Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'74 Sedan....my love affair had begun.

Well, I went to Milton, Florida today and purchased my 6th Subaru. It's a 1974 Sedan. The badging says GL.

The previous owner hated the green and so gave it a crappy paint in gray. I'm hoping to be able to paint it white. Maybe get the badges redone and do something about those hideous bumpers.

Also, anyone know where I can source some front seat belts? I seem to only have the buckles.

Here are some of the issues I've got with this car, in no particular order.

-floor pan is rusted where the seats bolt up.

-turn on the headlights and I don't have a single interior light.

-have no idea how to do high beam.

-paint is nasty

-i'll be needing some weatherstripping PRONTO!!!

-seats need recovering

-needs new carpet

-carb needs overhaul, accelerator pump leaking

-no brakes!! E-brake works awesome however

-have no idea what hardware i need to re-assemble wiper cowl, front grille, and headlight surrounds

-tires are dry-rotted.....but looking to buy some other 14" wheels from fellow member:-)

Pics soon to come.

Jose "DaBeagle"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to get some sort of "plan of attack" so that I can systematically fix the issues with the car.

For today I plan on working the carb. I have no idea what the timing should be and for that matter the valve lash.

I know I'll be needing a new clutch as the cable is at the last of it's adjustment.

Another thing I saw was the steering bellows boots are torn....easy fix there.

Jose

You'll do fine as long as you don't have great expectations of a full resto,'cause that'll never happen. So you keep that body style alive to the bst of your abilities and budget and enjoy it for a few year.

Here's some info for now. As springtime comes around I'll see what I have for you and Subarufreak for part you guys may need. He has my former '74 fourdoor.

floor pan is rusted where the seats bolt up. tear out that interior and start from metal.Hard work or money out of wallet , but don't bother with perfection - functionality - not sure about FL inspections so I can't tell you how far to go but as long as seatbelts are made to be there ans work you should be all set.

-turn on the headlights and I don't have a single interior light. Factory service manuals show up often. Don't go buying the 1st ones you see for $25+++ There's lots of them still out there and I can scan for you as needed. Just be a little patience because Windows Vista is different than the old so I had troubles and gave up last time I went to scan -1st time using Vista to scan. Wiring diagram coming sometime soon if you don't score. Even the Chiltons from back when have decent wiring d's. Those run from around $1 - 5 often. And I probably have one to just send - I know I do,just saw it in (ice cold) storage yesterday.

-have no idea how to do high beam. gently pull the turn signal lever toward you - or away ,can't recall right now

-paint is nasty money,time,or both

-i'll be needing some weatherstripping PRONTO!!! VERY tough to find so we've gotten a potential group buy thread going. Jump in and hopefully we get something going soon.

-seats need recovering don't bother with perfection,ain't happeneing unless you're the super lucky guy here Finding originals in top form is near impossible

-needs new carpet You can get those made too if you require something really close to original it shouldn't be too much

-carb needs overhaul, accelerator pump leaking plenty of carb kits out there . Acc. pump is often the culprit

-no brakes!! E-brake works awesome however plenty out there Those are front DRUMS however so those drums you should try to work with,but there's a few of those out there too

-have no idea what hardware i need to re-assemble wiper cowl, front grille, and headlight surrounds easy enough,we'll get you there -needs screws,not a big problem

-tires are dry-rotted.....but looking to buy some other 14" wheels from fellow member:-) Car came with 13" and I personally wouldn't bother trying to go 14" for any reason.

Let me check your other post and add on if needed.....

Also, anyone know where I can source some front seat belts? I seem to only have the buckles.

Should have something up here,but no promises and I need warm weather before I even start to find out.

I have no idea what the timing should be and for that matter the valve lash.

Hang tight,you'll have a manual soon enough.

[quoteI know I'll be needing a new clutch as the cable is at the last of it's adjustment.

Another thing I saw was the steering bellows boots are torn....easy fix there.

]

Clutch kits on eBay, generic steering bellows are good enough. No need for factory on these.

With the tools and parts I see on the floor of your garage I think you'll be fine. :)

What's your 2 wheeler? Looks like you have a nice place from the pics!

Enjoy!

Nice to see you picked it up, and even has an A/C setup!. Hopefully you can hold to your plan of attack better than I did. I started with the intent of fixing the car in stages, but one thing (rust) led to another (more rust) and next thing I know, it's in pieces! :lol: Like Moosens said, check fleabay for the mechanical bit as there is a fair bit on there and most of it is cheap. I think I paid $35 for a brand new clutch disc/pressure plate. Another good source is Rock Auto. They always seem to have stuff on clearance for dirt cheap prices. Just need to check every once in a while. A source for "junkyard" parts is car-part.com. I know I have the front retractors for the seat belts if Paul doesn't. If they will cross over (they should, but not sure) I do have a front disc setup on my coupe parts car you could use to upgrade. I'm pretty sure the calipers need rebuild or worse case, use as cores for new ones. PM me if this is something you may want to do. Finally, I see leathers and number plates in the background. You a fellow knee dragger?

