Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a Listen

Flow

Rebuilt my ea-82 and stuffed it back in with the webber on it. Fired it up and it sounds terrible. I expected noisy lifters but this sounds far more serious. The audio on my camera tones it down some, it's really loud. Hoping someone could listen to this and give ideas as to what I did wrong. Click the link then right click on the movie thumb and "save target as" Thanks.

http://usmb.net/gallery/Flow?page=2

Yeah it's so loud and nasty sounding that I didn't want to let it get up to operating Temp so I could time it and adjust the carb. Oil pressure is at 45 lbs. Think I could have plugged a vital oil passage with the ultra gray block sealer? I took the lifters apart for cleaning so I'm sure they're full of air but they wouldn't sound like that would they? Any Ideas?

I have heard a vavle stick on a rebuilt ea82. It sounded just like it was a rod. Started it up the next day and it was gone. But your engine sounds like every lifter is ticking if it was idling. What rpm was the recording at? The lifters will tick for a while when you first start it up if they are full of air. If its just the lifters I wouldn't worry about it. They should quiet down. It won't do any harm. Did you plastigauge the bearings?

It was about 1200 rpm when I recorded it. I had the crank ground 10/10. The plastigage was showing that I was still in spec but pretty close to the outside limit. Are there different specs for undersized bearings? All I had was the crummy haynes manual to go off. Could bearings produce noise like that? It makes a real loud metallic chirping sound when you open the throttle.

that file sounds like a engine with new heads(or a new headgasket job and has grease on the rocker arms and cam serfaces to serve till the oil PSI is properly coating it all.

reason for saying this?

IT's what mine have all sounded like till the Moly-B grease I coated the surfaces with would wash off and tthen it's get all quiet and smooth sounding.....

just my experience thats all.