Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Radio in 2009 Impreza Sport Wagon

I'm installing an after market radio in my GF's Impreza. Can anyone help with removing the old one? The plastic bezel around the radio looks expensive to replace Thanks.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on HD radio? Is worth the extra expense? Some posters complain about reception problems with HD radio.

Thanks.

Check for a couple of screws at the bottom of the dash bezel. Aside from that, it just pulls out, if I recall correctly.

As for HD radio, it really depends on where you are. HD radio is a digital radio signal just like Satellite radio. That means that you either get all or nothing. Where I live, that just means you get nothing. It has all of the disadvantages of both terrestrial and satellite radio systems. Having said that, I suspect that as long as you are in a major metropolitan market and are not inside a parking garage or something, it should work just fine.

If it is like the 06 Impreza I had, you pull off the trim piece and the radio will have screws holding it in. Unscrew those and it slides right out.

I did have a HD radio in that car and it worked really well in the greater Seattle area. There are a few dead spots but it even worked well in Bremerton (above posters general area). FM radio is funny. I live 35 miles from Seattle and yet the stations come in better than when I am driving around downtown Seattle. The location of the transmitter towers and terrain have more to do with getting the HD signal.

Definitely worth the cost if you have the stations in the area. The sound is much better than sat.

I've had HD radio in my Subaru for about 5 years. The sound is noticeably better than standard FM. Signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, channel separation are all improved. I liked it so much I bought an HD tuner for my home too. No reception trouble throughout the Seattle area. I live about 30 miles south east of the city. A plus is many stations have additional content on sub channels. Also you get text info like station call letters & show name. For music they can send the artist and track information. I agree it's worth the cost if you're area has the stations.

Check here

(http://www.hdradio.com/find_an_hd_digital_radio_station.php)

I think HD radio is going to grow; for instance the new zune players have built in HD radios.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Mark-O-Back
Zune not ipod for HD