Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electronic distributor swap for EA63 and EA71 vehicles

I ran into a problem with my old 1988 Subaru 1600DL a year or so ago.

It had ellectronic ignition. The distribrator cap was buggered.

I searched every where for a cap and No one could find one.

Even tryed Subaru with no luck.

In fact I had to convert to points ignition :-\

The cap was like a Ea82T cap but it was sat on the distributer about a 1/4 of a turn out.. ( Its a little hard to explain )

I tryed caps out of every subaru I had wrecked and nothing was the same.

It used screws to hold the cap on.

I was thinking of replacing the disty on my GSR with ellectronic but wouldnt want to end up with not able to pic up replacement cap etc

Edited by kiwi subbie

Yup. I used a 2wd EA81 disty since the vacuum advance curve is a little better then the 4wd curve. Disty and plate like Bill said.

And its been a "couple" years since I did this conversion so I don't remember too much about it.

Sweet. Thanks Man.

I was thinking of replacing the disty on my GSR with ellectronic but wouldnt want to end up with not able to pic up replacement cap etc

Check this out as an alternative

http://www.freewebs.com/pertronix/

I would buy one myself but last I spoke to him the unit cost $300 odd dollars. The conversion explained above seems pretty straight forward and there are enough scrap EA81s to get the parts.

• 7 months later...

Yippee!

Finally I have tracked down an EA81 electronic dizzy!

However it is in need of a re-build. The bushings were so worn that the paddle wheel was touching its corresponding parts.

So I hope it isn't toasted.

Can anyone tell me what the gap is supposed to be between the paddle wheel and its 'connectors' Also clearance between the shaft and its magnet.

Cheers.

Dirk.

Yup! You need an un-resisted coil.

The are about $40 od bucks or just grab one from a wrekers.

I'm told high performance coils are not worth the extra cash for this type of application.

Cheers.

Dirk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Is this the wrong one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Distributor-Subaru-1981-81-1-6L-2WD-Electronic-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c3e45b8bcQQitemZ190023317692QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm looking to buy a distributor now for my car, but the 83+ FWD electronic ones are rather expensive...

I did pull one off a car awhile ago, but I'm really not sure if its any good.

Alright, I inspected the one I pulled out of an '83 FWD awhile ago. Everything seems to be in-spec in terms of the bearing, gear and such, and it cleaned up pretty good so I think I'm going to try it out.

However, I need a new Cap, Rotor, Seal for the cap, and O-ring for the distributor...

• 10 months later...

UPDATE

I have collected almost a dozen of these distributors over the last year and a bit.

It may interest you to know that no two are exactly the same although most parts are interchangable.

This means that you can have heaps of fun rebuilding and tuning!:brow:

I still don't have a reliable tach or dialback timing light so all my tuning is subject to test driving, listening and feeling. Its a long process but quite enjoyable.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I ran into a problem with my old 1988 Subaru 1600DL a year or so ago.

It had ellectronic ignition. The distribrator cap was buggered.

I searched every where for a cap and No one could find one.

Even tryed Subaru with no luck.

In fact I had to convert to points ignition :-\

The cap was like a Ea82T cap but it was sat on the distributer about a 1/4 of a turn out.. ( Its a little hard to explain )

I tryed caps out of every subaru I had wrecked and nothing was the same.

It used screws to hold the cap on.

Try Nissan-Datsun and Mazda for alternate rotor buttons and caps as well as some honda's they all use either mitsubishi or Hitachi distributors on different models,My EA81 Wagon had electronics and used Datto 1600 or 1200 caps and rotor buttons.

My current brat runs a custom Nissan factory Mitsubishi CDI ignition because I had a couple of Spares left over from My Stanza Rally car(Violet HA10) that had all the Group 2 factory Gear,Simple mod to fit a subaru.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a picture of what they did with the extra wires after the conversion? I am using a 78 harness that had a points system in my 79 brat that came with an electronic system and the guy who sold me the harness had cut all of these wires so can't figure out where they all should go.

• 1 year later...