Ultimate Subaru Message Board

melting hood scoop

So I am planning on installing an xt hood scoop on my 86 turbo wagon with topmount intercooler.

I have noticed that some of the xt hoodscoops have melted or warped in some cases.

What caused this? Engine overheating, idleing to long, turbo to hot.

I guess I want to know what type of temps the scoops can with stand before wasting time money ect putting one on.

Thanks

The scoops are supposed to direct air to the turbo. Theres a duct that sits above the turbo, but not attached to the hood. I would assume that if you were running the car hard, and when you stopped the car, extreme heat build up would rise and cause the hood scoop to melt.

no way an XT hoodsoop will do you any good. You need atleast a 2.5RS or WRX scoop. Otherwise you'll just be creating an interheater. Also the XT hoodscoop, just like the Legacy turbo scoop was never designed to force air around the turbo. Instead they act as chimneys when in traffic or parked, to allow smoldering hot air surrounding the turbo to vent up and out of the engine bay, in hopes of keeping underhood temps lower.

Mark,

Mike M I am planning on cutting down the scoop a little bit to get it to fit just inside the hood bulge.

LegacyT from what I have heard the wrx hood scopes aren't that good either. all the air gets pushed up to the rear of the intercooler and does nothing to cool the front part of the intercooler.

The reason I choose the xt scoop is ease of monting and all the wrx scoops I found were really expensive. I guess I will just have to give it a try and post back. I think you are right about the sitting in traffic part they would do good to let that hot air out.

I shot my air compressor at it and it did a pretty good job of catching most of the air? If that means anything.

Thanks for the replies