Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remanufactured Engines

My Brat motor siezed yesterday and I found one from one of those Jap import places...45,000 miles with a 1yr warranty. Has anyone had any exp. with these? I have heard they come rusted out because of the trip from Japan. But I have never seen one let alone bought one.

Hi. all, Yes, I've bought three 1.8s over the last few years. Two were dandys, still running one in my 88 GL 10 Turbo. One came in lookin' like they'd towed it over behind the boat. It was rusted & corroded so badly, the throttle body was a white ball of fuss. I pulled the pan & cam covers, it was so black & coked inside it literally stank. I called em' back & told him there was no way I was puttin' it in my car. If it was a 40-50 thou. mile engine, then they never changed the oil. He shipped me out another that day, the one I'm running now. He asked that I send him back the heads. One I installed for a friend a few years ago, started a rod knock when it was cold, about 6 mo. later. I called Geof, took the phone out side- fired it up- let him listen. He said, sounds like a rod knock, had another one in a week, no charge. I've had two of their Turbo engines, & they send them complete, turbo & exh. intake and all, they cut the wiring loom at the fire wall, throt. cable- eng. mounts etc. all cut with a hot wrench. Install kit comes w/ new timing belts- crank & cam seals-gaskets- oil filter- etc., all Jap stuff. I think it was $100. when I did mine most recently. I've been real pleased with their service. They are, Foreign Engines 1 800 552 1595. I know there's lots of importers out there, & I can only speak for my experience with these folks. Talked to a friend today, who has a Subie shop in Santa Fe, He told me of one of his clients who bought an engine from an importer in Texas. The motor turned out to be crap, & the guy told him to go screw himself, so be careful. Luck to you in your efforts. S.

A friend of mine owns a place called Metric Motors and he's all about the JDM engines. As I recall, he gives a one year warranty with them and while he does once in a while get a dud, you just can't rebuild an engine right and compete with the price. Plus, most of the JDM stuff is built to a higher standard than the crap they send to the states.

If I were going to buy an import recycled engine, my biggest worry would be the reputation of the shop that's importing the engine. If you've heard good things about them standing behind their product, I say go that route.