Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyal questions

I'm looking at a '90 loyal L 4d sedan, 5spd, mpfl, with 130k on it.

It starts and runs great but the engine ticks pretty bad.

So my question is, what do I need to do to get this to stop?

And secondly, where these cars all wheel drive in '90, or was it Front or 4x4 as an option?

Thanks,

Roc

Do a search for "lifter noise" or "tick*" and you will see that the subject has been covered ad nauseum in the recent past. Feel free to try any of the recommended fixes, but the only one that seems to work 100% is the tough one - oil pump reseal/replace.

Searching is your friend! Do not fear the search!

Ya I think you are right on the 4x4, I looked in the gallery page but there is a gap between '89 and '91 in the brochures. I'm taking a closer look at the car tomorrow, so I know for sure what it's got.

So what's the opinion on these engines? I'm better aquainted with the EA81's.

If it ticks, check the oil. If it goesaway, great. If not, and you can live with it for the next 100K+ miles, buy it anyway.

I'm almost certain that the 4WD was an option. Loyales never came with AWD, that was limited to a couple of EA82 models at the end of the '80s. (And they called it Full-Time 4WD then, not AWD.) Loyales come with part-time shift-on-the-fly single-range pushbutton 4WD only.

Running 15w40 in a ticking EA82 works damn good.. Mine started doing it last winter, 15-40'd it and it stopped ticking until I changed back to 5w30 this winter because its so cold.

Sometimes I can rev then engine to about 4 grand and keep it there for about a min and the ticking clears up.

Sometimes you can also get the ticking to stop by replacing the oil seals.. If not change the whole pump. 130k, check the timing belts while you have the covers off.