Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

automatic to 5 speed swap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pgh_Scoob

Pgh_Scoob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hey,
I was just wondering how difficult it would be to do a 5 speed swap. What I am looking at is a 97 impreza 2 door that is an automatic. I would be swapping the transmission from my 97 impreza outback sport. I was talking with my brother and he had mentioned about differential differences. I dont know the exact specs but will do my homework if needed. Jut figured I would try and get an idea of what to expect if I try and do this. Or how much it would cost to have done. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

Here's my write-up on my AWD & 5spd conversion. You can ignore the AWD convserion stuff, but the 5spd conversion items should be similar.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap

I'd also suggest searching in the conversion forums on NASIOC as this topic comes up a lot. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums

#3 Pgh_Scoob

Pgh_Scoob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hey,
Thanks bunch. I really appreciate your input.
Greg

#4 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Just as a note, some of his wiring diagrams are a bit funky and take some time
to understand, but overall his writeup it excellent.

I've used it before and it made it a lot easier to do.

Twitch

#5 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

I would swap the harnesses...sensors, etc its waaay easier and every thing is stock.. if you can get the cars to columbus we could work something out...$...beer...funtimes

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,158 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

I would swap the harnesses...sensors, etc its waaay easier and every thing is stock.. if you can get the cars to columbus we could work something out...$...beer...funtimes

Uh....no thanks.

You have to remove the entire dashboard to swap harnesses. And you would need an entire 5spd harness from the same year and model with the same options. If you just swap the trans and the pedal box......you're done.

I mean really how hard is it to solder a half dozen wires or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users