Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo, Rebuild or Repalce with stock WRX turbo????

our stock turbos start boosting at 2600, i think that the tdo4 would make our engines like the EJ205 in the WRXs...spooling at 3000. High end will still suffer due to the restrictive crossover pipe, and unless you use a really good turbo back for the td04. Also, stock cams will also make the high end suffer.

We'll see what happens with the TDO4 and spooling. I'm going to start with the stock exhaust, cross-over, down pipe, uppipe etc.

Eventually, I'll get these restrictive things replaced with custom "garner-built" super exhaust. I love the techwerks crossover but pretty $$$. I might try to make something like this or perhaps, not so equal length but of better geometry.

The important thing is I won't feel too bad with some WRX emblems on my Brat:D

I'll keep you all posted

The td04 will do just fine. I think it depends on how much boost you run. IE... if you run 8psi it will hit peak boost faster. With an electronic boost controller (like the apexi AVC-r) you can control boost an insane amount. Thus modulating the wastegate to get higher boost and lower rpm.

I accept the fact that with a bigger more flowing turbo you will spool slower. First we'll get the turbo in, and the car running. Then, we'll see about lowering the spool time. I'm not expecting it to be too bad.

For the crossover pipe... its important to keep good velocity. We can open it up all we want, but if its too open, by the time it hits the turbo it won't have any oomph. Thats why i'm staying with the stock *restrictive* header. Keeps the velocities up, and hopefully help that pig of a turbo (td04) spool quicker.

hey tex,

what do you think about using the stock diameter but just improving the flow a bit by having the two primaries merge into the turbo rather than having one just tee into the other.

I love that equal length deal that techworkseng has made but I still am not convinced equal length is worth the effort. For a home builder, it would a pretty tough build. It seems like just making the geometry of the "stock design" a little smother, and opening up the exhaust side, one could get the TDO4 up to speed a little quicker...