done. and then you start a new thread asking if it's been done. :confused:

next time click "search", instead of "new thread". you know the search terms, and you know where to look......

Yes sir i have seen posts about the accord, tempo springs but nothing about useing them with 2 inch lift blocks on the shocks. Only useing them buy them selves. A few who posted on here knew what i was talking about. Sheesh.

tempo springs, use the front springs from a ford tempo.I don't think engine really matters much because they all came with the same engine.It IS possible to use tempo springs as a 2" lift or there abouts on the front.I cut a whole coil off the top of them and that got me 1" of lift even with the EJ in there.

accord springs,use accord front springs off a car with an auto and AC.They go on the rear of a wagon,also giving about an inch of lift.

In theory you should be able to use the springs and a two inch lift to get 3" lift.Then run a 1" block under the engine/tranny and rear diff to make the angles more bearable.

with that extra lift it should be easier to fit some tires...

3" of suspension lift seems like it would eat axles like candy.like my 2" lifted EA81 is supposed to do...

In the Dudes defence, I too looked around at one point about using the combo of lift/and springs. No real info on it. So he didn't just start a thread that has been covered. He elaborated on a thread or two, and got the info he was looking for.

So, to make it clear what I'm saying.

Search was used, thus producing the spring types he was wondering about.

Search was used to look for the combo of lift and springs- no info was drumed up.

In turn he started new thread with a valid question.

:-p

*these are not facts, just opinion.

-Caleb

tempo springs, use the front springs from a ford tempo.I don't think engine really matters much because they all came with the same engine.It IS possible to use tempo springs as a 2" lift or there abouts on the front.I cut a whole coil off the top of them and that got me 1" of lift even with the EJ in there.

accord springs,use accord front springs off a car with an auto and AC.They go on the rear of a wagon,also giving about an inch of lift.

In theory you should be able to use the springs and a two inch lift to get 3" lift.Then run a 1" block under the engine/tranny and rear diff to make the angles more bearable.

with that extra lift it should be easier to fit some tires...

3" of suspension lift seems like it would eat axles like candy.like my 2" lifted EA81 is supposed to do...

See this part intriques me. Ive seen the plates made buy SJR and it doesnt seem to hard to configure up the rear mounting plate. And if all you need is a 1 inch block under the engine and tranny. Then wouldnt this truly be a viable option for a 3 inch lift. Possibly easier to install as well. Minus locateing and installing the tempo/accord springs of course.