Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Delta Cams thread

I've searched, read, re-read, fell asleep and got lost again. I'm looking for information from those people that have had their cams regrinded by Delta Cams. I am seriously considering going with them since their price is so low. It would help wake up my XT6 since it absolutely falls on its face after 5600rpm based on some recent dyno runs.

I'm looking for:

1: How much you paid to get your cams done,

2: What car you got it done on,

3: Cam specs,

4: Time it took to receive your regrinded cams,

5: What power improvements (hp and/or torque) gains or loses have you observed, tested, and/or noticed.

Some or all of the above would be great. If you had these done on an XT6, I'm very interested on your results. If you guys/gals that have done this also recommend springs and such also, please let me/us know. I just figured one thread instead of a bunch spread out with cam info would be a good 'research' tool.

BTW: I have no idea what I am to tell the Delta Cam folks about the cam profile that I want. I know how much higher I'd like my powerband to be moved but I don't want it to affect emissions or idle to severely. I want it to be aggressive as possible within reason. I've never purchased cams before and I don't want to sound like an idiot when I call these folks.

All input is mucho appreciated. Thanks!

Cost: $130 + shipping for both cams

Car: ea82 carbed, otherwise stock internally

Specs: don't have the spec sheet here, but not radically different from stock. Stuff I remember is shorter overlap to bleed off less pressure, and I think later overall timing.

Time: If it weren't for problems with my credit card number and shipping information, they would have taken three days to get here (AK) after Delta received the cams.

Power gains: Dunno yet, they are going into the engine I am rebuilding right now. Delta says that they should increase hp and torque roughly 10% throughout the entire rpm range. No mention of shifting the powerband up or down.

Overall impression: They are really nice, helpful people that sell a good product as far as I can tell. We shall see what their cams do for my motor (I can't wait!).

I went through my local parts house, Bow Wow autoparts.

Got the cams for $140.

I ordered on Monday, they were ready to pick up Tuesday.

I'm fairly close to them though.

EA82T - .386 lift/260 duration *I believe* I'll double check tomorrow.

Haven't gotten the engine together and running yet... so we'll see.

1: How much you paid to get your cams done,

$120, shipped.

2: What car you got it done on,

My 1989 RX.

3: Cam specs,

Same as Tex. Ive got a scanned pic somewhere.

deltacam.jpg

4: Time it took to receive your regrinded cams,

Couple of days to get them back...once i sent them.

5: What power improvements (hp and/or torque) gains or loses have you observed, tested, and/or noticed.

Low end power, from idle to 2400, was decreased, turbo spooled INSTANTLY at anything above 2800. power was present from there until you decide to let off/shift. Meaing power to 7500+, i had it up that once...it pulled and pulled. But then again, maybe the low end was the same as stock cams, but it was so pale in gains compared to the high end. I went thru the gears so fast...5th was the only gear I stayed in long enough to take a breath!

I just got a set for my EA82T. Not in the motor yet but...

1 $135 shipped from WA to OR

2 EA82T to be swaped into my Brat

3 Same as Dennis ex244 and WJM

4 I sent mine in to regrind and it took about 5 days to get them back. They often have sets ground and ready to go so if you want to do a quick swap you can order the cams and send yours back latter like Dennis ex24 did. You could likely swap the cams in an afternoon if all went well and you got everything you need ready

5 not installed yet but I bet they add about 20hp to my work bench:-p

I believe it's Jerry that you talk to about the Subaru stuff. I bet they'll do any grind possible. I am not a cam tech kind of guy but he totally lost me when he was explaining what the regrind does for performance and especially how it is done without adding material to the cam. When I asked him if this would make my motor faster. He said yes. I said OK.

call them up, they are very nice folks

I just got off the phone with Scott at Delta Cams and well.......they don't have a grind for the 2.7ltr XT6. :( So, I'm going to send mine in either today or tomorrow and Scott is going to look over them and compare/see if anything is close to it as far as regrinds go. Scott stated they did the same thing with the EA82 cams and it just seems to work very well for the Subbies that use them. So......here goes nothing. :)

Oh...and the grind I am asking for is to improve my top end and/or the high rpm range (5400-6200rpm). According to my dyno runs, this is where the XT6 seems to fall flat on it's face.....badly. I don't need any more low end torque since I have FWD and all I'll have is BBQ tires everytime I'd moderately take off. Thanks guys! Keep the posts coming! ;)

with this cam, there are no extra mods needed. It woudl be good to replace the cam followers...but those are expensive, new, but easy to come by in junkyards. The cam has to seat anyhow, so why not seat it to an already seasoned follower? I had no problems with this.

Them darned chev-I and Ford and MO-par motors need some dang ole new stuff fer dem to werk rite.

Originally posted by robm

I am kind of curious about replacing the cam. Most other engines I am familiar with, require new lifters with a new cam. Is the Subaru an exception, or is this something the folks posting above haven't bothered to mention?

I know what you are saying Robm. The DeltaCams site recommends this with their new cam grinds. This concerns me as I have already spend $500+ on new lifters for my XT6 about a year or two ago and planned on never to do this again. Here's the link to the DeltaCams helpful tips section.

http://www.deltacam.com/tech.htm

"1. Always use new lifters when installing a new camshaft. The bottoms of the lifters are spherically convex ground, and the cam lobes are ground with taper. The mating of these two surfaces ensures that the lifter will rotate, thus reducing the chance of premature wear. If you install used lifters on a new or reground camshaft, early failure is almost certain."

