Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Official 'Christening' of "Waterwagon 3"

Ratty2Austin

6 years ago on V-day, a few of us went to Long Beach, WA.. and had some fun on the beach.. it was a rainy day, and I had just a plain old 1980 GL-1600, with an ea81 and a 4spd D/R..... this wagon had taken a little stroll on the beach, and I drove it into the water- quite the splash-fest too! It had later been modified with an Ej22, 5spd d/r, lift kit and a snorkel...

Waterwagon 1- back in the day....

86053512_pz4QQ-M.jpg

Waterwagon 2.... (not the same story) but it did end up getting a Ej22 hack-job, and a OB strut lift and some awesome bumpers, and of course, the snorkel!

790402899_PjMp2-M.jpg

This V-day, 6 years later, my current wagon made the same journey to Long Beach, and I also took it for a little swim in the Pacific Ocean! (to kick off it's life as Waterwagon 3!)

790386151_iYAXL-M.jpg

790398268_F4AaZ-M.jpg

More adventures to follow soon!

Edited by Ratty2Austin

Good to see you back building fun and Water oriented subaru's, :) Hope its as cool as the others!!!

Jeff

Thanks!

Hopefully, yes... it would seem that each time I build a 'wheeler, I get better at it, at least in the department of functional/quality... since I learn from the previous projects, I know what little things I could do better on the next ones...

besides general maintenance, (which this one needs a bunch very soon)

I am hoping to give this one the OB strut lift, probably the same tires my previous WW's have had (27" BFG A/T) but this one, I hope to get an actual lift kit of some sort, and converting it to a D/R part-time 4wd tranny... (yeah, EA-EJ back-wards swap time!)

oh, and of course, a better looking, water-tight, snorkel!

My biggest problem at the moment right now though, is money.. of course, I would love to do some wheelin' and dealin' (car parts sell/swap, or fixing cars for moola, of course!) to get the parts I need to make this happen..

hopefully I can figure my job shortage out so I can afford to get the parts to make this happen!

Woot!

Monica and I took the Forester to Long Beach Vday weekend as well. Surprised we didn't see you... but your current Waterwagon is pretty bland.

Needs camo, or pink wheels or something!

I did see a Forester parked facing the water, down near the south end of the beach... could that have been you? hmm.... lol

As for salt water and rust, this wagon was an east-coast, AND midwest car, before it ended up here.. don't worry.. I am not adding much to what is already there.... :lol: besides, most of the "damage" is going to get cleaned up when the lift kit, or new parts go into it.. (either that, or I will just destroy it before the rust can...)

I have a few photos... not much yet of the actual research of the wagon, but some from the initial trip up and parts scrounging for the build up!

the trip up.... (note my new mirror... the first mod!)

795038262_aY25N-M.jpg

my first task was to source some parts... (not parts for my car, but for a pattern of sorts, "research tools")

795037877_gFGBb-M.jpg

Scott and I made short work of this wagon...

795016609_nFXw9-M.jpg

Tomorrow I will be heading to the Pull-a-part(s) to gather remaining parts that I am hoping to find (5spd D/R, EA82 flywheel+clutch in good shape) and OBW struts..... Then hopefully (if Scott is available, back to B-ham to get some more stuff done.... )

What could you possibly be building that you would need the entire front clip + doors as templates?

Are you building something like this?

two-ended-car-activity.jpg

Hehe.. not quite, although that is interesting! and if I had more time/money, I would be tempted to use the butt of that legacy to make a trailer/or limo wagon... but alas, that is not the project we needed this front-chunk of car for.

So you know what kind of car this is off of, do you know what is going on here? :)

796191811_5Ebui-M.jpg

I am going to begin the new Waterwagon 3 Build-up/SJR+EJ Lift thread, link here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=905144

Edited by Ratty2Austin

Austin,

Sorry to inform you that ww1 is no more. Would you like to see pics of its demise?

I warn you they are graphic.

It's ok, I can take it.. besides, you already told me it was doomed... so please post the pics here! Guess people should know what happened to the legend that was, Waterwagon 1