Ultimate Subaru Message Board

20 straight Hours (EJ swap endurance test)

SuperchargedRS

Well I loaded up my EJ swapped loyale a bit above max gross for a move from the NW to the FAR SW. I was averaging around 75-80mph the whole time with the pushbutton 5spd.

First off here is what I have in the car.

EJ 2.2 new seals (minus a few which we will get to)

XT6 clutch kit

EA temp gauge probe is mounted on the cross over

EA oil pres is mounted on a adapter

most else is stock rolling on toyos.

My findings:

I dont know how most of you guys drive, but that crappy NA EA radiator DOES NOT WORK FOR EJ SWAPPED CARS! Also make sure all your radiator hoses are heavy duty and of high quality.

I had a new lower hose get a tear in it by the hose clamp, replaced with a heavy duty unit and now no leaks.

Even with full coolant the engine would get over 3/4 deflection on the temp guage, a little higher going through the passes.

For these swaps use a turbo radiator or a EJ radiator.

Next is oil leaks, no matter how good the seals look on a engine swap out ALL the seals, not only is it the PROPER way to do things, it's just plain smart. About 300 miles into my trip my right side valve cover (which looked "good" and were not replaced with the swap) started to weep.

The EA oil pressure adapter needs to be sealed, this item also started to weep, I removed it and used some teflon tape, fixixing the issue.

Aside from that the car preformed really well, also I also havent seen any other loyales in SoSoCal!

I dont know how most of you guys drive, but that crappy NA EA radiator DOES NOT WORK FOR EJ SWAPPED CARS!

Yes it does, your problem is elsewhere. the clogged and dirty radiator that was in my Loyale since it was built kept my EJ22 perfectly cool, even without ANY fan (as long as you're moving more than about 20mph).

That radiator started leaking, so it had to be replaced. but I've done 2 EJ22 swaps using performance radiator all-brass Loyale rads with zero problems. both of them only using one fan.

This is for daily driving, freeway, Autocross, ice racing (grill/bumper packed with snow....), hauling (the loyale has a trailer hitch!), etc.

Same.

I'm running a EJ22 behind a 2 row EA radiator. Never a problem.

My other car has a 2 row EA radiator and a EJ20G that I regularly beat the piss out of it. Only in the heat of battle or super heavy traffic do the fans cycle.

Both motors have OEM thermostats, Paruit (sp?) water pumps, and good hose routing.

I drove the this car HARD in WA for about 1500 miles right after the swap and the temp was always on the low side, fans really didnt come on, all was OK.

The loyale also had a new OEM thermostat, waterpump etc on that trip.

Now loading the loyale slightly past mx gross and driving non stop into the desert of CA at 80mph is a slightly different test.

My thoughts are, if your going to invest that much time and money into one of these cars replace ALL of the seals on the engine and through in a 2 row turbo EA radataor or a EJ radiator.

If I could only have my EJ swapped loyale with a single row (naturally aspirated EA) radiator I would just get a different kind of car as it is not dependable for this kind of work in that configuration.

also the leaking I mentioned earlier was due to a inferior hose, after replacing it the original single row still had heat issues during the drive down and even on short hops down here in the desert.

Edited by SuperchargedRS

I think that due to most (if not almost all) of the EJ swapped cars being based in the north people have been getting away with underrated cooling systems.

This may be why the knee jerk reaction is something must be wrong with MY radiator, instead of something must be wrong with that configuration.

If these single row EA radiator swapped cars were built as production cars they would be massively recalled everywhere south of northern California.

Simply put the single row EA radiator is NOT THE CORRECT radiator for this application, you may get away with it in the north (MN, WA, OR, etc) but it is still not correct.

Do all ea82's overheat in the south? In my experience the ej22 is more efficient in cooling than the ea82. I probably need to partially block the radiator in the winter time here and never had that problem with any ea82's I've had.

I live in southern Arizona and have done 2 EJ swaps in EA82 cars. I have not had any problems doing 70+ for long distances in the desert heat. I did replace the radiator during the swap on one, the other one we used the original rad and it was fine till the air temps were over 100*. Then things started getting warm (over 220 coolant temp), but other than that I have had no problems using the EA82 radiator. I run dual 12" pusher fans tied to the EJ computer to help cooling.

I second a clogged coolant passage somewhere or there is air in the passages.