Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Monster wagon vr2 "Monster Sedan" build thread

Subafreak

Well the wagon body is about as destroyed as can be, and there are a few things on it that never got done and really no point in finnishing them up now.

So after a few months debating i have decided to use my old turbo Legacy body as a transplant since the tranny blew up in it and i now have the 240 to drive daily "when there is no snow anyway".

So this time i will try to make it a bit more of a build thread since i never did with the wagon. It's getting most of the lift stuff from the wagon, with a few redesigns along the way.

The doner and recipiant.

DSC00253.jpg

The soon to be lifted sedan.

DSC00252.jpg

This time we will start with the stuff we never finnished on the wagon. Since most of the lift part is already done anyway.

Some clearing for bigger tires, not using the sledge this time.

DSC00251.jpg

Damn thought i took a few more pictures of that progress.....anyway more will come.

And one other little idea i had. Picture this with a double tube bumper under it and you get the idea.

DSC00250.jpg

Easy people, ive had this car for like 12 years and i have kept it as nice a turbo Legacy as i could. But New England winter had won in the end, the day i tapped my rocker panel and my foot went right through it. Trust me it may look like a clean car but it's not as nice as the pictures make it look.

This car has served it's time with me, it was my first semi newish car that i ever had and acctually paid real money for...$7,500 at the time.

Now....if anyone will be interested in some parts off of it I will be parting some stuff out, i will go over it later.

Oh, Paul....I will be up at school today so i wont be around but try to give me a call anyway. ;)

Well this thread will be a bit more indepth of how it all got done the first time.

Well for now the plan is to stick with the STI rearend and axles, but i may consider something a big stronger depending on what i find at the junk yard.

Well this thread will be a bit more indepth of how it all got done the first time.

Well for now the plan is to stick with the STI rearend and axles, but i may consider something a big stronger depending on what i find at the junk yard.

Nissan pickup 720 4x4 has a front diff that will bolt right into the rear of that monster , you could use the axles and hubs from the truck, would need to fab up custom arms to hold the axle bearings, , not sure the ratio maybe 4.10

Nissan pickup 720 4x4 has a front diff that will bolt right into the rear of that monster , you could use the axles and hubs from the truck, would need to fab up custom arms to hold the axle bearings, , not sure the ratio maybe 4.10

the sti stuffs, and the nissan 720 stuff is equivocably the same.....r180.

cheers, brain

Yeah, idk the last time i even saw a Nissan 720 pick up around here...?

As for the rear struts, i dont think the axles would like anything with a longer travle than it's already got. Kinda limited to the Subaru stuff, but we shall see what happens.

So we got busy this weekend swapping over the parts and reworking some stuff.

We just about got the rear compleatly done.

Here is the basic rear subframe lift. 6 1/2" channel iron with an offset to increase the wheelbase and a bar conecting the two sides that bolts to the body for extra latteral support.

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Ah yes...and the rear struts. These interesting works of....um...art?

Started life as an outback strut and then were chopped and sorted to get them in just the right place to deal with the lift and the offset, yet still clear the stock rims that were on the back.

With the offset wheels that are on it now plus the wider STI rear end there is a bit more room to play with but for now these struts are still good and they are very strong......heavy and ugly but strong.

Compared to a stock outback strut.

DSC00260.jpg

In the car.

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

IDK why i posted those twice????

Moving on!

The STI rear cross-member. This little bracket on top is going to be part of the new front diff support (front of the rear diff) The old design we had some breakage problems with plus it was a pain to drop the diff if needed.

DSC00272.jpg

In the car.

DSC00267.jpg

I should also note that this subframe has the solid metal bushings in it, so it is bolted solid!

DSC00266.jpg

The trailing arms. Basicly two stock trailing arms welded together and braced. Even with the drop of welding one arm under the other they were still hitting the lateral links under full droop, so we added a bend at the end for better clearance this time.

DSC00273.jpg

On the car.

DSC00275.jpg

Just to compare stock Turbo Legacy rear axles to STI axles.

DSC00274.jpg