Mark

Yeah man,we wanna hear about the 2wheel action. :grin:

Here's a decent deal on a FSM. He also has the body section too,maybe make an offer for the whole deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Service-Manual-1974-Engine1400-Sedan-Wagon-Coupe_W0QQitemZ120515840521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Manuals_Literature?hash=item1c0f4dca09

Get to those front drums yet? Wheel cylinders are often found too. Fronts I think are a little larger than the rears.Should be. I actually have some NOS that there might be doubles of. I'd like to take care of Subarufreak first,or my own coming projects :grin:

Actually, I miss my previous litre bike '04 ZX-10R....now...a WR250X. I'd really like to see about selling it to fund this project. Before the Kawi..I had a RC51. Miss that one too.

On the front disc conversion.....I'm in. I'm a little worried about driving a car with drum front.

Seatbelts....whatever I can find that will keep me in there.

I rebuilt the carb today....good news and bad. Two or three of the screws holding the top plate are stripped. NOT GOOD. Accel pump still leaks, not sure why.

Car is now leaking coolant from driver side if ran for any length of time.

Driver front brake drum is rusty, doesn't seem to be working at all. I'll bleed brakes with fresh fluid later...too cold.

I've contacted the seller of those ebay items....that would help tremendously.

On the front disc conversion.....I'm in. I'm a little worried about driving a car with drum front.

Driver front brake drum is rusty, doesn't seem to be working at all. I'll bleed brakes with fresh fluid later...too cold.

On my 1974 1400 DL I still using drum brakes on the front.

No problems... Just have to apply a little more pressure to the pedal since theres no brake booster.

It stops fine..

In fact ive had been using it ( up till about 3 weeks ago when I got my Legacy ) to travel up and down quite steep hills for the last 12 months every day.

Do post some photos please....Curious to see what a running/driveable one looks like.

I'm really amazed at the work that I'll have to do. I still have to sit down and plan this rebuild accordingly.

I really just want to be able to drive around that is it. I'll paint it and go to some shows. Nothing crazy.

For now, the brakes and fuel delivery/valve lash/timing issue is what I want resolved. The exhaust manifold is leaking.....need to find some gaskets for that.

Lighting issue will be looked into after I get her running right.

Oh, anyone know where I can get a full engine gasket kit? I'd really like to freshen up the motor.

Jose

Hey,

The gasket sets are available from ebay, I think. Possibly not a "complete" set tho.

Two different Subaru engines I've worked on had basically, .006 and .010 for valve lash...but you'll want to check.

Someone here HAS to have one of those carbs lying around. Or 4.

Doug

That would be great......ebay.au has Weber all over the place but pricey.

having the valve lash would be nice, although I have yet to look at the underhood sticker. I know that older Honda's had them on the emissions sticker.

Going to the salvage yard tomorrow...there's an 80's wagon there..maybe the front discs will work? Um, not sure what else I may be able to retrofit to newer.

I'll take some pics of the wagon at the salvage yard....maybe someone else here could use something.

Jose

Hey paco,

Here are three gasket sets. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1400-DL-GF-GL-New-Head-Gasket-Set-09-11302_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4838ef0ac5QQitemZ310192835269QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The guys here can fill you in on it, but these sets don't contain the rings, (or whatever they are called) for the cylinder liners.

Take a look through the Subaru section of that store.

Doug

If I remember corectly the 80's front spindals have the ball joint in them and they go into the control arm, where as the 70's the ball joint is in the control arm and goes into the spindal. So your gonna need a front disk set up from a gen 1 Suby. I just plan on swapping the spindals off one of my BRATs for now becouse i know i had just put new brakes on it when i was driving it.

When i pulled the master off my 74 it was bone dry, so i have to assume the wheels cylinders are junk. I plan on sticking a 90,s Legacy master in it also due to the fact they are alot easier to find and should be alot more reliable.

Still figuring out how to do the rear disk set up......Yes i loath drum brakes.

Do post some photos please....Curious to see what a running/driveable one looks like.

I'm really amazed at the work that I'll have to do. I still have to sit down and plan this rebuild accordingly.

I really just want to be able to drive around that is it. I'll paint it and go to some shows. Nothing crazy.

Jose

Heres a few pics.. My one is fully original.

These pics were taken when I gave it a good polish and clean.

Sadley it does look quite as good as I had the wheel fall off and do some damage to the guard and squashed the hub cap.

DL1.jpg

DL5.jpg

DL2.jpg

Picture8248.jpg

DL3.jpg

Picture8246.jpg

Edited by kiwi subbie

That's one clean car Kiwi, especially the interior! Paco, set your valves to .011-.013 on the intake and exhaust with a cold engine. I got one of those eBay gasket sets. Not a bad deal, but I would be a little leery of using those head gaskets. Subafreak, if you do go 4 wheel disc, or even swap just the fronts, you will want to upgrade the master/porportioning valve to one that matches the system you install. Discs pump more fluid volume and need a larger bore than the drum master can provide. The drum one will technically work, but you will end up having to pump the brakes to get the pedal up.

Mark

this isnt from Nelson is it?

seen a very tidy one when i was up there on holiday...quite unlikely there are 2 in NZ...i haven't seen any older subies for ages...

Nope not nelson... Ive seen another in chch but it was fearly ruff...

Then a year later I think I saw it in the wreakers yard... tryed to save it but when I did it was long gone.. unknow if it was scrapped.

Saying that about 18 months or so ago I drove my yellow GSR thru nelson

That's one clean car Kiwi, especially the interior!

Mark

Thanks.

heres a vid of my 1400 engine

Also ive got some short vids of my GSR on there too.

I need to get back to restoring the GSR but got a few bills I need to pay off and need to restore the fuji rabbit 1st.