Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL (+ others) - Turn signal relay override

esdjr

Just joined USMB. Son and I have made many mods to the '86 GL 2.2L 4WD, figured I'd start throwing some of the stuff out there, as well as see what I could learn from others. Hope this is the right post!

One of the mods was replacing some of the turn indicators with LED modules (custom front tube bumper). This contributed to the changing of the blinker timing for the turn signal. It blinked so fast it was annoying, and lights were on barely long enough to be visible.

Just got through reverse engineering the logic on the PCB to determine where/how to mod it to change the timing. After all that work, I decided to just override the circuit and add a standard 2-pin flasher module. Should take about 2 hours from start to finish, depending upon your mechanic and wiring/soldering skills. I have created a schematic showing circuit and instructions on where/how to make mods. There are some unknown part types/values on the schematic - maybe someone out there has more detailed info on the parts so I can update schematic?

I'll happily send a .pdf to anyone that would like the info.

You could just add a resistor before the blinker...that would slow down the blinking and make it visible. I dunno what size off the top of my head, but it probably wouldn't be too tough to figure out either.

+1

I am guessing 5 to 10 ohms.......5 watt resitor should do the trick.

Just joined USMB. Son and I have made many mods to the '86 GL 2.2L 4WD, figured I'd start throwing some of the stuff out there, as well as see what I could learn from others. Hope this is the right post!

One of the mods was replacing some of the turn indicators with LED modules (custom front tube bumper). This contributed to the changing of the blinker timing for the turn signal. It blinked so fast it was annoying, and lights were on barely long enough to be visible.

Just got through reverse engineering the logic on the PCB to determine where/how to mod it to change the timing. After all that work, I decided to just override the circuit and add a standard 2-pin flasher module. Should take about 2 hours from start to finish, depending upon your mechanic and wiring/soldering skills. I have created a schematic showing circuit and instructions on where/how to make mods. There are some unknown part types/values on the schematic - maybe someone out there has more detailed info on the parts so I can update schematic?

I'll happily send a .pdf to anyone that would like the info.

hi,

i thought modern led lights operate on less than 12v .

hi,

i thought modern led lights operate on less than 12v .

Some can.

But all the ones bought from Auto parts stores as vehicle lights are set to use 12v +.

Problem is, they only use like .003 watts or some crazy low amount. Not engough of a draw to load up the Flasher relay properly.....makes it flash very fast like when you blow a bulb.

That's why I suggested a resistor......something to act as a load against the flasher to slow it down.

5 ohm may even be too much.....maybe 3 or even less....but as long as it's a 5 watt it should do the trick.

Thanks all for your input.

I need to shed a bit more 'light' on the issue. My son had originally put LED lamps on the new bumper and I had swapped them out some time ago with single incandescent lamps. Still had the 'fast flash' issue - could be that the bulbs weren't as hefty as the stock bulbs, not sure.

One of the lamps went kaput recently (yeah, left flash a bit faster) and when I went to the auto store to get it's replacement, they mentioned having to use a resistor as well. I'll keep that tidbit tucked away for a future project.

Call me old-fashioned but I just like a good steady (slower!) flash that the heavy-duty bi-metal flashers produce. I just have to check for bulb failure the 'old-fashioned' way - or let my local law inforcment point it out!

I haven't spent much time on message boards and I don't see a convenient way to attach the pdf file, so I'll send it and pics via e-mail. Just drop me a line at esdjr@live.com