That last part in bold is what bothered me. Everything on my XT6 is almost certain to fail. :-p Fortunately, it seems people here haven't had a lot (or any) problems with their new cam grind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't fit in the same category as there are no XT6 cam grinds available....yet. I just need balls big enough to be the guinea pig. *Thinking* ........*shaking*

Please excuse my ignorance as it is very abundant.

But all this talk of the camshaft lobe contacting the lifter has me at a loss.

Do you gentleman mean to say "valve lifter"

or more correctly "cam follower",

as I have never seen an EA82 engine where the camshaft lobe touches the "lifter"

The references to the EA81 - yes I believe they do touch.

The Will and the Snowman, address this fact.

The camshaft lobe does not contact the lifter.

The "generalized statement" from the website must be speaking of an in block type design. (as Will comiclly alludes to)

So do we have to change cam followers?

Exactly, on the engines I am familiar with, the part that touches the cam should be replaced with the cam. I am too new to these beasties to know what the cam/lifter/valve setup looks like, and since it is hydraulic and needs no adjustment, I may never have to find out!

Any good pictures or drawings of this arrangement on the web?

Originally posted by Skip

Please excuse my ignorance as it is very abundant.

But all this talk of the camshaft lobe contacting the lifter has me at a loss.

Do you gentleman mean to say "valve lifter"

or more correctly "cam follower",

as I have never seen an EA82 engine where the camshaft lobe touches the "lifter"

The references to the EA81 - yes I believe they do touch.

The Will and the Snowman, address this fact.

The camshaft lobe does not contact the lifter.

The "generalized statement" from the website must be speaking of an in block type design. (as Will comiclly alludes to)

So do we have to change cam followers?

Hey Skip,

I have no idea what I'm talking about. In the realm of valvetrains, lifters and cams all I'm capable of doing is quoting scary text. So I put it out there so I can learn something from the higher ups here. :cool:

Now to find a decent box so I can send out my cams. Thanks!

OK, i put 1000 miles, give or take aobut 50 on the RX with those Delat cams in, and re used old follower...there was no sign of any kind of abnormal wear...I WILL be re-installing these cams...into my daily driver, the 9.5:1 wagon. I guess we will find out when they fail. lol Oh, and I will use the followers that were in the RX what went with the cams.

Originally posted by Myxalplyx

I know what you are saying Robm. The DeltaCams site recommends this with their new cam grinds. This concerns me as I have already spend $500+ on new lifters for my XT6 about a year or two ago and planned on never to do this again. Here's the link to the DeltaCams helpful tips section.

Kevin, Lifters that run against the cam lobe should always be resurfaced or replaced, as in the EA81 engine. The followers that run against overhead camshafts should be inspected to make sure the following surface is free from wear.

The EA82 and EJ22 engines have nearly bullet proof cams and rockers and usually don't need replacing. We will inspect and resurface, if necessary, any rocker sent to us. Thanks, Jerry @ Delta Cams

"1. Always use new lifters when installing a new camshaft. The bottoms of the lifters are spherically convex ground, and the cam lobes are ground with taper. The mating of these two surfaces ensures that the lifter will rotate, thus reducing the chance of premature wear. If you install used lifters on a new or reground camshaft, early failure is almost certain."

That last part in bold is what bothered me. Everything on my XT6 is almost certain to fail. :-p Fortunately, it seems people here haven't had a lot (or any) problems with their new cam grind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't fit in the same category as there are no XT6 cam grinds available....yet. I just need balls big enough to be the guinea pig. *Thinking* ........*shaking*

Originally posted by Deltacam

Is this really Delta Camshaft (Scott)? Did you mean to post something?

I'm sending my 2.7ltr XT6 camshafts off today via UPS. A letter/note is inside. If you'd like to discuss further details, please give me a call at the number I provided inside the box. Thanks!

Edit: *Oops* I can't send it out today. Federal Holiday! Will send tomorrow.

Originally posted by Deltacam

Kevin, Lifters that run against the cam lobe should always be resurfaced or replaced, as in the EA81 engine. The followers that run against overhead camshafts should be inspected to make sure the following surface is free from wear.

The EA82 and EJ22 engines have nearly bullet proof cams and rockers and usually don't need replacing. We will inspect and resurface, if necessary, any rocker sent to us. Thanks, Jerry @ Delta Cams

That last part in bold is what bothered me. Everything on my XT6 is almost certain to fail. Fortunately, it seems people here haven't had a lot (or any) problems with their new cam grind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't fit in the same category as there are no XT6 cam grinds available....yet. I just need balls big enough to be the guinea pig. *Thinking* ........*shaking*

Scott of DeltaCams gave me a call yesterday. He stated that the XT6 cams can be regrounded and that it will not be a problem. He stated that it wouldn't affect the XT6s bottom end significantly but that the top end will be able to pull upwards to 7000rpm. :eek:

It'll cost $75.00 per cam. I believe Delta Camshaft is going to use the cam grind profile that they already have for the EA82 engines. Anyways, that's all the info I have for now.

Originally posted by crazyhorse

Did you see my post on XT6.net a while back? I had spoken with them a little over a month ago about doing my cams on the XT6. They're also taking a look at porting the heads a bit. :) John was my contact there, good and very knowledgable guy.

Yeah!

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1691&highlight=

I can't believe I forgot about that post. At the time I was all indecisive about what I wanted to get done. Looking forward to seeing how your headwork comes out. Reading about all the camshaft talk here got me all woozy. :)