Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brat years?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jake DMC

Jake DMC

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Chelan

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Ok I am a little new to brats, just picked up my 1st, anyway. I have been searching the interweb looking at different brats for insperation and ideas and when looking at photos of 1978-1979 brats some have 2 headlights and some have 4. Mine is a 79 and has 2 headlights. Am I mistaken or did the 4 light set up come in 1980? Did Subaru make both during these years or do the people on cardomain, and other sites not know what year they have?
Confused... -Jake

#2 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

the 2 and 4 headlight configurations were available on all the years of the Gen 1's, from 78-81. Typically, the 2 headlights meant it was a DL, and 4 lights meant GL. All Gen 1 Brats have the wiring for the 4 headlight setup though, on the DL's there is just an extra headlight plug dangling behind the grill.

-Bill

#3 Jake DMC

Jake DMC

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Chelan

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Cool.... That explains it. Thanks
-Jake

#4 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:12 AM

So I know that in 81, the GL package got you dual range four wheel drive. What did it provide in the other first gen Brats?

#5 MAD MAX

MAD MAX

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:14 AM

79-80 got the single range 4wd

#6 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

So the DL model in those years was simply front wheel drive?

#7 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

No, ALL Brats came with selectable 4wd, there was never a purely FWD Brat sold in the US, or anywhere else I can think of. In 1981 the GL Brat has Hi-Lo while the DL had just single range 4wd. The GL package for 78-80 basically meant you could get a tachometer, 2 tone plaid/vinyl seats, sliding rear window, and etc. Of course you could order all that on a DL as well.

You could choose 2 or 4 headlights, tachometer or no tach, AC (pretty rare), sliding rear window, blackm silver, or wood grain dash inserts, 2 tone seats, stuff like that was available on all of them.

Im curious to know if the 1bbl Carter/Weber carb we all hate more than the Hitachi 2bbl was a feature on the DL only, or if it was an economy option or something...

Ive seen 81 Brats with both single and dual headlight setups that both had D/R, so just because the grille is a DL grill doesnt always mean the car is a DL, it must have just been an option. Ive heard that there was a 3rd eye available on the 80-81 Brats as well, IIRC I think Ive seen pics of one, but thats it. If it exists, its rare indeed.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive, 10 March 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#8 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

in the UK, the "Shifter" was available, and it was strictly front wheel drive...

for all your BRAT reading pleasure, click the "Subaru's of the 80's" link up above,..

#9 Don_Quixpunch

Don_Quixpunch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

So I take it the factory A/C in my 81 GL is something special that should be preserved?

#10 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

So I take it the factory A/C in my 81 GL is something special that should be preserved?

Yes.
And if you don't want it I'm sure another member would be willing to take it off
your hands.

Twitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users