Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are EJ series engines (or the car itself) hard to work on?

I've had my EA81 hatchback for a while now, and I've rebuilt the engine, did a clutch job, done axles, fuel pump, stuff like that.

If I needed to, for some reason, would it be hard at all to work on this engine?

(like, cam replacement)

Is it hard to pull? replace heads? do exhaust work?

thanks

From what I've noted in working on my car, anything that requires access to the head area (spark plugs, cams, etc.) is a bit of a pain on flat engines, but anything else is surprisingly easy. I swear a friend of mine's jaw was on the floor when he saw how easy the header bolts were to reach (as the exhaust ports are on the bottom of the engine, not the side like on an inline or even a "V" setup).

Removing the transmission (as stated already) is time-consuming but not particularly difficult. The fact that the drivetrain is longitudinal (i.e. the transmission is behind the engine instead of beside it) helps a lot in this area.

Originally posted by ScoobySchmitty

As far as I can tell, it appears it is fairly easy to work on. I have had to pull the tranny only so far, and that wasn't hard, just time consuming. As far as the engine itself, it seems pretty simple, and similar in design to other pancake engines, besides the OHC system.

Did you remove the trans. to replace the clutch? I've read that it's less time consuming to remove the engine.

Anyone care to comment? I'll be due for a clutch replacement before too long.

If you have a working A/C Unit don't pull the engine....what a pain in the rear. I personally have seen a legacy trans ( 5 speed) on the floor in 20 min. Car was on a lift though.... I like the EJ's personally....but the EA81's are the best for being bulletproof in my book.

Matt

Originally posted by subeman90

If you have a working A/C Unit don't pull the engine....what a pain in the rear. I personally have seen a legacy trans ( 5 speed) on the floor in 20 min. Car was on a lift though.... I like the EJ's personally....but the EA81's are the best for being bulletproof in my book.

Matt

How does the A/C get in the way?

After starting off with Scoobs in my Legacy, and now learning an 80's Scoob, my XT, I can assure you the Legacy is MUCH easier to work on. The axles are a snap, you only have one timing belt, FI is much simpler than carbs IMO, wiring is much simpler, no distributor, gear-driven (as opposed to cable-driven) window regulators, etc. etc.

I like my XT, but I LOVE my Legacy :D