Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Leone Coupe

Hello,

I bought last weekend a 1977 Subaru Leone Typ A220. Does anybody know what for a spec this car is? First sold was in Netherland. Who has a car with this front and the number plate over the rear bumper?

show_img.php?img=53918d-1266844254.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=907cd0-1266844313.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=84d141-1266844368.jpg&size=thumb

regards

Arno

WOW!:slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber:

I am green with envy. I've seen a couple of these here in NZ but they are nowhere near as eye wateringly beautiful as yours. Looks in fabulous condition too.

I'm so jealous I feel sick.

I'm guessing its a 1400cc tiwn carb. EA62? Check the number on the engine.

Edited by Dirk

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for your compliment. I will check the engine number when i get the car. We have wintertime and to much salt on the street, so i wait 2 or 3 weeks before i pick up the car. But i have a pic from the engine and i send this later when i´m at home. Maybe you can say what for a engine the car has.

Is my first Subaru. :)

regards

Arno

Diffinately twin carb model. Probably EA62s Maybe Ea71. Either way you got yourself a sporty little number there. Your gonna have a lot of fun.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!:banana:

We expect lots more pictures as soon as you take delivery!

I recommend you get this book. It is in my opinion the best worshop manual.

http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Subaru-1100-1300-Manual/dp/0856967297/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266874460&sr=1-3

There is also a manual online here somewhere by Larry Owens 'Keeping your Subaru alive' It is also an excellent reference book.

Courtesy of Mr Baccaruder. http://www.worldwidecm.com/HTKYSA.pdf (right-click & save to conserve bandwidth!)

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk

Hello,

Many thanks for the tips. I need yours good ideas, because it is my first Subaru. The last 26 years i drive Toyota. I think it´s a little bit difficult to get parts for the Subaru.Does anybody knows a car that looks like my Subaru? Here some datas from the car: Build 1977, 1400ccm,5 speed, 66000 km,

show_img.php?img=7764a0-1266909991.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=1a9a89-1266910420.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=3f174d-1266910633.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=a3e58f-1266910668.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=769a61-1266910703.jpg&size=thumb

show_img.php?img=388549-1266910872.jpg&size=thumb

regards

Arno

This is my 1979 sedan.

19.jpg

A friend of mine has a couple of your model and year but in a very bad state. I'll take some pictures next time I see him.

1400cc? I guess then it is an EA63 engine (twin carb and dual exhaust ports on the heads)

Looks a very tidy car. Interior looks good too. Seats still in one piece. You are right about parts being hard to find for this. You must have one of very few left out there.

May I ask how much you paid for it?

Hello Dirk,

I know the car has on the rear left -and right side a exhaust. I look to the engine when i pick up the car. What is the diameter from the wheels. 4x120 ?

You car looks nice and rust free. Is it also a front wheel drive ?

I pay for the car 3500 Euro.

regards

Arno

I think that is a fair price for a classic car. Yes, mine is also front wheel drive. If you are asking about wheel stud pattern, I'm not sure exactly but I know that it is unique to Subaru. I think some Peugeot wheels also fit.

Same engine/fuel delivery as a GSR from Austrailia,Japan .... not sure where else? Very few of those left too.

Can you post pictures without those advertisments? The ad screen goes black and blocks the pictures.

So that looks to be around $4,000 USD ... not bad to me!

The body,interior,and most of the car matches up to many still out there. Check Isreal for the closest to you if parts are needed.

Our former '76 sedan is now at a dealer in Sweden,restored with around 37,000 miles on it. Sweden didn't get Subarus untill around 1982,so the buyer told me.

All sedans and coupes of the bodystyle will be FWD only. That's the case here and as far as I know all over the world as well.

All sedans and coupes of the bodystyle will be FWD only. That's the case here and as far as I know all over the world as well.

Do you remember that old Japanese 1970s flick with the two 1600s in it.

One was chasing the other.

One was a coupe, but the other was a sedan and that was 4WD.

It showed him put it in 4WD so he could keep up with the other guy.

Eventually the guy in the 4WD rammed the other guy and he drove off the side of the road.

Maybe the Japanese market got some oddball 4wd sedan?

Do you remember that old Japanese 1970s flick with the two 1600s in it.

One was chasing the other.

One was a coupe, but the other was a sedan and that was 4WD.

It showed him put it in 4WD so he could keep up with the other guy.

Eventually the guy in the 4WD rammed the other guy and he drove off the side of the road.

Maybe the Japanese market got some oddball 4wd sedan?

Yeah, Tom uploaded that on the OT. Very funny scene. Could just be poetic licence.

Hello,

I will send more pics when i pick up the car. I find a very good site from the Leone but my model is not there.

Here the Link:

http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/A%20leone/A-type%20leone.html

regards

Arno

Arno that is a fantastic site you have provided! Great sales brochure photos.

I was not aware of any hardtops built with the 1400 EA63 engine in 1977 so perhaps this was built by Subaru specifically for your market? Perhaps there were tax concessions for the smaller engine?

So has anyone actually seen one of these unicorn 4WD 70's sedans?

Wondering how many they actually made and what market(s) they were in.

OK,I gave in and watched the movie. Pretty funny to watch that chase scene.

Was that a fiberglass fender on the white car? I have one,maybe two,can't rememebr if I ever got the other side. I'll need to go back and hit pause sometime to get some ideas transposed to my own cars. You can tell the red one if 4WD from the stance and when he throws it in reverse - that sound.

Edited by moosens