Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej 253 advice please (2005 legacy i)

I am about to do a timing belt and water pump on a 05 legacy non turbo.

According to the wikipedia article, this model has the ej 253 engine, sohc

The car has 104,000 miles. I have a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and oil filter. I do not have the idlers due to costs.

How long do you think the water pump will be good for if i left it be? i know itbreaks the rules for routine service, but the car has low enough miles to just need a belt, for sake of cost. I do have the water pump already, and was assumed to install one.

I am used to an ej25d, but have never touched an ej253.

i am not sure if i got the correct belt after researching this model. i assumed a dohc, but ordered for a 2005. what clue can i use to determine i have the right belt by visual inspection?

Also, i thought i cought a whiff of collant when i opened the hood. How prone are these to head gasket failure, and where should i expect to find seepage or leak on the outside of the heads?

thanks in advance

I have seen some water pumps survive on those up to around 200,000 miles. Also do the timing belt on that engine just like doing an ej22. They aren't too prone to head gasket failure compared to the ej251. They do quite well if you put some coolant conditioner in the system and keep the coolant fresh.

as far as timing components the motors you're talking about don't have any significant differences. same basic set up and mileages.

DOHC engines weren't produced after 2000 so if you ordered a 2005 then you should not have gotten a DOHC belt. 1996-1999 (depending on model) is DOHC. 2000+ is SOHC. 99 was the only year both were offered in different models.

So again - if you ordered 2005 there's no way you should have gotten a DOHC belt for an NA SOHC EJ25.

EJ water pumps are fairly robust. If it's in good condition and being so new then i'd have no problem leaving the original water pump. I'd probably recommend doing the next timing belt early - like 175,000 or 180,000 to be safe and give a chance to inspect the water pump, tensioner, and idlers.

That being said a new pump isn't a terrible idea. You're preventing like 0.05% risk, there's no way to quantify whether you should do that or not in terms of black and white.

If it's leaking coolant it's probably an external slow seaping out the rear of the block, look at it's back side for sides of very slow leaking.

i have a belt NAPA # 250328

here are the specs:

Attributes

# of Teeth : 281

Material : HSN (Highly Saturated Nitrile)

Pitch (in) : .315"

Pitch (mm) : 8 mm

Pitch Length (in) : 88.504"

Pitch Length (mm) : 2248 mm

Profile Type : Modified Curvilinear (III)

Timing Marks : Yes

Top Color : Black

Top Width (in) : 1.142"

Top Width (mm) : 29 mm

my 'customer' decided to forgo the water pump for now, he wants to hold off on his $$$ for a cv axle that is going bad.

I suggested to let the water pump ride and re-inspect everything at 150,000 miles

are these belt dimensions right for a sohc?

I believe i do in fact have the wrong belt. The NAPA website is howign this for sohc

i better go look under the hood to make sure....

Attributes

# of Teeth : 223

Material : HSN (Highly Saturated Nitrile)

Pitch (in) : .315"

Pitch (mm) : 8 mm

Pitch Length (in) : 70.236"

Pitch Length (mm) : 1784 mm

Profile Type : Curvilinear (II)

Timing Marks : Yes

Top Color : Black

Top Width (in) : 1.063"

Top Width (mm) : 27 mm

Material Safety Data Sheet

Rubber Belt

Application Information:

2005 Subaru Legacy

Engines : 2.5 L 2457 CC H4 SOHC 16 Valve

Comments: Interference Engine

Per Car Qty: 1

I went back to napa and exhcnaged the belt for the proper one. I returned the water pump, and the cam seals were wrong, returning them.

Just doing the belt, thermostat, and new coolant with 'napa kool' conditioner.

Took the parts bill from near 200 down to 80 bucks including 5 qts of oil and the coolant

this saves my dude 100 bucks in parts, and i'll knock down my labor rate for him.

now here i go to work on the car....