Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have found out the my great mechanic friend has managed to put the wrong axles. Now my abs now doesnt work and prevents me from braking safely. Is there a fuse i can pull to disable the abs I have a 1998 legacy outback 5 speed with a 2.5

So the ABS operates whenever you try to brake?

Most cars have a fuse just for the ABS, and it'd labeled ABS.

Dave

My 99 is too sensitive and will not stop in winter conditions so I pull the big black ground wire that connects to the base bolt of the actuator under the hood every winter. The ABS light will be on all the time, but this will do what you want.

How did the axles affect your ABS? The only difference between the late 90's and the early 2000's was that they moved the abs tone ring to the axle in the 2000 models. If he put those on your car you still have the correct rings on the hub and your abs should run just fine. Is your ABS light on? If it is, then he probably damaged the tone ring or the sensor on the hub. I just cannot see how the axles could be at fault. More info please.

My 99 is too sensitive and will not stop in winter conditions so I pull the big black ground wire that connects to the base bolt of the actuator under the hood every winter. The ABS light will be on all the time, but this will do what you want.

I just put the car in neutral and it stops fine.

How did the axles affect your ABS? The only difference between the late 90's and the early 2000's was that they moved the abs tone ring to the axle in the 2000 models. If he put those on your car you still have the correct rings on the hub and your abs should run just fine. Is your ABS light on? If it is, then he probably damaged the tone ring or the sensor on the hub. I just cannot see how the axles could be at fault. More info please.

I agree. Maybe he screwed up the sensors. Usually ABS stops working, it doesnt become hypersensative UNLESS a tone ring is not truning with the axle. Maybe it is loose and free-wheeling.

nipper

I found the abs fuse last night. We did brakes and rotors as well as alxes that ngiht so i have no idea where to start in fixing this problem. the latest problem is the hood ripped up last night while i was driving I have it tied down currently but its even more dented then it was before. does anyone have any idea what a hood goes for?

What color are you looking for? I have a green one from a 96, so it doesn't have the scoop and I may have a line on a white one with the scoop. You are in wilmington NC or Del? Not too far so you could drive down and get the hood and we could even look at your brakes while you are here.

Take the front wheels off and pull the rotors. Look at the tone rings and make sure one of them didn't get broken. I'll bet one is missing part of the ring. If you do have a problem with the ring, there is a JY nearby that I can get an entire hub to replace yours. That is the easiest way to fix the problem. Otherwise, you have to disassemble the hub to get to the tone ring a real PIA.

im in wilmington delaware. the hood for ym car is a 97-99 green with scoop. I was planning on riveting diamond plate steel on the hood to cover up the dents I was going to leave the center part still green because its not dented. I have yet to find a local junk yard i can deal with. ill check the abs rings as soon as i get a lift. does anyone have a picture of what im looking for?

The only difference between the hoods is the scoop and you could retro fit the scoop to the 96 hood if you wanted. The problem with your present hood may be fitment and you may have a latch problem too. That is probably why it popped open. You are lucky that you didn't shatter your windshield. I'm also surprised that you didn't bend the hood up over the roof too. A friend of mine had his let go and his hood was destroyed and so was his windshield. Let me know if you decide you want the 96 hood. It will fit your car without any problem. I think it will look better too.