Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone used a tow bar on a Subaru??

I used Mick's towbar to get my 83 Wagon home from WA state to IA. Used a U-Haul thru the mtns, and my 90 Legacy on the flat land from Rapid City to NW Iowa. Later finished the voyage from there to Eastern Ia with a pickup. The towbar was excellent.

I have also borrowed it on other occasions to get my Brat around and Mick and I have both had instances where we broke the front towhook off cars and couldnt use the towbar anymore. This is usually caused by turning too tight or a rusty front end.

If you have a really roadworthy solid car and a manual trans in it, go for it.

I don't see any reason not to do it and would do it again but be prepared for the worst (having to rent a dolly). Definately use some safety chains too.

Turning was the only thing I didnt like, and you cant back up either (so they say...I did it a cpl times without problem).

Chris, I rent a tow dolly anytime I need to tow a car... Works great even when being pulled by a 6cyl. truck...

If you do rent a tow dolly get one that has a swivel base, makes it easier for turning....... I think all the new ones and the ones U-Haul rent are all swivel base tow dolly's.... Your wagon will be safe and sound... Joe

yes my dad and friends of the family use a "tow master" i believe to tow behind there motorhomes.

but god awfully expensive. complained to my dad for spending more on a tow bar than the car itself. maybe i should just shut up... cause i think i just put my own foot in my mouth...

i myself havent, but my grandfather has, he used to tow his 80 brat and his 86 GL wagon all acrost the west coast, washingon to cali, to arizona, and back MANY TIMES. never had a problem, im actually gettin his settup from him since he gave me his brat, and his wagon was rolled by my uncle,

moose VS GL wagon, lets just say the moose won.

The previous owner of my 81 DL wagon towed it behind an RV most of it's life. It still had the mounting brackets on the bumper when I bought it. These were basically L shaped brackets bolted directly to the face of the bumper. I've still got them if you're interested.

Hey NikFu, its in my sig. Its my 84 D/R wagon. Can someone explain to me why I have to disconnect the rear drivetrain from the transmission?? I don't want to know what happened to someone else, I want to know WHY. Isn't from the driveshaft back disconnected when the car is in 2WD?? I too have heard to remove the drieshaft or rear axles, but I'd like to know why? Isn't it like coasting down the road in 2WD??

Chris

why can't you run with 4 wheels on the ground? exactly what was said in the previous post.... the rest of the gears arent spinning in the tranny.. just the driveshaft, and stubshaft coming out of the back of the tranny.. tow it for a few hundy miles and tell me how hot its gonna get.. where the gear is, isnt high enough to spin oil up from the bottom of the tranny to the gear thats spinning..

this is why you disconnect the driveshaft if your going to tow with all 4 on the ground